Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to install the hotbodies undertail kit?
I just got it
I thought i could just pop the factory riviots out and the old one would fall out?
Any advice will help!

Mark

G

·
The stock one will not fall out since it is not only bolted on but is also the battery tray. All i did was take the pop rivets out. Drill holes for the wires to run threw the stock piece and then put the Hotbodies one over the stock piece. Then just push the rivets in threw both undertails.

·
Registered
167 Posts
jaycee said:
All i did was take the pop rivets out. Drill holes for the wires to run threw the stock piece and then put the Hotbodies one over the stock piece. Then just push the rivets in threw both undertails.
You must have had to cut one of them.?

·
Registered
167 Posts
jaycee said:
All i did was take the pop rivets out. Drill holes for the wires to run threw the stock piece and then put the Hotbodies one over the stock piece.
cyclerider105 said:
+1 for Jaycee. I did the same thing. You don't need to "cut" anything!

...but how did you get the stock fender off by just taking out the pop rivets?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Avids site doesn't seem to be up currently otherwise I'd direct you to it. 

Matter at hand, keep in mind I'm going by memory here (no bike currently).  Now if I remember correctly aren't there like some that need to be removed?  You'll need to remove the front (driver) seat to get to the front bolts (2), remove the bracket that actuates the release mechansim for the rear (passenger) seat (2 or 3 bolts), I believe the grab bar has to come off (2 bolts) and you can wiggle the rear section straight back and off if you have all the rivets out.  Then I think there's  something like 4 bolts holding that snow-shovel on out back there.

Hopefully this helps, but yeah, unless someone knows some trick I don't there's at least those bolts to remove that honking thing.

'Hound

BTW, hopefully I read this right and you still have the factory fender on their and are trying to get it off.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I'm working from memory as well, but I think Bloodhound is correct. You have to undo some bolts, but ultimately the plastic rivits are what hold the fender to the plastic under tray. When I did my Hotbodies undertail it seems to go pretty easy!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Bloodhound said:
You'll need to remove the front (driver) seat to get to the front bolts (2), remove the bracket that actuates the release mechansim for the rear (passenger) seat (2 or 3 bolts), I believe the grab bar has to come off (2 bolts) and you can wiggle the rear section straight back and off if you have all the rivets out.  Then I think there's  something like 4 bolts holding that snow-shovel on out back there.
+1 The whole tail (plastics) need to come off so you can get to the 4 bolts that hold the shovel on. Once that piece is off everything else is gravy. The Hotbodies Undertail looks sweet. IndySuperbikes $179.

·
Registered
26 Posts
cyclerider105 said:
+1 for Jaycee. I did the same thing. You don't need to "cut" anything! LOVE the Hotbodies undertail!!!
Mine is exactly like this, do you ever get pulled over for the license plate being too far down.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i got pulled for it once.. but they let me off and just told me to move it up higher.. i rode around with it like that for well over a year.. ;)

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Haha, that's funny. I thought my plate was low...yours might as well be backwards.

Installing the Hotbodies undertail is made even more a pain in the ass by the horrible instrucitons that come with it. Step number 1 = "remove stock mudflap and fender". Then step two gets into putting the new one in.

It's like, well thanks for nothing, Hotbodies because removing the stock part is a 20-step process. It's like a virgin wanting to know how to have sex, and you write him "step one, have sex". Their instructions need to be FAR more detailed, right down to what bolts should come off in what order.

I already wrote them to B**** them out, and all you guys should too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is there anyway to mount the license plate so you don't have the cops harassing you? That is the only thing my wife doesn't like about this undertail. (its for her bike) Does the undertail seal tight, some of the other FE's I have seen on the board here, the people complain that the do not fit tight. Thanks

·
Registered
165 Posts
Here's a safety question, how bright are the turn signals? Also do you need something to keep the turns from flashing fast or does the kit come with it?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts