Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you check the oil level accurately after a change or any other time with out a stand. When I look at the site glass with the bike upright its hard to see it with out looking from a slightly high angle. I am not sure from my view point if I am seeing the level accurately. I feel I should be down further like on my knees to see it right but I don't feel comfortable trying to hold the bike perfectly upright like that. Just wondering if there is a technique to it. Maybe I'm being overly cautious since this is my first bike.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
i usually just put the kick stand down,put it in first gear so she wont get away,then get off the bike,hold it level,then bend down and look in the glass while holing the bars/seat,if it goes over,the kickstand should save it.it's no big deal really,just gotta get used to it,it should be ok though.

·
Premium Member
9,691 Posts
level ground and have some one sit on it and short of putting a level across the gas tank or triples you can only be so accurate. Rear stands will solve your problems later on however I used a measuring cup to add 2300ml of oil to my 02.

:)

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I used a friend and had him sit on the bike like nexus...but got a rearstand on the way, you should take a look at investing in one :)

especially for washing the bike and lubing the chain...can't wait for it ;D

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
rear stand is by far the best investment i made for my bike. makes doing all sorts of things easier.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
you don't have to be that fussy about the level, as long as your roughly level ant it's between the lines, you ok

·
Registered
536 Posts
IIRC, the level you read on a rearstand does not equal the level you read with both wheels sitting on the ground. I think the level appears higher when on the rearstand, but it's too cold to go out to the garage and check ATM. Not a big deal, just a heads up if you're checking the oil on a rearstand for the first time.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
I agree, my bike on the rear stand does not give an accurate oil level.
The bike must be on the ground.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
honestly it don't make a damn bit of difference if it's on a rearstand or not, as long as the bike is not tipped on the sidestand or something. oil level isn't that critical, as long as it's close it makes no difference. do you put a level on your countertop before measuring one cup of hot water for coffee in the morning? of course not...

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
Get yourself a set of handy stands for 120 bucks for BOTH front and rear. +1 to being level maintenance should be done properly if its within your power to do so.

·
Registered
536 Posts
ridesideways said:
honestly it don't make a damn bit of difference if it's on a rearstand or not, as long as the bike is not tipped on the sidestand or something.  oil level isn't that critical, as long as it's close it makes no difference.  do you put a level on your countertop before measuring one cup of hot water for coffee in the morning?  of course not...
Except that if you look at the bike on the rearstand and say to yourself, "Oh, it's a little bit above the "Low" mark, it's OK," and then take it off the stand and ride away, you'll be riding a scoot whose oil level is BELOW the "Low" mark when it's on two wheels.

I'm not saying you shouldn't check your oil with the bike on a rearstand only (that's how I check it when the frontstand is otherwise occupied), but that is important info to know. That's all.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
for a quick check while sitting on bike, I let bike rest on sidestand then look at site glass, no oil will be visible at that tilt, then I lean in opposite direction at same tilt as on sidestand, I look at site glass and if it is completly covered with oil, then I know I am ok when I stand it up

when doind accurate checks, if you can't hold bike level with one hand on seat while kneeling next to bike, then get someone to help you

·
Registered
449 Posts
Just by a mirror on a stick from Sears if you don't have anyone to help you. They're great to have and are quite useful in other situations. $5-$6 well spent.

Grav.

·
Registered
476 Posts
balancing the bike is not difficult.  i usually keep my right hand on the handle bar and my left hand on part of the subframe.  kickstand down incase it falls away from me (never has, doubt it will).  just lift the bike towards me.  left knee on the ground and right leg extended behind me in case the bike wants to fall towards me (never has, doubt it will).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Before getting a rear stand I used to use a block of wood under the kickstand to keep it vertical. If you do this just be careful because it won't take much to tip it over if you bump it. I also use said block of wood to help get the feet on rear stand lined up because I'm always worried about dumping it getting it up onto the stand.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haseltonk said:
Before getting a rear stand I used to use a block of wood under the kickstand to keep it vertical.  If you do this just be careful because it won't take much to tip it over if you bump it.  I also use said block of wood to help get the feet on rear stand lined up because I'm always worried about dumping it getting it up onto the stand.
I think I'll try that when I don't have anyone to help me. I can do it without anything but it's a little difficult to keep the bike level while getting down low enough for an accurate view.

·
Super Moderator
8,820 Posts
pepperell said:
doesn't a rear stand jack the rear up and inherently throw off an accurate oil level check?
My point exactly, it raises the rear tire almost 3 inches off the ground.
The oil level is impacted in the sight window.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts