Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
mainly if you have a flat tire? Most people do not have a center stand. If you roll the bike around looking for a nail, don't you run the risk of slicing the tire or puncturing it again because of the nail inside?

I guess on long trips it would be nice to have some CO2 cartridges and a tire repair kit. Pump the tire up, roll the bike looking for the nail, plug it, then pump it up again? I'm just wondering how you do it without creating a disaster. Sorry if this seems stupid, but I'm kind of new at this.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Carry a plug kit (worms with glue, not the self-gluing type) and a compact bicycle pump. Roll the bike until you find the culprit. If it is in the tread, if it goes in relatively straight, and if it is a round puncture (screw, nail, etc.) pull it out and install the plug. Pump up with the pump and ride off. You could just pump up and see how bad the leak is. If it is very small try to ride conservatively to a safer area.

Don't even try to patch if the puncture is a cut (like from a broken piece of metal) or if the puncture is in the sidewall. My rule of thumb is that I won't plug if the puncture is past the last groove in the tread toward the sidewall. I have worn out tires with plugs in them.

I am riding a tire right now that has a nail in it. It doesn't leak, so I'm not going to try to fix it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
i don't think rolling the bike to find the nail would cause any more problems than it already has. bike tires are pretty sturdy and even if you had 0psi in it the bike wouldn't sit flat on the rim.

even if the tire was flat so the rim was on the ground, the nail would probably be hitting the inside of the rim if it were long enough. i think you'd really have to work at it to make the nail cause another puncture from the inside out if that is what you are worried about.

personally, unlike andy, i don't think i'd be riding around on a patched tire afterwards for very long. it may work perfectly fine and you may never have a problem with the tire, but that is 50% of your traction and that is too big of a gamble for me. :-\

·
Registered
408 Posts
Slime and a mini air compressor goes with me on all long trips. Just remember to have a valve core tool handy for the Slime installation.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
i hope i never have too... :-X

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
you can slowly ride with a nail in the tire. You must carefully check tire pressures and do it often. once home, do what needs to be done. Riding alot on a nailed tire is dangerous.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Like andyauger, I've worn out plugged tires before. I've installed many in customer tires with no problems, ever. Do it correctly they're safe.  I've even hit 140 on gsxr750 with a plugged tire, well........ that  zx7r pasted me and I forgot about the plug  ::)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Two seasons ago I flatted and had to sit on the shoulder while wife rode to get a plug kit.  I actually HAD a pump with me--no plugs, though.  While she's gone, I find a mega slice in tire.  She shows up with plug kit about now and there is no other option.  I rode about 2 miles, down highway, around cloverleaf, over bridges, merging traffic until I reached the ONE shop that is open on Sunday.  They sell tires.  They mount tires.  They don't remove or reinstall wheels from bikes.  My friends, both named Andy Jackson, suggested I might borrow a rear stand and pull wheel myself.  Tool kit out, wheel off, tire off/on, wheel on and paid up.  Back on my way to enjoying a three day weekend.

Always good to have friends named Andy Jackson to ride with.  Those guys can make some unreal stuff happen in a key moment.

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Personally I wouldnt ride with a nail in the tire...wheter it leaks or not. I did that with my truck once, figuring I would just get home and take care of it there. Big mistake. I was cruising down the highway when BANG the nail flies out of the tire and wails into the inner fender. The tire goes flat fast. Not that big of a deal in my truck...but on a bike: OH BABY!

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
friends with pick up trucks ;D

·
Registered
119 Posts
;D I added a center stand from SW- motech to help with that problem. Some sort of electric inflator is the best option. MCN - online has directions for building one for about $25. CO2 is good for adjustments or get the tire started on reinflation.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
RandyO said:
will they come get you 1000 miles from home?
if i'm going 1000 miles away from home its gonna be in a plane not on a bike atleastnot until i get sport tourer.

·
Registered
408 Posts
B.a. said:
if i'm going 1000 miles away from home its gonna be in a plane not on a bike atleastnot until i get sport tourer.
Why not? My wife rode her SV650 3000 miles from TX to the Tail of the Dragon and back in less than a week and she was fine. I'm sure if a little Asian girl can do it so can you. ;D

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
B.a. said:
if i'm going 1000 miles away from home its gonna be in a plane not on a bike  atleastnot until i get sport tourer.
so what if your ST breaks down 1000 miles from home?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
B.a. said:
if i'm going 1000 miles away from home its gonna be in a plane not on a bike  atleastnot until i get sport tourer.
I don't understand either. SV's are more than capable. A buddy and I plan on riding down to the Dragon next year from PA.

·
Registered
536 Posts
2wheelsrbest said:
Always good to have friends named Andy Jackson to ride with. Those guys can make some unreal stuff happen in a key moment.
Sage advice, for sure.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
axeman said:
I don't understand either.  SV's are more than capable.  A buddy and I plan on riding down to the Dragon next year from PA.
i was contemplating that but i just can't fit enough stuff on the sv if wasn't getting a high mount and i could put saddle bags on it then i'd consider it.

oh yah and i was just being a wise @$$ number one best tool for road side repair is a set of large vice grips. not really for bolts but for other things like pins and stuff also large vice grips make good hammers in a pinch.

·
Registered
408 Posts
B.a. said:
i was contemplating that but i just can't fit enough stuff on the sv if wasn't getting a high mount and i could put saddle bags on it then i'd consider it.
Kinda like this?........ ;D

I think we got all her luggage for less than $120 total and it worked great. We didn't even have to expand the saddle bags and we were gone for 7 days. That includes all camping gear as well. The SV is a more than capable tourer if you want it to be. Our average cruising speed was around 90-95 and it did just fine keeping up with me. Gas milage went downhill on it real fast though when cruising around at those speeds for 100 some miles. If I remember right, it dropped down to around 30 mpg. :'(

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
DFW_Warrior said:
Kinda like this?........ ;D

I think we got all her luggage for less than $120 total and it worked great.  We didn't even have to expand the saddle bags and we were gone for 7 days.  That includes all camping gear as well.  The SV is a more than capable tourer if you want it to be.  Our average cruising speed was around 90-95 and it did just fine keeping up with me.  Gas milage went downhill on it real fast though when cruising around at those speeds for 100 some miles.   If I remember right, it dropped down to around 30 mpg. :'(
thats kool but i'm getting a high mount can and that kills the saddle bags. and if my girl friend doesn't learn to ride by then there goes the trunk bag. and a tank bag won't cut it for two people.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.