Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently bought a Teknic Chicane leather jacket (which i love btw). The only complaint i had about it is the fact that all the armor is foam and completely bendable. I don't know about you, but if i'm going down, I'd fee better landing on harder armor. Then just last night, I realized hey i have my old jacket (Fieldsheer X-Pack) thats all ripped up from my previous meeting with the pavement. I never noticed that the armor in that jacket was removeable, I was ready to cut the armor out...But all the armor were removeable, so I replaced all the armor in my new Teknic Jacket with the injection molded hardened plastic. The only piece that I haven't been able to replace is the back plate because the hole for it is just to small, and this back armor DOESN"T bend...which shuld be the case in the first place. Now, my gf is gonna be sewing a new cover to the back so I can throw in this harder piece of armor. The fitting is a lil off...but it's basically where all the armor needs to be. Finally found a good way to recycle my old jacket ;D I feel MUCH safer too...

Next project my gf is gonna do for me is to remove the knee armor from my ICON leg armor and sewing it into a pair of my jeans. I don't like wearing the whole assembly with the shin guards...so now, instead of buying actual riding pants, I get to use my regular jeans ;D I love being ghetto about everything, saves me so much money ;)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats the foam armor that I don't trust :-D and I don't feel like spending any more money on gear...so i'm gonna go ghetto with my jeans :-D

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Again, not the best, but a good sight better than some of the pillow-soft foam I've pulled out of a few jackets...

If I find a reasonably priced source for universal, removable armor that meets current Euro standards (CE?), I'll post up (after I buy myself a couple sets, of course!).

·
Registered
744 Posts
So...you don't trust foam armor, yet you're going to wear jeans to ride?

·
Hall Monitor
2,762 Posts
shekshishekki said:
...I don't feel like spending any more money on gear...so i'm gonna go ghetto with my jeans :-D
I'm all for saving money and being creative, but you're overlooking something- even the heaviest denim lasts only about 4 feet of sliding on asphalt- then you start grinding into flesh.

A good set of overpants with knee, shin and hip armor, along with a double-thick layer of abrasion-resistant stuff like Kevlar on the seat and knee/shin areas (the most likely areas for contact/sliding) can be had for $120-160. Skin grafts cost a lot more.

http://www.newenough.com/firstgear_ht_overpants_page.htm

http://www.newenough.com/joe_rocket_alter_ego_pants_page.htm

http://www.newenough.com/tour_master_overpant_pants_page.htm

Bill

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
zoltan said:
So...you don't trust foam armor, yet you're going to wear jeans to ride?
well most ppl would consider pants as the last piece of gear to get...i like wearing regular jeans, and for the time being, I can't really afford real riding pants...thats all :-D I 'll get some riding pants when i get some funds.

G

·
I commute to work in dockers but still wear my armored jacket and gloves.  I do use icon knee armor though.  Although there is 0 rash protection from the pants, I still have some decorum of protection for my actual knees and shins.  They are pretty comfy and invisible for the most part,  I often take them off after a morning meeting if I'm running late(i.e. every morning)  :p Some of the reinforced jeans from Icon are not bad either for moderate street protection at least and look decent as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts