Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headers have ugly dark discoloration on top of the pipes. I've tried Mother's metal polish and Turtlewax rubbing compound, and while they polish the discoloration to a nice polish, it's still there. Is there anything I can do sort of taking a wire brush to it?

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
I think Blue Away or something similar will take it out. Go to a Harley shop and they'll have something for you.

Fine steel wool and polish/cleaner will take it out too.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Wheel cleaner that is safe for all kinds of wheels from Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts. That's what I use, and so far it works.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Mother's stuff I'm using is a wheel cleaner. I've also tried polish and that didn't work. It almost looks like something go cooked onto the header, because it's a really dark brown and kinda splotchy.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Mine has the same stains , especially by the header.
I have tried blue away and it works great to remove blue spots where the pipe meets the slip but does nothing for the dark oxidized stains by the front header.
I wonder if copper polishing compound would bring back the original shine?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
It's a waste of time. The stainless alloy that the pipes are made of discolor with the heat, nothing you can do about it, unless you just keep on polishing. Consider silver Jet Hot coating.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Want to make it look like high polished chrome?

Get some wet/dry auto grade sandpaper, 1000 grit to take off the discoloration.

Then hit it with some 1500, then 2000. Finish off with Mother's.

It'll take all of 5 minutes to do the whole front header....(which is good because the discoloration will keep coming back.)

·
Registered
653 Posts
jakeway said:
Want to make it look like high polished chrome?

Get some wet/dry auto grade sandpaper, 1000 grit to take off the discoloration.

Then hit it with some 1500, then 2000.  Finish off with Mother's.

It'll take all of 5 minutes to do the whole front header....(which is good because the discoloration will keep coming back.)
you took the words right out of my mouth. I've started with 600 grit and worked towards 1000. They look brand new. After you've sanded out the grime, polish it with mothers metal polish for durability.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts