Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice now I've noticed that my horn doesn't work ('03 650s). Both times seemed to be kind of a warm day (upper 70's to low 80's). Each time the horn fixed itself the next time I started it up. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
Two guesses

The switch on the handlebars is not very robust. You might try spraying some contact cleaner in there with the small tube that comes with the cleaner. You may have to disassemble to get the contacts clean.

The horn contacts are exposed to the weather and may be dirty. Pull the wires and clean the contacts.

There is no horn relay. If the switch on the handlebar is the problem, consider wiring in a simple relay. It will make the button much more reliable.

N

·
0 Posts
Another possibility is that the horn has crapped out (or is in the process of...). Replacement auto horns bolt right in and are available at any auto parts store.

:)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Sometimes I go to hit the horn but I forget what side it is on so I spin the starter. Are you sure you hit the right button? :?

BTW, horns on motorcycles are dumb. You can't hear my horn over my exhaust if I am above about 6 grand. And I am rarely below 6k. I use it to say hi to my neighbors or to make kids happy. Unfortunately, I am usually past them before I remember where the button is. Actually, I can't remember where on the pod the flash to pass button is right now.

The bike only needs a starter, kill switch, and turn signals.

·
Premium Member
378 Posts
You mean your horn button isn't wired to your NOS? :? :wink:

Anyway, I'd check to be sure everything is connected well. The horn and wire connection could work its way out and possibly cause this to happen. Be sure it's in securely. If that's not it, and the other suggestions don't work, then good luck to you 'cause I can't help.

-Nick

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
Re: Two guesses

andyauger said:
The switch on the handlebars is not very robust. You might try spraying some contact cleaner in there with the small tube that comes with the cleaner. You may have to disassemble to get the contacts clean.

The horn contacts are exposed to the weather and may be dirty. Pull the wires and clean the contacts.

There is no horn relay. If the switch on the handlebar is the problem, consider wiring in a simple relay. It will make the button much more reliable.
this is one of the things my mechanic told me last time I dropped it off for service. I use my horn about once a year, when I get my inspection sticker, never seems to fail, my horn always fails, I have replaced it almost every year, this year, the horn works, but no power is getting to it, I got till the end of June to get it working

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I HAVE THE SAME EXACT PROBLEM.............ARRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
ronlarimer said:
Sometimes I go to hit the horn but I forget what side it is on so I spin the starter. Are you sure you hit the right button? :?
BTW, horns on motorcycles are dumb. You can't hear my horn over my exhaust if I am above about 6 grand. And I am rarely below 6k. I use it to say hi to my neighbors or to make kids happy. Unfortunately, I am usually past them before I remember where the button is. Actually, I can't remember where on the pod the flash to pass button is right now.
You seem to be forgetting a lot of buttons on your left hand side. :) Horn is your left thumb, flash to pass is your left pointer finger (at least those are the fingers I use). I also use my left thumb for the brights switch...but thats much higher up than the horn. :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
ronlarimer said:

That's only because you have a suck horn.

http://ridesafer.com/store/item/fpcx/Horns/RideSafer_-_Fiamm_Dual_HK9_High_Performance_Horns_Kit.html

Put this beast on and ANYBODY not dead will hear you. Trust me.

·
Registered
5,776 Posts
I think its due to heat from the radiator effecting the horn itself, usually only happens on hot days my 03 does the same thing consistently.

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
dscline said:
Hmmm. If the horn is a heat sensitive device, I could think of a few better places to mount it. :tard:
Don't mount it under your plastic underbody, between the wheel and the body. Why? Bottoming out will cause your wheel to rip them out. DAMHIKT

Since you ask, I'll tell you.

The other night I hit a pothole deep enough to bottom out the rear shock. As I was riding after it, I hit my horn button, only to hear nothing. When I got off, looked at them, and found them nearly ripped from the mounts I made.

Dammit. Now I have an excuse to buy that new airhorn from www.ridesafer.com that I've been drooling over for weeks.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I got the dual fiamm ones this year and had some difficulty coming up with a mounting spot. I didn't want them under the seat, I didn't buy crazy loud horns so I could mute them! I ended up bending the bracket on one and using the stock mounting point after a little dremmel work on the radiator mounting nub and I put the other one on the right hand side using a radiator mount. It isn't as protected as I'd like but almost as much as it is sitting behind the radiator

·
Registered
919 Posts
jbswear said:
Don't mount it under your plastic underbody, between the wheel and the body. Why? Bottoming out will cause your wheel to rip them out. DAMHIKT
I definitely believe that. I just got my bike used about a month ago, the PO had already taken the rear fender off, and did the L bracket mount for the license plate and signals. A couple weeks ago, I got the license plate for it, and shortly after, I noticed it had rubbed the tire. Last week, I noticed the plate is completely gone. :eek: Now I have to consume untold bureaucracy costs in various reports to bet a new one. :confused4:

Back on horns... I was thinking of getting one of those super loud ones, and figured I'd just get a single one and use it in conjunction with the existing one. I'm also thinking about using a time-delay relay so I can do a really quick blip on the horn button to activate only the stock horn for a friendly "beep beep", or hold it down to activate both for more serious communications. I've been talking to a vendor this week to see how cheap I can get them, otherwise it may have to be home brewed.

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I revived the thread a la SEARCH.....can we get Suzuki to recall th horns? smiley Unlikely I know....but I find it a real issue as I use my horn frequently in the NYC area (read- cellphone toting, SUV driving, YENTAS) ...and on the ride in...horn works great....ride out...yenta blindly pulling out in front of me and im hard on brakes and horn...but...NO HORN....

I do not believe it's heat related because i left my bike running fiddled with the wires sprayed wd40 and nothing....turned bike off...then back on....STILL VERY HOT 200 degrees and horn worked no problem......IMHO - it's an electrical gremlin....and if it's happened on a significant number of bikes suzuki should fix the problem...

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
They arent even gonna think of recalling something non life threatening. They are gonna laugh at anyone who complains about the horn :D :D :D :D ill spend that second im trying to fiddle with the horn and then wondering why it didnt work to just avoid whatever im honking at...just me tho Nexus242

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
"just avoid whatever im honking at" you would not last long in NYC....not having a horn here is DEFINATELY life threatening

1 - 20 of 30 Posts