Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to hear opinions about how the sv handles at the track or fast backroads riding with the stock handle bars. I have only ridden one bike with upright bars and that was a ducati 620. The steering was way twitchier than my sv with clipons. During spirited rides the front end felt really unstable. Is this how the naked sv feels at high speed? Can you get enough weight on the front tire with the higher bars?

Thanks! :-*

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
wonderjosh said:
I'd like to hear opinions about how the sv handles at the track or fast backroads riding with the stock handle bars. I have only ridden one bike with upright bars and that was a ducati 620. The steering was way twitchier than my sv with clipons. During spirited rides the front end felt really unstable. Is this how the naked sv feels at high speed? Can you get enough weight on the front tire with the higher bars?

Thanks!  :-*
You got it head on. You can compensate for this by raising the forks. I went from SM Type 1's back to stock and notice it is much twitchier. But then again I am at 10mm of tube showing instead of the stock flush. It's nice because you have tons of leverage, but you get a nervous feeling in long sweepers (or at least I do). It's good for tight, motard like maneuver's.

But for track I will use the SM's or my Woodcraft clip-ons.
For commuting/winter riding/city hauling/spirited back roads, I'll use the stock bars with DL handguards

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wacky_woodchuck said:
You got it head on. You can compensate for this by raising the forks. I went from SM Type 1's back to stock and notice it is much twitchier. But then again I am at 10mm of tube showing instead of the stock flush. It's nice because you have tons of leverage, but you get a nervous feeling in long sweepers (or at least I do). It's good for tight, motard like maneuver's.

But for track I will use the SM's or my Woodcraft clip-ons.
For commuting/winter riding/city hauling/spirited back roads, I'll use the stock bars with DL handguards
so you dont think it would be too much of a pain in the ass to switch between bars and clip ons? I cant decide if it would be worth the hassle for me... but I did really like the leverage and stability/comfort in normal street riding.. hmm, decisions decisions.

someone buy me another sv so i can have both :)

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Twitchiness doesn't come from the bars. If the front end is right you can put any type bars on the bike and it will be stable. Wider bars give better steering control, clip ons offer less wind resistance and make tucking in easier. On tighter tracks wider bars are often easier to manipulate. The input forces are lower, more movement results in less of a directional change leading to finer control.

I've always been amazed at how stable the SV is. I'd take it to the track with any bars.

·
Registered
430 Posts
go for the drag bar and call it a day. I like mine. If all I did was track riding I'd put on clip ons, but the drag bar has been a great compromise for me. no issues at all daily commuting. I did notice a big difference when I first put on the drag bar over the stock one on how much more effort I had to put into the bar to get it to turn.

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
I've got one of each model, a naked and a S. I take the naked one to track days and got use to really having to tuck in tight on the straights. Got to tuck your elbows straight down. I suppose you don't have to but less wind resistance means faster. I notice the S model gives you the feeling of being lower to the ground while cornering even though your butt isn't. I'm sure I can brake a little later and tail brake better stuffing the standard model into a corner. And to top it all off, the blue standard models seems to have more HP than the red S model. I'm quite sure it's the color that makes the difference ;)

·
Premium Member
947 Posts
Forgot to add about stability, no problems at all. At Loudon the wheel gets very light in a couple of spots and lifts and skips along and it handles it like a champ.

·
Registered
536 Posts
punkjumper said:
go for the drag bar and call it a day. I like mine. If all I did was track riding I'd put on clip ons, but the drag bar has been a great compromise for me. no issues at all daily commuting. I did notice a big difference when I first put on the drag bar over the stock one on how much more effort I had to put into the bar to get it to turn.
[threadjack]

Do you have any tank clearance issues with the dragbar? A guy who moved out of my house recently (a former SV forum member, actually) left behind a drag bar, and I've been pondering putting it on. Perhaps this weekend, while the GF is out of town ...

[/threadjack, sorry]

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
LIke Andy said, the bars don't add twitchiness... just the sensation of twitchiness.

For me a bar swap takes maybe an hour or so. With clip ons it's less as I'm taking stuff off to use them. A drag bar os SM type 1's offer a sweet compromise, but like you... the stock bars are so nice for daily commuting.

From what I've read, you're gonna have to do some experiementing.

·
Registered
430 Posts
e lo said:
[threadjack]

Do you have any tank clearance issues with the dragbar?
[/threadjack, sorry]
it does clear just barely. you have to twist the starter and signal housing just a touch so the horn/ starter don't hit. My fingers don't hit the tank at full lock, thats all you really need. I rotate the brake lever as far forward as it will go till it hits the fork cap. ( have my forks raised 11mm so yours might be different) If you didn't already notice there will be no hole drilled in the bar for the 2 instrument housings....it is easier to grind off the plastic nub on the housing rather than drill the bar.

·
Registered
536 Posts
punkjumper said:
it does clear just barely. you have to twist the starter and signal housing just a touch so the horn/ starter don't hit. My fingers don't hit the tank at full lock, thats all you really need. I rotate the brake lever as far forward as it will go till it hits the fork cap. ( have my forks raised 11mm so yours might be different) If you didn't already notice there will be no hole drilled in the bar for the 2 instrument housings....it is easier to grind off the plastic nub on the housing rather than drill the bar.
Great, thanks for the info!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts