Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search and I have a list of recommended tailbags. However, I'm not sure of how to attach something like that and not cause damage to the bike. I see two "posts" on the grap rail, and I also see attachment points near the rear pegs..but how should this work? Anything I do would seem to rub on the paint..and I don't want anything to slide or fall off. Any pictures available?

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Well you can't really avoid the bungee straps rubbing on the paint unless you try to put something between them. I use a Cortech tailbag on my SV. I always used the hook at the rear pegs and the rear fender (I have the stock fender on my 05). It never caused any damage to the paint.

You could always find an extra rear seat and buy a top box and mount it to the seat. That would eliminate straps of any kind and easily removed with the key.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
Duct tape, hauling straps.

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
My cortech tailbag has bungees attached. I wrap the bungees around/under my rear seat. It fits back on the bike. I carry my laptop that way and the bag doesn't come loose or anything.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Want a picture? I'm already taking pictures of stuff I'm selling on CL, so I'm already using my camera and posting pictures on my website.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm not crazy about it touching the paint, but at least it holds the bag securely. I think the elastic in the cords is getting loose, so I may move the knot up the the cord.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Ok, I attach mine to my rear seat. I normally ride with the seat cowl instead so it makes it easier to swap out. It is really tight and will not come off. If I pull up to the house it takes 10 seconds to put it on.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I do the same as Dream36realms. I have the Cortech one, just pull the bungees out and go get some utility straps, the black ones with the plastic buckle jobbies. Run them diagonally through the bungee holes, and criss cross under the rear seat/cowl. Holds tight and doesn't touch any paint if you have a seat.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Like these?

Seems like a good idea. It'd be nice not to have those bungee's coming lose and snagging on everything I walk by.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Yup, those are them. I use some rubber bands (the ones that came on the straps actually) just below the adjustable buckle to keep it from sliding, but I don't think I really need it. It is very solid. I use them mostly with just the tail bag, but have used it with very full saddle bags and had no problems at all.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I have the cortech bag and use the included bungie cords - it does rub the paint. If that is a major concern you will have to do something to prevent it. It's not horrible but the paint does look a little dull where the cords sit.

J-Dog suggested some clear adhesive sheet where the bungies rub - seemed like it would fix any problems

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
I have a Cortech and just attach it to the seat. Just criss-cross the bungees to each other under the seat like so.

Stays put perfectly and comes off in seconds.
I did slide the hooks up the bungee a bit and tied a new knot to shorten them up so it fit a big more snug.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I do the same as Dream36realms. I have the Cortech one, just pull the bungees out and go get some utility straps, the black ones with the plastic buckle jobbies. Run them diagonally through the bungee holes, and criss cross under the rear seat/cowl. Holds tight and doesn't touch any paint if you have a seat.
Nice idea - guess you could put the clips under the seat and at least it would be a bit challenging to steal the tail bag.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts