Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My riding position on my SV is kind of cramped. My feet tend to point downward and I have to lift my foot up to use the rear brake. I've looked in the shop manual and can't find any information on positioning the pedal downward.

Does anyone know how to do this?

·
Registered
542 Posts
There is a threaded rod on the rear brake master cyl it has jam nuts on it loosen the and turn the rod I believe you need a ten and twelve mm wrench.

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yea, I've seen the threaded rod and a nut at the top, just below the master cylinder. There's a rubber boot above the nut and I haven't been able to pull it out of the way to see if there's anything under the boot to lock against or adjust. On the bottom, there's another nut and a bolt head inside the bracket attached to the brake pedal.

Here's a picture:
[/IMG]

Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Proper riding position dictates that the balls of your feet should be on the peg -- not hanging off with your heel resting.
Maybe you don't have size 14 feet. My heel isn't on the peg. :angry5:

I have a legitimate question. If you have no help to offer, why respond?

·
Registered
628 Posts
You're right, I don't have size 14 feet. But I still don't see how you could possibly be hitting the brake lever with your toes if your foot is in the right position. I commented on your heel resting on the peg so that you understood exactly what I meant.

I'm sorry that you took my advice so poorly, but as far as I'm concerned, it was a legitimate answer. I still suggest that you inspect your riding posture, regardless of your gargantuan foot size.

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
Proper riding position dictates that the balls of your feet should be on the peg -- not hanging off with your heel resting.
Correction, proper sport riding technique. I have been riding 29 years and learned early "proper riding position" is not for everybody. I don't rest my heel on the peg, but I'm not exactly on the balls of my feet either. When commuting in town I find it's best to have my feet placed for quick shifts and braking, not wasting time sliding my feet all over the pegs.

Listen to promazda, he has the adjustment procedure down.

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
I ride with the peg against the heels of my boots. That's how a majority of riders position their feet. It's secure on bumpy roads and puts both feet where they can operate the controls (once the controls are positioned properly).

Some folks ride on the balls of their feet if they're leaning hard during cornering. That's fine because it keeps your toes off the ground (which can be dangerous). Other than that, I would recommend riding on your instep.

Another thing is that your calves can get fatigued if you're on the balls of your feet for too long.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Interesting. I'm always on the balls of my feet, both commuting and spirited riding -- I find it takes me just as long to reposition my feet to shift/brake as it does to reach for my levers with my fingers (but I also have a more manageable foot).

I'm sorry my advice was no good to you, but don't think that I was just throwing it out there for no reason.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had thought that proper riding technique was to rest the heel of your foot on the peg, ball on the pedal. Very similar to keeping 2 fingers on the brake lever at all times. I find that this gives me the very quickest reaction time, no precious wasted time shuffling around to find the lever/pedal you need.

I guess in the end the "proper riding technique" is whatever works best for you.

I do have the same problem as you though, sometimes I'm depressing the brake pedal and I don't even know it. Were you able to adjust it?

·
Banned
296 Posts
Remove the pin that connects the brake lever to the plunger (pain in the arse b/c the cotter pin is in the back). Loosen the top 12mm? nut on top of the c-bracket. Spin the bracket (down to raise pedal) a couple of rounds. Slip the pin back in to check position and replace the cotter pin when you're comfortable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looking at the pic you posted, it seems you need a brake pedal return spring also.
Mine was missing from my 08 K8. The dealership replaced it free.

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looking at the pic you posted, it seems you need a brake pedal return spring also.
Mine was missing from my 08 K8. The dealership replaced it free.
I think that the spring is concealed on the K6, it's definitely spring loaded.

·
Banned
296 Posts
I was wondering what that extra hole was for.... definately missing the spring

·
Premium Member
4,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was wondering what that extra hole was for.... definately missing the spring
Oh CARP! I just looked at the shop manual and they show a spring that, apparently, is missing on my bike. Weird.

Could some of you other guys check and see if you have a return spring on your rear brake pedal?

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
There is a hole for a spring behind where the master cylinder connects, but it's not used on all years of the SV's even though it shows one in the shop manual. I don't know which years yet (but a few) just have the brake return spring hooked up in the same place as the rear brake light switch. Check there for two springs, if you only have one and it's connected to the brake light switch, you have a problem.

·
Banned
296 Posts
Oh yeah, I should have mentioned - if you adjust the foot brake, you will also need to adjust the brake switch. It's plastic so be careful.

BTW, mine definately has the spring - 03 SV650S

1 - 19 of 19 Posts