Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering upgrading my old 99 SV650s.... and the 07 SV1000s caught my eye at a dealership lately......

What I am wondering... is how much of a difference would there be from the 99 SV650s and a 2003+ SV1000s

granted the acceleration and top speed will be a huge difference... but I am talking about the flickability and braking.... I've become acustomed to how well I can throw the SV650s around... would there be much of a difference on the sv1000s the weight is not too much different...

· Registered
129 Posts
I can only pass on what I've been told. The 1000 (that i have) is more torquey, more horsepower, and more weight. Less flicky, but more grunt when you get on it. My bike's a beast, and I wouldn't ever go less. The weight is a non factor for me. I hit the twisties just fine, ride 2 up and don't even know there's a passenger on board, as I pass other bikes in the hills and turns. The bike makes me smile everytime I ride it. If you want a zip around town quickly bike, that may be the 650, although I don't see why the 1000 isn't that bike as well. Both sides will argue, but I'm not gonna knock either bike...I love mine, as I'm sure the 650 owners love theirs.

Oh, and braking.......not bad at all, but it could be a little stronger in my opinion. My solution: don't ride like a retard, and the brakes are adequate.

· Premium Member
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I might get into less trouble on a bigger bike... I find more and more I am driving more and more agressively on the SV.... which may not be such a good thing... granted the SV1000 has more power.. but I think if I knew I couldn't toss it around like a dwarf at a drunken circus frat party.... it would help me tame it down a bit.......

Then again I could do stuff with a maxim 650 that some people can't do on sport bikes....

Anyway... they aren't that different in size... so I was just curious.... not too many shops like to let people test drive the sport bikes...

· Registered
799 Posts
You may not think it's a lot... but you can definately feel that extra 50 lbs. or so that the 1000 weighs. It's also taller and you feel that weight up top. Granted I'm only 5'7". =)

Whether it's loading it on a truck or throwing it about in the tight stuff etc.
I've had the 1k and both gen 650's. While the 1000 in stock form is more stable at high speed sweepers, the 650 does just fine.

I only have the 650's now. For me it's a fit thing and the superior flickability of the 650 that gives loads of confidence. Riding in the mountains with friends who are no slouches there's not much difference whether I'm on a liter twin or 650. I'll go as far to say that I'm easily on the quicker/safer side on the 650.

I'd also say that I prefer more cornerspeed over the point and shoot style that you generally have to adapt to on a larger bike. I live for the technical stuff, be it roads or track. Just personal preference.

If I were hitting the highway alot I'd probably opt back to the 1k. Otherwise I think the 650 has it covered everywhere else unless you care about top speed and arm yanking torque.

· Premium Member
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hahah that is kind of what I am looking for... the SV is miles better than the Maxim I used to have.. but as I am a fairly muscular guy (5'7 and 210) the 650 seems like it could do with a touch more power... (not that I want to wheelie it like a squid.... but I'd like to bring the nose up if I really wanted to) I'd like 80-100hp I still remember when I test drove a V-Max and an older tweaked FJ1200.... sure it handled like a pig... but come on... the torque and feel you get with a minor twist of the throttle is soooo much more fun....
(the liter bikes like the ninja or cbr or hayabusa are too crotch for me)

My SV is only about 65 hp and it is older ... I can beat on it... but I am looking for a twin which has some balls without sucking in the corners...

How would you say the sv1000 is compared to the TL1000 or the super hawk/fire hawk.... s#!t hawk whatever the thing is.....

How is the 1000 on the highway compared to the 650?

· Registered
799 Posts
I haven't ridden either the TL or the Superhawk but they are what got me interested in twins early on since they came out the yr. I started riding. =) The TL's are a bit more powerful and the SV1k may be a better overall handling package out of the box.

The Superhawk is probably similar to the SV in terms of power and seems to be a fairly good handling bike. I know some guys who have them and do quite well in the twisty bits.

On the highway the SV1k just toodles along nice and easy at lower rpm's than the 650. They have that power to run taller gearing and pull. Passing at higher speeds don't need to be planned quite as much as the 650. It's just more relaxed overall.

· Registered
47 Posts
I haven't been on a 650, so I can't compare the two, but I have noticed that the 1k is very smooth on the highway. Sucks ballz with a passenger though.:p
On winding back roads, the 1k is pretty flickable, but like someone mentioned earlier you can definitely feel the weight difference vs. a 600-650cc bike. The stock suspension will let you know that it sux the first time you have to slow or stop in a hurry. The way the front end dives under hard braking, increases the pucker-factor greatly.

