Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it is really important that I am able to ride this weekend. More important than any other day of the year.

I lost my key. I had it loose in my pocket yesterday. Now it's gone. I am still frantically looking around the yard / apartment for it.

In the mean time, how easy is it to get the wheel unlocked and the key bypassed on a first gen?

Thanks in advance (God I hope I find my key before tomorrow morning)

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
found it! ****! that was close. BTW, how easy is it to hotwire a SV? My main problem there was the key word 'frantically' looking for the key.

I forgot I went for a grocery run in a pair of pajama pants last night..

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
I was about to say, if it's that important, call a locksmith. And as long as you have him there, have him make you a spare key.

But since you found it.......go and get that key copied, before you lose it again.

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
this dosnt directly answer your question, but a solution would be to get a copy of the key made, its always nice to have a spare.

so where you riding this weekend?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
In the mean time, how easy is it to get the wheel unlocked and the key bypassed on a first gen?
The only way I know to get the steering lock unlocked w/out the key is to break it. With enough pressure it should break. Disclaimer: I saw this on a youtube video of how easy it is to steal a bike. They guy got on he bike then put his foot on the inside bar and pushed till it broke. Hot wiring a bike...no idea. Out of all the threads and repeat threads on SVR that is one I have never seen.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
all you would have to do is get a big screw driver, hammer it through the ignition, and turn the bike on. There's no chipped key in these budget bikes.

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
It's a little harder to hot wire the SV than on older bikes. You used to be able to just jumper two wires at the ignition switch. On the SV you also have to jump a 100ohm resistor from power to the ECU module. Not too hard to do but probably stops the casual thief.

I keep a spare key zip-tied in a hidden spot on my bike just in case.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so where you riding this weekend?
My girlfriend of 5 years bought a ninja 500 last weekend. She finished her MSF the weekend before. She is dying to ride it and get some experience on the road but isn't comfortable riding by herself (I follow which seems to take a lot of pressure off of her). I think traffic following her is her main problem..

I work 40 hours Mon-Thursday. So she is dying to ride the bike all weekend.

She would have murdered me if I lost my key and ruined her weekend.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BTW, my spare key to my bike and disk lock are 3 hours away. My dad kept them when I stored them in his garage Dec-Feb.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It's a little harder to hot wire the SV than on older bikes. You used to be able to just jumper two wires at the ignition switch. On the SV you also have to jump a 100ohm resistor from power to the ECU module. Not too hard to do but probably stops the casual thief.

I keep a spare key zip-tied in a hidden spot on my bike just in case.
Maybe want to take out the fact that you live in hawthorne?

·
Banned
373 Posts
hot wire, why, just break the steering lock and use a screw driver

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
BTW, my spare key to my bike and disk lock are 3 hours away. My dad kept them when I stored them in his garage Dec-Feb.
Yes, but if you take the key, that you recently found again, and have it copied, then you have a spare that is on hand. And another spare that is three hours away.

Go get that key copied before you lose it again.

·
Premium Member
2,654 Posts
My girlfriend of 5 years bought a ninja 500 last weekend. She finished her MSF the weekend before. She is dying to ride it and get some experience on the road but isn't comfortable riding by herself (I follow which seems to take a lot of pressure off of her). I think traffic following her is her main problem..

I work 40 hours Mon-Thursday. So she is dying to ride the bike all weekend.

She would have murdered me if I lost my key and ruined her weekend.
thats awsome that she wants to learn to ride. Msf is definatly a good way to start. its nice that she wants to pace herself on learning as well :thumbsup: you will have to post pictures of the ride.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She's put about 100 miles on her bike as of yesterday. She hit 55 once. She is definitely taking it slow. I will post some pics as soon as we ride somewhere interesting..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts