Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i pulled apart the rearset, and i cant get the linkage tuned in again to get smooth shifts...i've got it so that i get all the gears....but it's definatly not smooth.

what are the steps in tuning that in?

thanks!

· Registered
6,557 Posts
There are two adjustments that are important, and one affects the other.

First, see if the toe lever is where you want it, comfortable for your foot position.

Now look at the arrangements of the two levers the tie bar is attached to. One from the tie bar to the transmission shift shaft, the other (part of the shift pedal) from the tie bar to the foot pedal pivot point. Those two levers should be as close to parallel as you can get them.

Sometimes you have to remove the transmission lever from its shaft and rotate a tooth or two on the spline, then readjust the length of the tie bar for your foot position. Sometimes readjusting the tie bar length moves the levers out of parallel again and you have to try again. Usually two tries at the most will get it right.

· Registered
45 Posts
When you went to reinstall the shifter on the shaft, did you removed the pinch bolt entirely so the shifter slides all the way back on the shaft? Otherwise it only goes on about 1/4 inch, and it could twist and cause rough/clunky shifting.

· Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, i totally removed the linkage and took the whole rearset apart....

i guess i'll try andyauger's suggestion and see how close to parallel i can get them....

thanks for any help!

· OberKommandant
12,382 Posts
To add to what Andy said, in addition to making sure those two levers ar parallel to each other, make sure they are as close to perpendicular as you can get them to the linkage that conencts them.

If your shifting is still not smooth, change your oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.