· Premium Member
3,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't been on a 650, so I can't compare the two, but I have noticed that the 1k is very smooth on the highway. Sucks ballz with a passenger though.:p
On winding back roads, the 1k is pretty flickable, but like someone mentioned earlier you can definitely feel the weight difference vs. a 600-650cc bike. The stock suspension will let you know that it sux the first time you have to slow or stop in a hurry. The way the front end dives under hard braking, increases the pucker-factor greatly.
That is one thing that I didn't care for on the SV650.... the front forks are sucking much a s s... I can make do with the power... I don't know why suzuki just didn't increase the price a little and put good product in the forks from the start... it wouldn't cost them much more and they already have much of the parts they use on the gsxr... I guess I could sort of see them doing it for the 650 but the 1k? That bike is bigger and heavier....

ah well I guess I should find one and take it for a test drive.... if a shop will let me :p

· Registered
997 Posts
That is one thing that I didn't care for on the SV650.... the front forks are sucking much a s s... I can make do with the power... I don't know why suzuki just didn't increase the price a little and put good product in the forks from the start... it wouldn't cost them much more and they already have much of the parts they use on the gsxr... I guess I could sort of see them doing it for the 650 but the 1k? That bike is bigger and heavier....

ah well I guess I should find one and take it for a test drive.... if a shop will let me :p
Thats the thing its a budget bike and I think its great that they do it cheaper with a cheaper suspension...

That way the owner gets to decide what he wants, yeah they could do a GSX-R fork but then its no longer a budget bike, more realisitically it would just be stiffer springs and thicker oil etc...

But by making it inexpensive (and inadequate) the rider gets to pick exactly what they want/need, they pick a spring weight for their own weight exactly and also they can decide if they really need emulators or not... Or a penske vs. a $65 shock swap...

It allows the rider to decide how far they want to take it...

I used to build model rockets (BIG rockets, hundreds of pounds, going dozens of miles up, not the small scale stuff) and as the kits (I did a lot of scratch stuff to but kits are fun every now and then) got more advanced they came with less parts, specifically say recovery stuff. So while one company may be $150's more and come with a complete recovery system, I prefer the budget kit that allows me to pick exactly what components I want... So I don't waste the parts with the more expensive "better deal, complete package" kit that I don't want to use.

· Registered
18 Posts
I have had my 1k for over a year now, and i first rode a friends 02 650 and loved it but wanted alittle more, tried out another friends 05 650, not bad, but MORE POWER is what i wanted. I like canyon carving and what not, and every once in a while riding on one wheel, but mostly just knowing i have it. I will say this, If you get a 1000, go buy some perelli corsa3 tires, they make it handle so much better! the breaking isnt to bad, i have gotten some fade on hard pucker stops but thats it. any new sv id recomend getting a TRE and adjusting your TPS. and really if you want to loose that 50 lbs. get some new exhaust like a 2-1. the 1000 is a **** good bike that if you out grow for somereason, I want to know where you live to find out what kinda streets you have! awsome bike Id say go for it!

· Registered
1,459 Posts
I've ridden a TL1000s but own a 650.

I'd say it depends largely on what type of riding you do. If you ride a lot of really tight mountain roads like I do, the 650 is better IMO. With lots of tight "S" curves, so called "flickability" (transition) is very important to me. I just just prefer a lighter bike for enjoying those types of roads. And I am more comfortable riding aggressively than if I was on a larger bike.

Otherwise, I use my bike for running errands and trips into town and the 650 is perfectly fine for that. However, I would prefer to have the 1000 for longer trips - especially involving Interstate highways - where the exra power can be appreciated (I weigh about 240 lbs w/o gear.) Aggressive riding on roads you don't know is not a good idea anyway.

· Premium Member
8,657 Posts
I am considering upgrading my old 99 SV650s.... and the 07 SV1000s caught my eye at a dealership lately......

What I am wondering... is how much of a difference would there be from the 99 SV650s and a 2003+ SV1000s

granted the acceleration and top speed will be a huge difference... but I am talking about the flickability and braking.... I've become acustomed to how well I can throw the SV650s around... would there be much of a difference on the sv1000s the weight is not too much different...
I think that it is pretty much all discussed in here: http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=75937

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.