Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to install a HB undertail for my '05 SV650. They make no provision for a licence plate light. I seem to remember reading about a small light, maybe a LED, being used..Any suggestions ?
Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
I don't even worry about a light for the plate. The brake lights illuminate it enough, IMO.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i was wondering how that was going to go i just put a holeshot fender elm on mine and there is no tag light anymore. the tail light lights it up but its not very bright. I guess after the first ticket ill do something

anyone had any problems yet

·
Registered
92 Posts
i drilled a hole directly above where my plate hung from the undertail.   i removed the stock plate light cover and mounted the bulb over the whole.  i sealed the hole/light gap (what little there was of it) with some of that bathroom tile grout-in-a-tube and painted half the bulb black (the side that would face traffic...)  it's really bright and looks as good as any led.   it is a lot more work than just getting the bolt light though.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I put the hotbodies tail on my bike last night, and knew it had no light. If you go to any Cycle Gear or similar store they sell small LED's that are built into bolts for mounting the plate to the brackets. I had to drill out a bigger hole in the brackets and the plate, mounted the bulb/bolts, and then drilled a small feeder hole on each side under where the bracket covers, and fed the wires up and connected them to the existeing light's wires. It was easy and looks sharp because you can angle the lights how you want. I'll put up picks when i get them of my freinds camera.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
sid.v said:
i was wondering how that was going to go i just put a holeshot fender elm on mine and there is no tag light anymore. the tail light lights it up but its not very bright. I guess after the first ticket ill do something

anyone had any problems yet
+1

cops cant even tell if you have a tag light on it or not...they usually leave their lights on when they pull you over anyway and its all lit up so i think u'll be alright

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Mojave, be smart about where you put the plate. I have exact year and I put it where the hot bodies under tail ends and the black plastic begins. There should be a small like 1.5 by 1.5 space you can drill up though where it doesn?t go into battery box and it doesn?t hit any thing else (just be sure to goop it up). And just be sure to bend brackets flat enough so your tire does not have a chance to hit your plate. I?ve been riding like this with no plate lights for about 1 k miles and no stops.

And ive done extensive research on the best looking and functional plate lights and I found these. http://www.pros-pick.com/licenseplatelights.html I have yet to order them because I haven?t been stopped and I don?t want to drill any more holes in that area.

If you don?t get those, be careful about leds as they don?t shine on plate unless the end is pointed AT the plate?.Good luck with the kit.

·
Registered
155 Posts
ratmloud said:
doesnt the hotbodies mount the plate way up in front of the tire?
That is what i am concerned about. In PA, the cops can be real anal. ALso, are the LED turn signals street legal?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts