Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They both seem to be in the lower priced regions for race bodywork. Hotbodies run about 415$ for upper and lower, and cheetah runs for 500$ on ebay but includes fender and tail. Assuming I sell the fender and tail, it might actually make it cheaper than the Hotbodies. I've heard negative stuff about hotbodies, quality of finish, fitment, and so on. Has the newer stuff gotten any better? How is Cheetah for quality and fitment?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hotbodies still kinda sucks...IMO. Go with sharkskinz. Very durable, the fit is superb and the surface comes ready to paint with very little prep..unlike a lot of others that have bubbles and stuff in the gel coat. Pay a little more, be a bit more happy. There is no real need for a fender, just use the stocker. I just bolted up a new set of race sharkskinz the the 650 and the stuff required no alterations. The first set survived 2 seasons and 4 crashes. Also just bolted up a set of sharkskinz street upper and lower to the SV1000. The stuff fit like a glove.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Price is a factor, full set of bodywork for 400$ is more appealing to me. I'm fine with prepping it for painting, and slightly making it to fit, it doesnt need to be perfect. For the price all I've found is hotbodies and cheetah. Money providing I'd have the Skinz, but I dont.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good review NoDak, I'm aware of the bad finish on the Hotbodies, but sanding and whatnot is expected anyways.

True, godfather bodywork is also in my range. I've read reviews of that and they seem decent for what you pay. Basically all I need now is reviews of Cheetah bodywork, as I know nothing about that brand.

·
Registered
336 Posts
i say get gp composites. same quality as sharkskinz with the price of the others. Svraceshop sells them.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
owndjoo said:
i say get gp composites. same quality as sharkskinz with the price of the others. Svraceshop sells them.
gp composites are as much if not MORE than sharkskinz.. quality is great though

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
pony up for the gp composites, then you wont drag a hole in the lower like all the others.  svraceshop!!!!!!!  ;D

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Does your master cylinder sweat a lot? ;D

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Jacob said:
Does your master cylinder sweat a lot? ;D
more than anything, its a convenient place to stick my ear plugs. ;D

·
Registered
64 Posts
True the Hotbodies need some work to prep for paint if you want a showroom finish. I guess that would be important if you were a factory race team or going to use the fairing for street fairings. But, at least for me, neither was the case so at half the cost of Sharkskin...it was a no brainer. It took me maybe an hour total with some bondo and a putty knife (including sanding) to fix the imperfections. Then I just reprimed and with some filler primer and it came out great.

I have also heard people say that one crash will destroy hotbodies. I wasn't concerned about it when I bought it since I could replace the entire set and still break even with the Sharkskins. Since then, Mine have been through two crashes. One highside at around 85 and one hard lowside. Of course, I did have to do some repairs after the highside, but the fairings were not destroyed and did not shatter. The lowside barely did any damage, I didn't have to do any repairs to the fairings, No cracks at all.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
PrettyEye said:
What do you mean "drag a hole", Kris87?
it rubs the pavement at full lean. its too wide and nearly impossible to mount in a way that it either doesnt touch down, or burn a hole from the exhaust pipe.

the gp lower is very narrow. they designed it well.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
hey Kris, is that bigass windscreen the only type that you can use with gp composites? that thing is just retardedly big...  :-X

·
Registered
447 Posts
I used Hotbodies on my son's racebike last year. I had no problems with mounting and frankly I don't know what the issue is with paint prep. It is a race bike. It will get scuffed, bent and broken. Our bodywork survived 4 crashes and three track collisions. Each one only required minor fiberglass repair with the exception of the last crash that happened at about 80mph. I could still repair that but why bother. For under 200 bucks I bought a new upper and I'm good to go. I think for race bodywork this stuff is fine. If your into bling then go with Sharkskinz.

·
Registered
8 Posts
wonderjosh said:
gp composites are as much if not MORE than sharkskinz.. quality is great though
Im not sure where you got this info from.i went to the sharkskinz site and added up the price and it was retail $897.00 for a full set for the 03-05 sv 650. GP Composites is retail of $760.00 for a full set. Sharkskinz price can be seen here
http://www.sharkskinz.com/suzukisv650s2003.htm
Mike

·
Registered
8 Posts
wonderjosh said:
hey Kris, is that bigass windscreen the only type that you can use with gp composites? that thing is just retardedly big...  :-X
GP Composites 03-05 sv 650 kit is based of off the 03-04 gsxr 1000.So the big ass,retardedly big windscreen is the same one that comes stock on the 03-04 gsxr 1000.
mike

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
hcr25 said:
Im not sure where you got this info from.i went to the sharkskinz site and added up the price and it was retail $897.00 for a full set for the 03-05 sv 650. GP Composites is retail of $760.00 for a full set. Sharkskinz price can be seen here
http://www.sharkskinz.com/suzukisv650s2003.htm
Mike
hmm, yeah i must have been looking at the wrong info ... oops :-[

·
Registered
606 Posts
hcr25 said:
GP Composites 03-05 sv 650 kit is based of off the 03-04 gsxr 1000.So the big ass,retardedly big windscreen is the same one that comes stock on the 03-04 gsxr 1000.
mike
Mike you can use any 03-04 GSXR 1000 windscreen and I talked to ZeroGravity about making them taller or shorter, no problem at all, hmmmm

The Cheetah we've seen has all been cheap crap. Unless something has changed it is not very good.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts