Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is from Hopkins on his spectacular highside:

"It was my fault really. I've been taking a few painkillers that I've been getting from Dr Costa. I just tried to do the best I could and stick with the lead group, but unfortunately my foot was bandaged up and I just lost feeling in it. That was really dangerous because you are on the edge of the tire so much here. With a broken foot, I just couldn't feel it on the shifter and I tried to keep my foot clear but accidentally hit the lever on that corner, the bike shifted to second and then I was flying."

·
Registered
56 Posts
wow... I didn't know about his broken foot, but that explains why he just lay on the road and didn't move... Does anyone know how badly that highside hurt him?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
riding on painkillers with a broken, bandaged foot just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. sounds more like a recipe for an accident...

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don't know the extent of his injuries, but he was walking around in good spirits in the pits a little while later. It was a crazy highside, he was sliding on the ground as if he lowsided, when the rear tire grabbed and threw him a good 6 feet or more in the air, did a full flip and landed square on his back. I might grab the shot from my TiVo tonight and post it...

·
Registered
514 Posts
stranger said:
riding on painkillers with a broken, bandaged foot just doesn't seem like a good idea to me. sounds more like a recipe for an accident...
Pros do it every day.

I guess thats the difference between a weekend warrior, and someone who is out to win.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Give him a couple of days. Maybe not shortly after the get-off, but very soon his body will tighten up and he'll feel it.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
{PMS}fishy said:
Pros do it every day.

I guess thats the difference between a weekend warrior, and someone who is out to win.
Oh another crash by Hopkins?! Who would have thought!? I hope he's not in MotoGP next year, kid is ridiculously inconsistent and he has an annoying personality (and ears).  ;D

·
Registered
285 Posts
Has anyone found a video link for the race?

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
{PMS}fishy said:
Pros do it every day.

+1

This ain't no trackday that you threw 2 bills at to have a go at it.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Yeah that was a really bad looking crash. It was very similar to the one Checa had in qualifying... but he got right up and walked away from it. I think in Hopkins's case he already had very strained ribs and landing on his back that hard must've been excruciating!

In his defense, that bike is one of the worst ones in the field to ride, though this does seem more his error.

BTW did any of you see that whacked crash that Lorenzo had in the 250GP? That was weird!

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
he'll be ok... he should be used to these wrecks by now as many times as he has gone down ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Pretty much every motogp rider is 10x better than the best of us here. They do turns faster than most of us dream of going straight. And Hopkins tries to stay competitive on a sh!tty bike... I have nothing but respect for the dude.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have you seen some of his charges recently? Guy definitely has a lot of talent. It just seems he's always been on a uncompetative bike, and with the recent Suzukis, a dangerous bike as well. I think if Suzuki got their act together, or if he moved to a Yamaha or Honda, we'd be seeing him on the podium fairly regularly.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
AndreRA said:
Hopkins tries to stay competitive on a sh!tty bike...  I have nothing but respect for the dude.
It's not a shitty bike... its just.. slow. This is Hopkins third year right? He still doesn't know how to ride fast without going over the limit.

Kenny Jr. rides the same bike and doesnt crash all the time.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Yes it is a shitty. Didn't you see Faster? The thing has more bugs than Windows 95 and frequently locks up the rear wheel--the primary reason for most of Hopkins's crashes. Hell he DNFs mroe than he crashes.

KRJ doesn''t crash as much because his bike's engine usually dies before he has a chance to. ;)

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Hmm, yeah they do have a problem keeping the suzukis running... Maybe I just dont like Hopkins personality and that temporarily blinds me to the problems with the bike. I bet they are just having to tune the thing so extreme that it's uber prone to failure. Makes sense that Kennys best result was in the rain, where he probably didn't flog the motor quite as much as a dry race. :-\

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Well its hard to know for sure what the problems are... if were easy enough that we could figure it out, Suzuki would probably be winning races! ;)

Still, I'd like to see what he could do on a Honda. Really though, I think Hopkins should be in the 250s, he's such a little scrawny guy. I bet he'd do well there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah.. 'zuk defiantly doesn't have their act together.. but in their defense they have been out of MotoGP for several years prior to this year haven't they?

RE: Hopkins high side... DAMN! I had to go back and watch that on slow-mo on the DVR.. so bad, yet so interesting..

the downshift theory sounds good to me... man that woulda been a lot easier on the body if it had just finished the lowside though. My wife was watching that race with me.. ha ha She's always heard me talk about high sides vs. lowsides and why highsides suck so much worse... as soon as they showed the reply she goes... "So I guess thats a highside?" .. EXACT-U-MUNDO!

RE: Lorenzo... Yeah... Pedroza was damn lucky he didn't get taken out in that one as well. Kinda odd the way the other bike kinda held his bike up and as soon as Peds bike was outta the way it was gone again... I figured when he ran into the other bike he was gonna be able to save it... not that I could or anything.. just figured that would get the speed back under control and get some traction back to the tires... Obviously I was wrong...

*SPOILER*
Too bad really about Gib's tool move.. I think he honestly had Rossi covered for the last lap.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts