Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not exactly a race question but i figure this is the place to ask.

What kind of H.P. gain could i get from a 2005 sv650 if i put a 1k snorkel,k&n air filter,full m4 exhaust,pcIII and get a custom dyno map done?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Maybe 5 to 10 over stock.

But mind you...

1ksnorkel - $35.00
K&N        - $45.00
M4 full pipe$600.00
PCIII         $250.00
Cust. Map  $100.00

These are all really low ball numbers too.. is 10hp worth $1000 ?

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
donniej said:
I know a guy who has all those mods plus the cam swap and a custom air box...
He's running ~85HP.
Toooooooonyyyyy. I wanna ride his bike, then ride mine, to feel the difference of ~15hp.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
sv1000 snorkel, kn filter are wastes of money

you really dont even need the pcIII honestly

buy an m4 or leo vince full system and have it mapped with a teka box at a performance shop

you wanna go faster? spend your money on an aftermarket rear shock and reworked forks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm already planing suspension mods. frt.&rear.
And as for if it,s worth $1000-1200 for 10 H.P. to me it is because i plan on keeping my bike for a long time.
I,m hooked on the middle weight v-twin nekids and i really like th looks of my sv ;D
thanks for the answers.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
this is definitely the best place to ask for REAL hp #'s. i laugh at some of the claims these guys get with the mods they've done. but i know every dyno is different, but i can say that my bike's #'s came off the mobile dynojet truck they use at the AMA races, so take that for what its worth.

you'll never see 85hp like mentioned above without serious motor work. especially on pump gas. just wont happen. you wont see much above 75 hp with any amount of mods, unless you got some motor work and good race gas. i saw plenty of SV's at the cup that had minor motor mods, full systems, and VP MR1 and MR9 race gas make 73-76 hp. my bike has normal ss motor mods: milled head, raised compression, degreed cam timing, thinner head gasket, custom teka map, M4 ti system, and VP MR1 and it made 78 hp. thats about right. last year my motor was a little hotter and it made 81.

so dont believe everything you read on here.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Kris87 said:
this is definitely the best place to ask for REAL hp #'s.  i laugh at some of the claims these guys get with the mods they've done.  but i know every dyno is different, but i can say that my bike's #'s came off the mobile dynojet truck they use at the AMA races, so take that for what its worth. 

you'll never see 85hp like mentioned above without serious motor work.  especially on pump gas.   just wont happen.  you wont see much above 75 hp with any amount of mods, unless you got some motor work and good race gas.  i saw plenty of SV's at the cup that had minor motor mods, full systems, and VP MR1 and MR9 race gas make 73-76 hp.  my bike has normal ss motor mods: milled head, raised compression, degreed cam timing, thinner head gasket, custom teka map, M4 ti system, and VP MR1 and it made 78 hp.   thats about right.  last year my motor was a little hotter and it made 81. 

·
Registered
505 Posts
Kris87 said:
this is definitely the best place to ask for REAL hp #'s.  i laugh at some of the claims these guys get with the mods they've done.  but i know every dyno is different, but i can say that my bike's #'s came off the mobile dynojet truck they use at the AMA races, so take that for what its worth. 

you'll never see 85hp like mentioned above without serious motor work.  especially on pump gas.   just wont happen.  you wont see much above 75 hp with any amount of mods, unless you got some motor work and good race gas.  i saw plenty of SV's at the cup that had minor motor mods, full systems, and VP MR1 and MR9 race gas make 73-76 hp.  my bike has normal ss motor mods: milled head, raised compression, degreed cam timing, thinner head gasket, custom teka map, M4 ti system, and VP MR1 and it made 78 hp.   thats about right.  last year my motor was a little hotter and it made 81. 

Very true Kris, we had to spend THOUSANDS to get 85+ horsepower! :-\

·
Registered
606 Posts
Jarel - Except for TWF because Zoran gets 85 HP without ever opening up a motor. Just because no one else ever has is not important, it must be true since it came from the "burning bush" (some a$$ clown on one of the lists refers to him as that, freakin' waterheads) . Your engine makes 100+ if I make a couple minor correction(factor)s with the dyno. I can make the chart read that your engone has 100 hp. It's not accurate or true but it says so on a graph so it must be...

The reality is anyone will have to spend a lot to get 85 hp or more. If you don't do the lower end properly it will be a ticking time bomb waiting to explode. Anyone getting a true uncorrected 75 or more without going inside the motor has a strong one! We've seen piped and jetted or PC3/teka & piped SV's making 68 to 72. That seems to be normal. People boast of big numbers, the reality is they spent a lot to get them or they don't actually have them.

Don't believe everything you read. Sort through the BS. You get what you get for the money you spend. Keep your expectations realistic and you will be happy.

·
Registered
480 Posts
i was under the impression that, at least on a 1st gen, with full system, proper jetting, desnorkeled filter, cams, milled heads, thinner head gasket, valve job, flatslides and race gas you could get to 85 or so. i guess i was wrong. what kind of numbers would you expect from this setup?

·
Registered
606 Posts
You are inside the motor now! Yes 80~85 is a good target. Tuning and valve timing are important to making the number

·
Registered
480 Posts
DucOwner said:
You are inside the motor now!  Yes 80~85 is a good target. Tuning and valve timing are important to making the number
i suppose so. i guess i didn't consider pulling the valve covers and swapping cams real motor work.  i was thinking more in terms of overbore kits.  good stuff.  when i finally bite the bullet and get a gsxr front end and kick myself out SS i'll do all the stuff i can't do now (or at least don't need to do).

·
Registered
74 Posts
DucOwner,

That is the first time I have been called an a$$ clown. Have you no sense of humor? This waterhead just bought a Penske shock from you, and was about to get that slipper clutch, too. Thanks for the kind thoughts, and saving me some dough on that clutch.

Charlie Daniell
Brunswick, GA

·
Registered
336 Posts
with my scorpion slip on, pcIII, desnorkel,tank spacers, and 87 octane i pulled 72hp. have the video here somewhere if anyone wants to host it.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Funny, I've never heard Zoran bragging about hp gains. He doesn't brag much at all in my experience. Its ususally the other people around him that do that. Not his fault as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry, DucOwner but you just sound jealous to me. Not a very becoming attitude toward someone who's never been anything but extremely helpful to me.

In any case, I hope a lot of people read this thread because you guys have one thing absolutely right, there is a lot of exaggeration and bullshit on this board. Butt dyno's and braggadocio are useless!

My SV right now is about 73-74 hp with a full M4 system and an ignition advance. Surprisingly it made nearly what Suzuki claims stock... 72hp Now that's not much of a gain for a $670 exhaust, but I haven't remapped or done any airbox stuff yet. The guy that was dyno-ing my bike said I really should do that soon, but hey I only paid $30 for each run... I was just curious. ;)

I think it'd be cool to see 80hp someday, but honestly I think it would shorten the life of my motor, and since I'm not racing... is there any point to all that... for trackdays? I'm not sure. I think if I could up it another 2-3hp with the airbox mods and remap I'd be satisfied. If that's even doable.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hmm--very interesting conversation for a bloke looking for HP and torque. I spoke at length to the guys at JHS racing in the UK. I was promiced a reliable 85hp from my curvy SV.
Given that the motor started out fresh. and has fitted to it the Jhs stage 2 cams,M4 exhaust,jet kit,and advance key. Those guys use the dynojet dyno to measure the HP gains.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts