Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A bit of a random one but here it goes.

About 12 years ago, I bought a used 2006 SV650S that only had about 1,600 miles on it. For one reason or another (mostly immediately leaving for grad school and life taking over), I didn't end up riding it much myself, so it probably still only has 1,700 miles on it. It's been PNOed under a cover for over a decade now, and I'm finally getting around to cleaning up/selling off a bunch of old stuff that's been collecting dust.

Looking at prices in the marketplace and not sure what even makes sense here for an asking price. I see similar vintage bikes with tons of mileage in the $4k range, so feel like it should be more than that, but on the other hand, those bikes have presumably been used/maintained and likely don't need immediate attention.

The good:
Basically brand new, mechanically.
Have a lower cowl kit for the bike that I never finished putting on.

The bad:
Sitting for over a decade, so likely needs new battery, new tires, inspections to make sure other mechanical components are good.
Had been mildly low-sided (by prior ownership) so some scrapes on the stock muffler and foot pegs.

Any thoughts on a realistic price here?

·
Premium Member
703 Posts
Just because they're advertised for $4k doesn't mean they're selling for $4k. Yours sounds like a sweet bike to pick up on, but to get the prices you're reffering to, you're going to have to run across someone with a lot of ready cash that's heavy into SV650s. For reference, in June 2020 I gave $2600 for my bone stock 4700 mile '09 S with the factory lowers, no downs, no problems. All it took to actually reliably ride it was new tires.
You can throw it out there for $4k and see what you get. But realistically, for what is currently a non running, mildly rashed bike, even with the low miles, on the general market, maybe half that.

·
Registered
2003 Suzuki SV 650
30 Posts
My o5 sat for a number of years.. Sounds about the same as far as condition. I paid $800 for mine which was also PNO for a number of years. Needs a fuel pump,and a battery. Walnut blasted the inside of the tank. When it gets to be a runner I will part with it and ask $1400. Older fuel injected bikes are not easy to sort out. Curse the fools that mandated alcohol in fuel.

·
Registered
2008 SV650S
198 Posts
I would make sure it runs and there’s no leaks. You’ll have more leverage if you’re certain the bike is mechanically sound. Otherwise, you’re looking at maybe $2k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2003 Suzuki SV 650
30 Posts
Don't forget the fuel lines beneath the tank and the insulating pad. Glad it worked out well. It's nice in the vid that you stress that bikes like these are not for newbies. Drain some oil before warm up to make sure the sump doesn't have condensation in it.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,568 Posts
That's what I've read. It was a balmy 35F when I woke up. Just for my info, are you going to go with stock blinkers to replace the junk in your vid, or will you use after market. I ask because my fronts are trash.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts