Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I slapped 4 Buell Lightning blinkers on my '01 this weekend. They look awfully sharp, but they blink a little too quickly for my taste. Any suggestions on how to go about slowing it down a tad? I wouldn't mind having them blink a little faster than the stockers did -- the better to get cager's attention, I would think -- but they're too hyperactive as they are.

Since they blink faster when one of the bulbs on a side is burned out, I assume that the more rapid blinking must be due to decreased resistance through the closed part of the circuit. Is that the case? And, if so, can I just toss a resistor in-line (one per side) and slow things down?

·
Registered
278 Posts
You hit it with the resistor. Just put a small one in line. I would buy several small ones and tape them in until you get the blinker speed you want then soder after that.

·
Registered
830 Posts
e lo said:
I slapped 4 Buell Lightning blinkers on my '01 this weekend. They look awfully sharp, but they blink a little too quickly for my taste. Any suggestions on how to go about slowing it down a tad? I wouldn't mind having them blink a little faster than the stockers did -- the better to get cager's attention, I would think -- but they're too hyperactive as they are.

Since they blink faster when one of the bulbs on a side is burned out, I assume that the more rapid blinking must be due to decreased resistance through the closed part of the circuit. Is that the case? And, if so, can I just toss a resistor in-line (one per side) and slow things down?
hmm.. buy some resistors for me too. i have a pair of Buell lights on the way.
does this mean the lights are less bright than the stock SV lights (less resistance = less light???)

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yellow650 said:
hmm.. buy some resistors for me too. i have a pair of Buell lights on the way.
does this mean the lights are less bright than the stock SV lights (less resistance = less light???)
Well, if the filament was the only resistance-generating element in the lights, that would probably be the case, but I can't really detect any significant brightness difference, at least by eye. I'm going to get a little resistor sampler pack at Ye Olde Radio Shack and try a few out as Throttlecrazed suggested. Once we figure out which one(s) we want, I'll pick up enough for both of us.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
NOOOOOOOO!

Screw the resistors. Just go down to your local Walmart or Autozone and get some 1156NA bulbs. You will need to ditch the amber cover inside the Buell signals, but the 1156NA bulbs are amber anyway. These bulbs have the right resistance for the SV, and you will have a normal blink. They're like $2-3 for a pair, too.

It's what I have in my Buell signals....

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the tip, OG! I'll go with that as a first try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts