Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a new top on my bellypan at the moment- my system routes the piping differently than the stock system and so the bellypan needed quite a lot of work to get it to fit. Just wondered how close you think I should cut the exhaust hole to the actual exhaust? It's painted fibreglass if that makes any difference.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
that's kinda tricky to answer... I would say give it at least a good 1/4" of breathing room

I had 2WJ fairings painted and installed on my bike with stock exhaust and was very upset when the header pipe scorched my lower fairing. It had about 1/8" or more of clearance but the heat was still too intense and seemed like it needed lots of clearance for the paint not to bubble.

so I repaint my fairings and I cut out a slot in the area where the scorched paint was. I am hoping this will be enough to protect surrounding area but not sure and will just have to wait and see. Almost considered getting some brake caliper or engine paint to paint the lower half of the bottom fairing.

Good luck ;)

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's more or less what I've got, but I started getting The Fear :) I wish I could remember what it had as standard... But I chopped the bellypan up about a year ago, and never bothered rebuildign the bracket till last week ;D

K

·
0 Posts
i have a pyramid belly pan.
it touches my header pipe.
i always waited for it to melt.
some reason never has. i really have no clue why
i tried moving it over but no so i jus left it..

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
i had that problem with the body work as well

get yourself some heat shield, the kind they use on dirt bikes, its like 20 bux for a bunch of it and line the inside, you'll be glad you did

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah I had some on my old GSXR where a corner of the side fairing touched the full Vance and Hines system as it exited. It was silver and kinda thick, and was attached to the inside of the fairing with some kind of adhesive. You could probably find something just as good at a hardware or auto parts store, too.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not a good idea to wrap ti headers in heat shield, or so I'm told... Increases the risk of cracking them. But I could line the bellypan, couldn't I? That ought to help a bit. Nice one...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts