Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently they put the no text laws into place and I've already heard of a few people I know who got a ticket for it...

I think its brilliant, no one should be allowed to half-ass operating a 3000lb vehicle... IMO it's worse than drunk driving and even tired driving....

I commute on the SV nearly everyday spring through fall and so far this year I have noticed nearly every trip at least one of the cars I follow behind swerving all over their lane... sometimes (today was actually the worst i've seen in a bit) they even end up off the shoulder and in the grass...

[Quick rewind here] I had a boss once who said that in some of the southern states some "red necks" really hate motorcycle riders and would try and run them off the road... in defense the motorcyclists would carry bags of nails, and other things to toss at these guys.

Now that's a bit extreme haha- but I thought of this idea... why not just carry a easy to access pack of "I text while driving. suck it." (or something like that) and whenever I see a obviously distracted driver - at the next stop light/etc slap one on the car :)

Seriously need to get it under control though... Even my freakin' mom texts and drives ...

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
I think starting tossing these idiots in jail will do the trick. Personally if you are on the phone (talking or texting) and cause a wreck that should be considered assault with a deadly weapon. If someone(s) die because of the wreck that should be manslaughter. The penalties should really reflect the dangers they put people in.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
This law is enacted but rarely enforced in Los Angeles (not sure about other cities), and the fines are small so people use the phone/text anyway and don't care. :p

The amount of people who do this on the roads is so great that I'd go broke buying Yellow Cards/other items if I used them on every vehicle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
We just got the laws for texting here, any handheld electronic has been made illegal to use, GPS, cell and even CB's.

Sadly that won't fix anything, a motorcyclist has been killed here by a guy that "didn't see him" and got out of it with something like 300$ of fine because it was deemed an accident.

The problem here is you get more penalty from something that MIGHT get your to cause an accident (DUI, texting), and when you actually do get into an accident, and you have a BAC level of 0 and you weren't on the phone, and you kill / hurt someone, you receive a get-out-of-jail free card, because "it was an accident I didn't see him".

Really makes me boil..

·
Registered
850 Posts
Better solution: Buy a go-pro, attached to helmet. Get plate, and video of person using phone while driving. Send to police.

I doubt they'll turn down the chance to get basically free revenue with indisputable evidence.

Even better, encourage others to do the same. LAws are only followed if enforced, and a police car is a big blue sign that says, "put your phone down!". They can't be everywhere, and when they are around they are less likely to see the poor behavior. But you see it every day. Record it, and let them do the judging.

It might help if you bring them the video in person. If they don't want it, talk to the DA. I'm sure they'd love the court fee's.

·
Registered
425 Posts
There was a fatality in our area day before yesterday because an SUV drifted into the oncoming lane and hit a motorcyclist. No drugs or alcohol suspected. Investigation results pending. Many comments on the news article grieving the deceased and a couple feeling sorry for SUV driver since "accidents" happen. I replied that drifting over the line is no accident. Its called NOT paying attention and doing something other than driving.

Reminds me of the urban myth where the RV driver puts it on "cruise" and goes in the back to make himself a sandwich. I swear, some car drivers are just like that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree, texting while driving is getting out of control everywhere. Now you even see gray-hairs using their gadgets while rolling down the road... terrifying!

There's one thing I would have to disagree with however regarding the OP: most of the ******** I know are motorcycle riders, so maybe your boss was relating something he heard from the 60s, or basing that story on the ending of Easy Rider...

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
That's why I want to get a portable cell jammer. I know they are illegal, but I would LOVE to have a mobile 50' swath of no reception/dropped calls/failed txts in front/behind me everywhere I go.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
as scary as the thought of a texting driver is, my fear is drivers that don't remove the snow & ice off their roof

have you ever had a 7'wide by 14' long slab of ice come crashing on to the pavement just a few feet in front of you when riding

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Better solution: Buy a go-pro, attached to helmet. Get plate, and video of person using phone while driving. Send to police.

I doubt they'll turn down the chance to get basically free revenue with indisputable evidence.

Even better, encourage others to do the same. LAws are only followed if enforced, and a police car is a big blue sign that says, "put your phone down!". They can't be everywhere, and when they are around they are less likely to see the poor behavior. But you see it every day. Record it, and let them do the judging.

It might help if you bring them the video in person. If they don't want it, talk to the DA. I'm sure they'd love the court fee's.

I thought of this idea as well- problem is the cops around here don't seem to give a ****... maybe the DA would but probably take me a lifetime to get him on the phone or to get a meeting.

Id like to know if they ever would except that evidence.

I agree, texting while driving is getting out of control everywhere. Now you even see gray-hairs using their gadgets while rolling down the road... terrifying!

There's one thing I would have to disagree with however regarding the OP: most of the ******** I know are motorcycle riders, so maybe your boss was relating something he heard from the 60s, or basing that story on the ending of Easy Rider...
Freaking boss was a pathological lier... let alone offering me a raise then firing me two weeks later... freaking ******* had a poster from easy rider (ive never watched the movie) in his **** office.

I thought it sounded ridiculous.

BTW @ the earlier post - those magnets are awesome!

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Until someone hits you because they are distracted trying to figure out why they have no signal, and can't call 911....
That was my thought. At least if they are in their routine, they are splitting their attention. When you throw something unexpected at them like that, the attention shift goes towards the cell phone and away from the road. I wish there was a way to display a message so I could yell at idiots to get off their phones while driving!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
as scary as the thought of a texting driver is, my fear is drivers that don't remove the snow & ice off their roof

have you ever had a 7'wide by 14' long slab of ice come crashing on to the pavement just a few feet in front of you when riding
True, but how many really ride when that is a possibility?

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
It isn't any better in a car, trust me.
Also true, I drive almost like I ride, just much slower and try to stay away from anything that poses additional danger.
Like vehicles with open load areas, snow/ice/crap on them, not properly defrosted windows and such.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Also true, I drive almost like I ride, just much slower and try to stay away from anything that poses additional danger.
Like vehicles with open load areas, snow/ice/crap on them, not properly defrosted windows and such.
ya can't always see theres a loose 6" thick slab of ice on top of a bread truck

fwiw, here in NH, thers a law about cleaning snow & ice from your vehicle, passed about 10 years ago after someone was killed by that slab going thru a windshield

·
Hall Monitor
2,739 Posts
Summary roadside execution would make this problem go away.

And believe it or not, one morning last year we were astounded to watch some idiot on a 600 Seca texting while riding in morning commute traffic. He was following a moving van, we were sure he was going to rear end it. Of course, he wasn't wearing gloves, which would make the consequences even worse.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Here is my take on the whole situation. They recently enacted a texting ban here in PA.

(NOTE: I am in no way condoning texting while driving and think it is very dangerous and stupid.)

While texting bans and anti-texting laws are good ideas on paper. There is no real way to enforce them (at least in PA) since you can still use your phone to make calls, GPS, music, and other non-text/email things.

(Example: LEO pull over person for "texting". Driver says "I was using my GPS on my phone" or "I was looking up a phone number". The LEO can not seize the phone without a warranty, so they let the driver go.)

There are already countless laws for distracted driving and wreckless driving. These laws cover not only texting; but also eating, playing with the radio, yelling at your kids, putting on makeup, and just about any other distraction out there.

If lawmakers and police would enforce the laws we already have and make distracted and wreckless driving primary offenses with heavy penalties we will have no need for these "feel good" laws.

That's just my thoughts on the whole situation.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts