Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hate to say it, but I had to rock the shorts and T-shirt look yesterday. It was a scorcher, and hot all over.

I still looked good though, cause I buy nice things. I find when I'm riding down the road in a t-shirt the wind catches it and it tends to ride up, showcasing my well defined abdominals and biceps. I have to admit, I did get some looks.

Anyways, I really was on the wrong bike. All I needed was a nice SS 600 or liter bike to complete the look, transformation, whatever. As you know, I'm still in the market for my liter bike.

Gix1K or Yam R1

help me. I just cant make up my mind.

B

·
0 Posts
The other day while my bike was getting its first service i took it upon myself to try on some liter bikes for the future, and although i didn't get to sit on the r1, i hated the gixxer. The fairings were way uncomfortable when I had both feet on the floor, jabbing me right in the calves/sides of shins which shouldn't be a big deal, but most of my riding is around town or not totally devoid of the occasional controlled instersection so that killed it for me. The cbr1000rr and zx-10r i sat on both felt awesome especially the zx-10r which was indeed "like a glove." One day I'll make it over to a yamaha place to sit on their offerings...someday...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yep, just 'cause they're lookin' doesn't mean they're likin' what they see...
I wear a fanny pack and that keeps my t-shirt where it belongs, and gives me a stash as well.

In the desert where I live it's been running 115-117 and I finally broke down and bought an inexpensive evaporative cooling vest. Worn under a mesh jacket it's plenty cool for me at any decent speed. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Kissing the pavement without any gear on is a hard way to learn...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Randy S said:
Yep, just 'cause they're lookin' doesn't mean they're likin' what they see...
I wear a fanny pack and that keeps my t-shirt where it belongs, and gives me a stash as well.

In the desert where I live it's been running 115-117 and I finally broke down and bought an inexpensive evaporative cooling vest. Worn under a mesh jacket it's plenty cool for me at any decent speed. There's more than one way to skin a cat. Kissing the pavement without any gear on is a hard way to learn...
whered you get the cooling vest n' how much was it, if you dont mind me asking? i could use one of those.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
A local (FAST!!!) guy has an '04 R1 in blue with a host of goodies on it, including a full titanium akropovic exhaust. I've never heard such a smooth sounding four cylinder...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Soaking Wet T-shirt + Mesh Jacket = Built-in A/C (until the shirt dries up). Amazing how cold it can get with that setup. Yeah it's hot, but always at least a Jacket, gloves, boots and helmet for me... 'cuz I'm a Safety Nazi :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Good looking out on the Mira vest! Marsee sells a very similar vest but for $100!! :shock:

Ive found underarmour shirts worn underneath mesh jackets to help out with the sweat. Still going to be hot, but at least not as sticky. Also, I bought some mesh overpants to wear over shorts in teh summer. Breathes much more air than jeans, plus I can take them off when I get where Im going and just wear the shorts and t-shirt!

But I admit that it is always a temptation to just wear shorts and a t-shirt for a "quick" short ride down the block. Hopefully I wont succumb.

·
Registered
830 Posts
In the heat i usually wear no shirt and a pair of shorts. I do wheelies to get the wind flowing up my shorts for that "my god it's kinda cold out here" feeling.

I do wear helmet and gloves though. :wink:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well...I just got off the road from Boston to DC, and it was really nice this morning. Then around noon someone turned the heat up. It wasn't terrible at speed, but at every fuel break I would drink an entire bottle of gatorade to help stay hydrated. I was wearing a perf leather jacket, jeans boots, brain bucket and gloves. I hear the heat index was up around 105.

Why oh why did I decide to move to the South (and yes, for a Masshole anything south of CT is the south)

flava

·
Registered
836 Posts
I rode the R1 and it was super smooth and ungodly fast. I think it's one of the most beautiful SS bikes period.

That being said, it's turns-in slower than the SV, but feels better once it's there.

I can't speak for the Gix other than to say I'm sure it's one absolute solid piece of machinery.

·
Registered
63 Posts
EH.. you guys are braver than I.. if it's that hot i just sit on the couch..

did go to a track day monday though... unbelievable hot.. 100+ I believe the heat index was 110-112 or something.

track temp was 128 at 1pm.

somebody said they felt like they were baking from the inside out in their leathers... I likened it more to being deep fried because the sweat in the suit just started sizzlin' after about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^^its an amazing bike isnt it? thats the only liter bike i've had some good seat time on. I know I'll get flamed for this but whacking that throttle on and off gives me quite a rush, and its so rock solid, it makes you want to cry. If anything is behind you when whack it, it gets gone in a hurry. Its like I have access to the time/space continuum and I'm hurtling thru time and space. I had to check my watch the last time I jumped out of the saddle.

anyways...

I'm actually leaning toward the R1, but this Suzuki is kind of calling me too. I dont consider myself loyal to any one brand, but my SV has done alright by me so why not stick with them?

·
Registered
127 Posts
ive got to go with the R1, it is simply the best lookin I4 out there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
itsalex said:
05 gixxer1k...that thing is one mean machine...

- alex

+1

The 05 GSXR-1K is pulling Hayabusas, so you know it's fast as f#@k :!:
I'd go with the Suzi if it fits ya the best.

Luck to ya on your purchase.

K

·
0 Posts
I ride in cargo shorts and a T shirt almost every single day, its just so damn hot and humid that to me it is worth the risk. My buddy chad just ate shit 3 days ago on the highway (he was on a repsol 1000rr) and hes got EASILY 75% road rash on his body. Board shorts, muscle shirt, and flipflops, he looped it on the highway doing about 70. When I called to the ER to talk to my buddy that was there with him I could hear Chad shrieking in the background, pretty gruesome shit. He is a buff guy and his pecks are completely gone, they all got worn down on the road, worst carnage I have ever seen.

But I still ride in shorts and a T shirt, to me its worth the risk.

PD: Chad said that he is never going to get anywhere near a bike for the rest of his life.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Kaxter said:
I ride in cargo shorts and a T shirt almost every single day, its just so damn hot and humid that to me it is worth the risk. My buddy chad just ate s**t 3 days ago on the highway (he was on a repsol 1000rr) and hes got EASILY 75% road rash on his body. Board shorts, muscle shirt, and flipflops, he looped it on the highway doing about 70. When I called to the ER to talk to my buddy that was there with him I could hear Chad shrieking in the background, pretty gruesome s**t. He is a buff guy and his pecks are completely gone, they all got worn down on the road, worst carnage I have ever seen.

But I still ride in shorts and a T shirt, to me its worth the risk.

PD: Chad said that he is never going to get anywhere near a bike for the rest of his life.
Damn....did it almost wear to the bone? He must have superman-ed down the interstate for a good ways.

Good grief people...if you're going to pull high speed wheelies....wear something. To me that's the same as riding fast twisties with no gear...they're both states of elevated risk.

K

·
0 Posts
His skin on his chest is GONE, there is nothing left. My buddy told me that he slid chest down the whole way till he stopped sliding. His knees are also really bad, all the way to the bone. He was wearing a helmet though, which saved his life for sure. He spun in circles down the highway.

I feel partially responsible because I was the one that taught him how to do standups. Last week he was begging me to teach him so we went out and by the end of the day he was doing them for about half a block. I told him to take it easy and wear a leather jacket while he was still learning but he didnt listen to me. The bike is totalled by the way, its one big chunk of metal.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts