Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding my dad's Wide Glyde, and I've always wanted to add a relay in case I ever added accesories, I realized I wanted to have a commuter grade horn on my bike.

Separate relays for horn, and accessories, correct? In order to maintain the usuage of the stock horn button.

But thinking about it, I also want to retain the stock horn, in order to use in those situations where the power of a commuter grade horn wouldn't be needed.

So I'm thinking of getting a toggle switch, and wiring it into the horns relay.

But I'm not sure what kind of toggle switch I want. I'm positive I can't use a regular toggle switch, and I need a double pole. I'm thinking an ON/OFF would work. ON would be the commuter grade, and OFF would be the stock horn. Does that sound like it would work, or should I go with a ON/OFF/ON? Going with an ON/OFF/ON could possibly put me in the position of having the horn off when I need it, so I think a ON/OFF switch would be best.

I'd mount the switch on the inside of the fairings, that little panel behind the lights or something.

I also almost want to add one of those safety switch covers (ex: Fighter Jets).

Am I on the right path?

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
You can replace the stock horn with a Fiamm Freeway Blaster (low tone) for $15. It bolts right up, no harness necessary or any changes to anything. It is 132dB and can turn blue-haired old ladies into white-haired old ladies. Toss the stock horn.

You're getting complex here. If you're looking to relocate the horn button, are you planning on using that "commuter grade horn" in emergencies? Will you have to move your hand off of the controls to press the button--much less remove a fancy safety cover--in a dangerous situation? You want a horn button very accessible for using immediately.

If you want a double horn (like a high tone, or an air horn) then you need to look into a wiring harness.

·
Premium Member
4,058 Posts
2 horns using the factory horn button is very easy to do with a SPDT relay you just have to wire a SPDT relay the right way.
wire the original horn power wire to 30.
run 87a to the stock horn.
87 to the aftermarket horn.
86 to the battery with a fuse.
85 to the swith with the other side of the switch grounded.

my paint skillz are weak but it should look like this

basically if the switch you add is off your stock horn will work as normal, with the seperate switch on your "commuter" horn will work.

I agree with frick though I upgraded to a 135db horn from autozone for about $15 and it is plenty loud when you lay on it but a short tap still gets someones attention without scaring them.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, my plan was to keep the commuter grade on all the time, and in those situations, so someone isn't paying attention at a light, switch the stock horn on, and go.

Thanks for the wiring diagram.

I was thinking more of setting up a two horn relay, but running both of their power's through a double pole switch.

ON = commuter grade
OFF = stock horn

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
After riding my dad's Wide Glyde, and I've always wanted to add a relay in case I ever added accesories, I realized I wanted to have a commuter grade horn on my bike.

Separate relays for horn, and accessories, correct? In order to maintain the usuage of the stock horn button.

But thinking about it, I also want to retain the stock horn, in order to use in those situations where the power of a commuter grade horn wouldn't be needed.

So I'm thinking of getting a toggle switch, and wiring it into the horns relay.

But I'm not sure what kind of toggle switch I want. I'm positive I can't use a regular toggle switch, and I need a double pole. I'm thinking an ON/OFF would work. ON would be the commuter grade, and OFF would be the stock horn. Does that sound like it would work, or should I go with a ON/OFF/ON? Going with an ON/OFF/ON could possibly put me in the position of having the horn off when I need it, so I think a ON/OFF switch would be best.

I'd mount the switch on the inside of the fairings, that little panel behind the lights or something.

I also almost want to add one of those safety switch covers (ex: Fighter Jets).

Am I on the right path?

What the phuck for? Do you really think you'll teach yourself to react quickly enough when you need the loud horn?

The horn is on the bike for one designed purpose: Warning. Why have a quiet one and a loud one?

(edit)

I have the Stebel Nautilus. There's no reason to keep the stocker after putting that beast on.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Drop the stock horn. I have two Fiamm Freeway Blasters mounted using the relay shown by drinkbrew. The stock horn does nothing other than let the police know where the bike is after you get hit. I've heard good things about the Stebel as well.

Between the stock horn and the Fiamms I would say probably 20% of cars heard the stock and visibly reacted. With the Fiamms its in the 90th percentile.

I like switches/functionality too, but drop the stock horn its not going to benefit you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some of you guys don't understand what my end goal is.

It's also just one layer of customization that would make the bike more, mine.

But this is the idea.

Switch Position 1: Commuter Grade (Stebil, Fiamm)
Switch Position 2: Stock

One switch will always be on, but I would keep the switch on position 1 if at all possible. Maybe I could switch it to a momentary switch deal.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
I still don't understand the purpose. When are you going to need the stock horn? My problem with it is that you will forget that it's not on switch position two when you might want it to be.

Again, though, what's the purpose? To make it more "yours"? Um, okay.

I've seen plenty who have left the stock horn running in conjunction with the Stebel, so that's nothing new. I think you're adding in complexity where it isn't needed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I see what you're saying, that's why I just brought up the momentary switch deal.

I guess I'll be going with the Fiamm now. Does it mount up in exactly the same spot as stock?

·
Registered
404 Posts
I understand what you're trying to do, but the stock horn isn't worth keeping at all.

If you are going with one horn, get the low tone.
If you go with two horns go low and high. This is the same configuration that larger vehicles use.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I mounted my Fiamm on the right side using the radiator mounting bracket. I found it was too tight a fit with the fairing in place to put it where the stocker originally lived. The horn cannot be over-tightened or touch anything. If must be able to vibrate/resonate properly to get the full blast sound you are wanting, otherwise it will sound weak. I like my low tone is Fiamm just fine (130 db)- if it ever broke I would probably try a stebel just two get the dual horn effect and 9 more db.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Lastly should I get both high and low tones, or will one or the other suffice?
Always get 2 notes!!! We as humans react in a certain manner. One note gives us a sense of direction, and the other note alerts us!

IT'S TRUE.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts