Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Horrible fuel mileage *updated with jet sizes*

So my SV gets probably the worst mileage of anyone on the board. It is consistently about 30-35 mpg. Fuel light comes on at ~100 and tank is empty at ~130. I have sync'd the carbs and have fresh plugs in and the bike runs like a champ. During the week I see mostly highway riding at 6k RPM. I have a BMC filter and a D&D slip on. I dont know what the jetting, needle, shims, or screws are at that that is what I plan to figure out. I am going through the recommended jetting thread too see what other people are running with a similar setup. Any pointers on what to look for or what might be the most likely culprit for my abysmal MPG? I wouldn't consider myself to be excessively heavy on the throttle during acceleration.

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
I dont know what the jetting, needle, shims, or screws are at that that is what I plan to figure out.
Sounds like you're on the right track. Are you the original owner or did the PO muck with it?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
You've got part of the answer already: slip on and K&N filter. Most people who made those changes and rejetted report 10% to 15% lower mileage. Even so your mileage is too low for something not to be wrong. 40 to 45 MPG would be more in line with others' experience.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exactly, Im not expecting this thing to be amazing but Im just tired of having a 120 mile range. I didnt buy the bike to save money on gas

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have a new exhaust and a k&n too and i get the same mileage you do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
something's definitely up. My bike is pretty much all stock and I haven't messed with anything I get about 220 per tank.

·
Premium Member
1,445 Posts
I can't remember exactly right now, but isn't 6K rpm in top gear over 75, almost 80 mph? That might be part of the reason. I've got a slipon, jetted, and still get high 40s-low 50s for typical 2 lane riding, but up close to 80 mph it drops off quite a bit. Nowhere near that low but maybe 4-5 mpg.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Ouch 30-35 mpg would suck, you might try a road trip (long enough to use up a tank of fuel) riding some rural roads @ 55-60 mph to see for sure if it's the speed that's the problem.
Tony

·
Registered
67 Posts
yeah, for me, 6k in 6th is 80mph

I get about the same on my '03. Yeah, mileage sucks, but I don't ride slow enough to get good mileage.

6k-8k rpm on highways, no fairing, and being 6'4" and 250lbs plays against me.

I swapped out the air filter, but I prefer stock exhaust since it is quieter.

The 3hp gain of loud pipes isn't worth the noise, poser factor and the amount they **** off our 4-wheeled brethren. (Hell, I wear ear plugs to quiet down the wind noise as well)

Even at 30-35mpg, I still save nearly 30minutes and get 10mpg more over driving a car to work.

If you want to get good mileage ride slow.

Time is worth money. You can either save time or save money.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Seems like most people on here are doing both when I hear what they are getting MPG-wise with their bikes. And like I said, its not the money that bothers me, its the range.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Naked + 80mph = lots of wind resistance = bad mpg. Have you ever seen better with this type of riding?
I rode 260mi from Dallas to Houston at mostly above 80mph (5.8krpm) and got about 160 (when the light came on) on full tank. Naked.

On the way back the light came on at 131mi but it was due to slightly faster average speed and violent wind directly in the opposite direction of traveling. For me 6K is about 85mph.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Ok, I pulled the carbs apart and I think I may have found my culprit. I am running a 162.5 main the in front carb and a 160 main in the rear. Both have 17.5 pilots. From everything I have read it seems like this is way too much on the mains. My range should probably be 145-152.5 on the mains for my slip on and BMC filter here at sea level. It looks like a also have the dynojet needle in there with the adjustable clips. Anyone know which position I might want to try? Right now its on the 4th from the top (blunt end)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would think your jet size would kill the milage 160's are pretty big. i have a yoshi slip on, k&n filter, and am running 17.5's, and 140 mains, up from 15's and 138's. and she is happy, runs great plugs have a nice tan. but im also getting 100-120 till fuel light, about 33-38 mpg. i am somewhat aggressive on on accel. and 80-85 on hwy. but does being conservative really make that much of a difference?

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Well, I got a set of 152.5 mains in, moved the clip on my needles to the middle position, and got my fuels screws set at 2 1/2 turns. Got a full tank of gas today and we shall see how the bike feels and does at the pump.

·
Premium Member
5,615 Posts
Well, I got a set of 152.5 mains in, moved the clip on my needles to the middle position, and got my fuels screws set at 2 1/2 turns. Got a full tank of gas today and we shall see how the bike feels and does at the pump.
I'm watching with anticipation - my mileage is like yours, but I do a lot of city riding too: Toronto traffic = 90 miles to a lit fuel light. On the highway it's not much more than 120-130 miles before the light comes on, and that's generally at 60-75 mph.

I've had my carbs apart 3-4 times for cleaning but was too stupid to check jet size. :p

·
Registered
303 Posts
I'm pretty sure that clip is supposed to be in the middle. I think if you move it closer to the end (blunt short end) then it is more lean and if you adjust it closer to the pointy end it is more rich. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thats what I did when I put them back in. Ive only put about 40 miles on it since then but I think I might put a few more on it tomorrow in the canyons. My initial impressions though are that the bike has a little less get up and go than it did before. Waiting to see how the mileage goes but after this tank I might try changing the clip on the needle back to the 4th position that it was at previously. See if that helps get some more power at the lower RPMs

1 - 20 of 25 Posts