Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Horns are not a glamour item to be sure. You pretty much almost never need them and they get in the way when you don't.
Yeah, but when you need them, it suddenly gets really important.
Stock horns have been a source of humor since almost forever. Going back to the Sixties, my BSA Royal Star twin had a halfway decent beeper. But in those days, car drivers were nowhere near as insulated as they are now, and they weren't all totally engrossed in their stereos. In fact, there were no car stereos to speak of, just AM radios with analog tuners.
The first bike I ever had with useful horns was an '80 BMW R100RT, their "big" touring bike back then. It had Italian Fiamm horns in a nice pair. You can buy these on Amazon nowadays and they aren't even expensive, sometimes less than $20 apiece. They're actually kind of good and you would be making a big improvement if you grafted a set of them onto your SV.
For years I had a Gold Wing in the garage to suit my then-passenger. Now, those things come with real horns. They've been around so long you can get boneyard GL18 horns pretty cheaply on Ebay, and so I've done with my ZRX1100. They may be a bit larger and more ungainly looking than the stockers, right up until you need them.
Being in the edges of Chicagoland means we get into traffic a-plenty. The Missus did learn to use the horn, but that Suzuki stocker couldn't scare a sleeping Chihuahua, even if it was sleeping on top of the horn.
Having a matched pair of GL18 horns laying around, I got to eyeballing things one day when She was at work and I was left unsupervised. Below is a picture of the starboard installation, using the stock Honda bracket drilled out to match the tipover guard bolt. I did not do an elegant job of routing the wiring; I will have to get to that next time the fairing's off.
I did go to the trouble to make up a horn relay and wiring harness that is powered by one of the fused circuits I added to the underfairing space- really easy on the SV-S. (The other circuit is for the Oxford heated grips, a vital necessity.)
Now, the Missus came home to discover these highly un-aesthetic things stuck to the sides of her otherwise sleek motorcycle and did not necessarily approve, to put it politely.
That is, right up until the other day, we were slowly rounding the corner into our home street in the old town section of Lemont, and were balked by a Ford Escape that appeared to be lost or confused. When it got to be kind of a close thing, SV Lady lit up those Wing blasters and I swear the Escape driver lifted up a good inch out of her seat.
Sixty some bucks well spent!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Good post. I removed my stock horn and bracket and fitted one half of double Stebil Horn kit(Low-Tone) so I didn't have to use a relay on my,"99".

This also means I can get to the Front plug easy by just undoing the three Rad bolts and pushing the Rad forward,

The piece of card is just a temp protector for my knuckles and the Rad fins held in place with some Double sided tape when I do Front plug work :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts