Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friday morning going to look ,with cash in hand,at a one owner 07 with around 50000km. From what Ive read, thats nothing on these motors, depending on maintenance and riding style. Looks good in the pictures, time will tell.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
Welcome to SVR Zum. Fingers crossed you get the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here she is...
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

For how long...we will see
First time on a street bike in 30 or so years,so that ages me a bit(54 in June). Drove approximately 400km and have to say I'm a bit sore.
Speedometer Motor vehicle Odometer Gauge Measuring instrument

To be fair,I'm in need of a hip replacement,so although the bike was alittle more sport oriented ,the fault is with my body. I had a hard time getting my(right) leg on the peg lol but somehow in my mind thought it would get easier, plus I needed a way home. I going to try it around town,a lot shorter commutes see how it goes.
Going to search the mods,thought I seen a peg mod. I could also raise the seat(could use a bit of cushion,) but that would make the arm angle worse.I know the bars could be modified but thinking that's more then I want to do to a stock bike. Probably should of hopped on a Versys,or something similar but I didn't so I live with my decision. Anyways that my rant.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
She's a beauty Zum! But you may be more satisfied with an N rather than an S with your hip issues. I'm sure there is someone out there who would love a swap.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
Yes, the N has standard bars (as opposed to clip-ons). and a more upright seating position. Pegs on the S are higher and further back.

·
Registered
82 Posts
That’s why I bought the A model, and I was still a bit concerned since I‘m 6’2” and 250lbs, just turning 50, so starting to feel the knees and hips stuff. A cousin offered me a ride on his R6 a couple of years ago, and I showed him why I said no. Literally COULDN’T get my feet on the pegs while the bike was on its side-stand! 😄

I rode a lot until I was 16, but only VERY occasionally (once every 5 years or so) until the mid-90s. Then, about 8 to 10 years back, my brother got me on his street and trail to make sure I wouldn’t fall over, before I tried his MV Agusta Brutale 1090. THAT was an eye-opener, without even pushing it! Rode my father’s VStrom a couple of times, discovering a bit of anxiety had set in with age… but most of that’s gone now. I bought the SV to try rekindling a ‘passion’ for riding (or ANYTHING), since the Shadow 750 I’ve been rebuilding (father’s original bike) has been languishing for several years. Had to remind myself why I’m doing it… Which is why I didn’t get an NC700/750X/S. I wanted something with a bit of excitement, rather than a humdrum commuter, and the prices/costs were right.

So I’ve ridden it 3 times as of yesterday. Country roads from the dealer to my parents’ place. Country road to suburbs from there to my place. Then a light city ride to work yesterday, though got called on to deliver something downtown on the way home… First time riding in a city ever, but why not? Challenged myself by taking a more congested route with steeper stop and go hills. It was fine. Can’t wait to do more!

Was thinking of getting adjustable rear sets, but not sure I really need them now. With yours, I would almost look at changing out for a bike with a more upright and stretched out riding position. Or price up what rear sets (or peg lowering) along with risers and handlebars would cost. Probably will work out close to being the same!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Took yesterday off but on it again this morning, only 20km though. If i put my foot under the brake lever, it lessens the discomfort but thats not where i want my foot. Inside of my knee bugging too, again no fault of the bike all to do with that leg/hip. For the most part i just want to be able to get my foot on (and off,just as important) the pegs with ease.
What i found out so far coming from a drz400, is the power doesn't scare me, nor the weight. I know the sv650 was one of the lighter bikes but there a few within 50 lbs that i could look at. Im only 5'10 but flat footing this bike is easy, surprised me actually. Think i might try a gel seat or some way to raise the seat, give that a go. Im not to concerned tight now on the bar angle, short commutes, only looking to get that foot on/off the peg easier.

·
Registered
2000 SV650 N
1,076 Posts
Took yesterday off but on it again this morning, only 20km though. If i put my foot under the brake lever, it lessens the discomfort but thats not where i want my foot. Inside of my knee bugging too, again no fault of the bike all to do with that leg/hip. For the most part i just want to be able to get my foot on (and off,just as important) the pegs with ease.
What i found out so far coming from a drz400, is the power doesn't scare me, nor the weight. I know the sv650 was one of the lighter bikes but there a few within 50 lbs that i could look at. Im only 5'10 but flat footing this bike is easy, surprised me actually. Think i might try a gel seat or some way to raise the seat, give that a go. Im not to concerned tight now on the bar angle, short commutes, only looking to get that foot on/off the peg easier.
I don't know if it's a direct swap out, but you may be able to swap your S pegs and offsets with a set from an N. That may help your peg position.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, been searching seeing different things i may want to try. I know i'm asking questions that have been asked before but some old posts lost links,pictures,etc. The peg lowering has me interested, I like the lowering and not a molestation of the bike but not sure going back will help me, plus going pigion toed. I might just get some foam, strap it to my butt or bike to see if it makes a difference and decide where to go from there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You know yourself more than anyone else. Most modifications are only incremental, so will only help if your discomfort is already not that serious. The owner of the company I work for bought a brand new BMW touring bike ($$$). Ended up taking it for one long ride and parked it because of the pain. His doctor said if he continued riding his hips would be completely destroyed, so he sold the bike for a fraction of what he paid for it and swore off biking. He said he MAY be able to ride something like the larger scooters, but wasn’t about to try.

I spent a bit of time sitting on various bikes to determine their comfort level. Oddly, the SV650 wasn’t near the top of my list, though when I sat on the one I bought, it felt completely fine… Enough that I won’t need to look into the seat/rear set thing for a while. Which is good, because the wife still hates me for spending the money on the bike! 😄

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, felt a bit better raising my butt up 2 inches or so but the lean to the bars was to much. I dont feel like modding the triple clamp to acommidate bars so its going to be short ownership. Its not going far though, my son loves it so he will own it and ill keep the drz400. I am still looking for a more road worthy bike though, maybe a vstrom, the stance looks more up right so maybe i can handle it. Never know, maybe when my legs gets fixed, ill be back on the sv.

·
Registered
82 Posts
2 inches? That’s a huge increase! Yeah, that would really mess up your stance with those clip-ons. Can you return the seat? Seems a shame to lose that investment. What are you thinking of for a replacement bike?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts