Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few marks on my exhaust. It is melted rubber from my boots. How can I get this off? I tried a lot of different liquids and tried them all (the non-flammable ones) while the exhaust was both hot and cold.

I want to sell my bike soon and I don't want potential buyers to have any leverage on me in the negotiating part.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
You could try fine-grade steel wool with some metal polish.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
I use 0000 steel wool.

·
Registered
62 Posts
What's worked for me is get the exhaust hot, grab a hair dryer or heat gun to further heat the junk, and scrape off with a wooden paint stick. Then polish with a chrome cleaner.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
a couple ounces of ammonia mixed in a pint of water will do a good job on chrome and stainless steel. or go to a liquor store and get some of that 190 proof everclear.
(don't breathe the fumes, on either one.)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a couple ounces of ammonia mixed in a pint of water will do a good job on chrome and stainless steel. or go to a liquor store and get some of that 190 proof everclear.
(don't breathe the fumes, on either one.)
If i could legally go into a liquor store, pouring it on my exhaust would be the last thing to do.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Try oven cleaners. One of the guys at work uses it on the heat shields on his HD when his wife is careless with where she puts her boots. Also, if you want an ammonia and water mix, go get some windex. Most oven cleaners do use ammonia.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts