Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 SVS with just over 1000 miles on it has been having horn issues. It seems once the bike has been ridin for a while the heat from the engine is interfering with the horn circuit. This is the only time the horn doesn't work. Its happened a couple times, I'm not all that concerned about it and I'm pretty sure what is causing it, I'm just to lazy to trace the wires and do something about it. I'm just wondering if this is common. Has anyone else had this issue? Any recalls? Should be covered under warranty, just thought I'd see if this has happened before.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
stock SV horns are cheesey like may other stock bike horns, they are exposed to the elements and corrode internally as well, like many bike horns

nothing unusual

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Mine has been doin it since I got it from the showroom not all the time just every once in a while. Still havent figured out the problem yet. Tried to tell my dealership about it but when they test it it works. So basically you live with it or replace it choice is yours

·
Registered
394 Posts
Mine has been doin it since I got it from the showroom not all the time just every once in a while. Still havent figured out the problem yet. Tried to tell my dealership about it but when they test it it works. So basically you live with it or replace it choice is yours
+1
I only really ever need it to work once each year, when It gets inspected.
I always assume that people don't see me and I never rely on it but some times when I want to honk at a good looking girl it doesn't work. :(

·
Registered
628 Posts
My horn has been acting up a lot lately. I use it to scare off deer when they're lingering on the side of the road, but in the past few months it only lets me get off one little buzz, if anything. I'm going to upgrade eventually, but for now revving the engine does the trick.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Funny, my horn does the exact same thing. When I need it it doesn't work, but any other time well you know..... I am just to lazy to fix it.

Ohh wait one time it did work which thank god it did. I was riding with my buddy ( he is a harley guy ) he was leading, we approach a green light. There is a big pickup truck in front of us, the light turns red, I start to brake and I notice Mike is looking to his left. I hit my horn and he locks them up, coming about 2 feet from rear ending the truck. Someone UP THERE was making sure that horn worked!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replys. I figured it woud be common. I've had a few occasions where I have needed it and it didn't work, so I'm gonna look into the stebel horn. What I'm wondering though is wether its the horn or the wiring that is causing it to fail, the heat from the engine or the wind. Anyone have problems with the Stebel horn not working at times?

·
Super Moderator
8,604 Posts
Anyone have problems with the Stebel horn not working at times?
My Stebel horn's been good so far! smiley

Your intermittent problem is likely the horn itself. What makes horn go beep are internal contacts that rapidly open and close and are notorious for failing. Nearly every bike I've ever owned that had one of these cheapo horns has failed like yours.

The stock wiring is very reliable.

·
Registered
434 Posts
There is an exterior adjustment screw on back of horn. It may be painted over.
Scrape the paint/glue off loosen lock nut and adjust screw until it honks.
If that fails, I have a like new one from my 04 with mounting bracket if you are interested.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts