Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
One more query. How accurate are you chain adjuster tic-marks on your swingarm?

Please reply with:
1.Bike model and year.
2. Left side measurement from center of swingarm bolt, to first tic-mark on swingarm.
3. Same measurement for right side.

Here are my measurements:
1. Bike1, SV650, 2003 naked.
2. Left Side=20 15/16 in.
3. Right Side=20 15/16in.

1. Bike2, SV650, 2007 naked.
2. Left Side=20 15/16 in.
3. Right Side=21in exactly.

Thanks!
-TeeRiver

·
Super Moderator
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, that's what I've always believed. I'm looking for data to back it up.

Or, maybe modern CNC manufacturing is more accurate these days?

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
I have been told many times not to trust them, by people on the internet. I have been told by my teacher (25 year master Harley tech) that they are pretty accurate. I am not saying either one is wrong, I just think it might change per bike. Not near the bike ATM so I can't get you measurements.

·
Registered
54 Posts
New rider here- Chain adjustment seems best left to a pro? I worry about the rear wobbling at high speeds if I'm a off a fraction of a tic-mark. + no rear stand yet, I assume rear stand necessary to adjust chain?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
New rider here- Chain adjustment seems best left to a pro? I worry about the rear wobbling at high speeds if I'm a off a fraction of a tic-mark. + no rear stand yet, I assume rear stand necessary to adjust chain?
Not at all! You are supposed to do chain maint. on side stand. Also every 500 or so miles check and adjust if necessary. Get yourself a manual and read up. It's regular maint. YOU should know how to do!

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
who looks at tic marks

first turn left side adjuster 1/4 turn, then right side 1/4 turn

repeat until it's in adjustment

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Yup, don't fear the chain, just learn to take care of it. It is really very easy, you just have to do it that first time and you will get the hang of it. Use the tic-marks to get it generally correct, then find a way to measure it that works for you. There are a number of different methods, I like the ones with numbers the best. I measure from the center of the axle to the center of the swing arm pivot usually.

edit: Randyo just had a good point, if you haven't taken the wheel off the bike, you can just do that. If the wheel came off I always measure, even if I didn't mess with the adjusters. Better safe then sorry and all that.

·
Super Moderator
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Lost1888,
I've always heard that the tic marks are not accurate.

I'm looking for actual measurements to back it up.

Perhaps modern bikes are more accurate than they used to be.

Of course once you measure your own bike, and if you're LUCKY and they are accurate, then you can toss the PITA tape measure technique.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Hi Lost1888,
I've always heard that the tic marks are not accurate.

I'm looking for actual measurements to back it up.

Perhaps modern bikes are more accurate than they used to be.

Of course once you measure your own bike, and if you're LUCKY and they are accurate, then you can toss the PITA tape measure technique.

Cheers!
Mine are something like a 1/4 inch off from each other. I have measures my rear wheel to my swing arm upwards of 30-40 times. Just as regular maint. and to get it all put back together after I took the rear wheel off. After the first time looking at the tics and measuring I realized I was getting good advise from the people on here and measure from now on.

Happy! No reason to get mad now. Do what you want! I could give a [email protected]#$;D

·
Super Moderator
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry Lost,
I didn't mean to offend you.
Cheers!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Alright ,who's surfing their sv on a tightrope? You could drive yourself mad looking for reference points to measure,like how do you know your swingarn pivot axis is straight and perpendicular,are you measuring diagonal or do you extend the axis until it's the same width as the rear wheels axle, close enough for earth travel. I doubt very much that the tic marks are a quarter inch off, i don't think the disc would clear the pads. I've lined up with the tic marks by eye , then measured with the digicals and come up .010 off give or take,give the bolt a bit of a nudge for dead perfect,but at that point it doesn't make any difference.If i made a swingarm i'd use eccentrics, that's always looked cool to me,larger spaced tic marks on the eccentric and closer ones on the swingarm sliderule/caliper style..or how about micrometer adjustments off the back of the swingarm.. you could have outlets for a digital readouts on each side:)

·
Super Moderator
8,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Here are the Tic-Marks on the 2007 SV650N.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
You guys and your silly tick marks. Takes me 30 secs to take off my rear wheel. And I dont' even have to worry about chain tensioning.

Nanana!

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
You guys and your silly tick marks. Takes me 30 secs to take off my rear wheel. And I dont' even have to worry about chain tensioning.

Nanana!
You have other problems. :p

·
Registered
381 Posts
on a street bike --I just use the marks

if you race--use a tool to measure exact amount

some bike are right on--other bikes can be off a good bit

1 - 20 of 33 Posts