Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is ridiculous. I own three guitars. I can't play a single one.

But i'm losing sleep over this new guitar I want. :facepalm:

I now want one that I can take with me on my work travels. Because surely I will finally learn if I own one more guitar. I sound like the kid that needs 1,000,000,000 legos but doesn't play with the ones he already has. :(

Advice? Emotional support? What are the odds I actually play with a guitar if I'm nearly 3000 miles from home but don't play with the ones I have at home when I'm at home?

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Take lessons. Learn to play one of the ones you already have.

Use the money that you want to spend on another guitar and get some SV stuff, like tires.

·
Premium Member
857 Posts
What kind of guitars are they? And what are you lusting after?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've been trying to get myself to part with two of my guitars, as I just don't play them all much anymore. (I'm not particularly good, either... my younger bro took up guitar some years after I did and is WAY better than I could ever hope to be.)

I really only play my Martin acoustic and my Schecter solidbody electric these days. But I've also got an Epi Les Paul and an Epi Dot (poor-man's ES-335) that I haven't played in ages. I can't quite bring myself to part with the LP as it's had it's action lovingly worked over by an awesome local guitar guru - all of that being done before I bought the Schecter. And I can't quite bring myself to sell the Dot either, because it provides a sound that really isn't attainable by any solid-body electric. But then I look at them and say "I can use that money to buy XX for my bikes or XX for my guns" (I shoot in competition, so I spend a lot of money there...)

I wish I had gone and bought the Schecter first, then I wouldn't really be in this particular predicament.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of guitars are they? And what are you lusting after?
I have a jackson with the reverse headstock and high-gain pickups and a blues style guitar from a custom shop. Apparently the blues guitar is fairly nice. I took it to a guitar shop a while back and the guy immediately tried to buy it off me. It was a gift from a friend. He got it for nothing when the clear coat the custom shop was trying out over the silver sparkle got a yellowish hue. He just happened to be in the right place at the right time when they gave the thing away. I also have a cheap washburn acoustic.

I'm lusting after one of these:

or

Both are the "traveler" brand. All have great reviews but are pricey. 300-400usd.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I have no artistic talent whether it be music, drawing etc... I would love to learn to play guitar but thankfully I have always been reasonable regarding the things I spend money on and dont buy things I know will sit around. If you like guitars, sign up for some lessons or even get one of the DVD's that teaches you to play. I bought my brother a guitar for Christmas two years ago because he really wanted one and wanted to learn how to play. I knew he was never going to use it but it was Christmas so I got it anyway. It has been sitting for almost two years after about a month of playing around with it.

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
How the F can you have 3 guitars and not know how to play? That's just so friggin bizarre to me. Take some lessons or something.

When I want more guitars it's because I want them for different purposes. I have electric, electric acoustic (I like to use for different tunings) and my acoustic only. Can play all three. :p

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
I used to play my guitar...ten years ago. Then I got married, and I got the impression that she didn't care much to hear me play...odd...every other girl loved for me to play. I kind of gave it up. Jessie wants me to start up again, but I never can seem to find the time or the gumption to pick it up and build the calluses again.

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
I used to play my guitar...ten years ago. Then I got married, and I got the impression that she didn't care much to hear me play...odd...every other girl loved for me to play. I kind of gave it up. Jessie wants me to start up again, but I never can seem to find the time or the gumption to pick it up and build the calluses again.
Yeah that's a *****. I got reminded of that process when I put new strings on my most used acoustic...I generally buy the light strings but for some stupid reason I bought medium ones this time. Ouch.

·
Lifer
5,220 Posts
You just need to find a USE for your guitar and you playing it. If I didn't play shows/open mics/lead music @ church, I'd probably suck too. Those things FORCE me to practice and keep up with my skills.

Same with my photography and my blog. I could totally NOT shoot everyday (memory cards don't cost money like film!) if I wanted to suck and complain about it... OR, I could shoot EVERY opportunity that I have and get good enough at it that people pay me ;D

·
Registered
476 Posts
guitar lessons are a huge part of the answer. I've tried for several years to make progress without lessons, and I didn't progress anywhere near as much as I have in the past 16 months since I started taking lessons. But I also probably practice 2 hours per day (total). I'll sit with a guitar in my lap while watching TV, anytime of day.

I guess the hobby I suck at right now is physical fitness. I rarely work out and would like to be in better shape, not that I am in a bad way.

I haven't hit more than a bucket of golf balls over the past 2 years, so I probably suck at that too now.

I would be more than happy in life to be a super fast track rider who was in a legitimate (gets paid to play) band. Or if I could win the lottery and tell these a-holes to shove it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have always wanted to be good at woodworking. So, I signed up for a woodworking class here in Brooklyn. Better late than never.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I want to learn how to paint vehicles. I could so see myself building a paint booth in my personal garage and going to town.

But a hobbie I suck at is cycling. Yes its not hard to ride a bike, but when you ride with real Lance Armstrong dudes you come to realize that you suck very quick. I have not been on my bike in a while, been focusing more on the motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How the F can you have 3 guitars and not know how to play?
LOL. This.

I was given the blues guitar and learned to play some song intros. Then I bought the jackson because it was a good deal and I wanted to play around with metal music. I then bought an acoustic because I thought It would be more fulfilling to learn to strum an easy song or two and sing along. But, I got really frustrated when I was unable to strum and sing along. I can't keep my strumming hand on rhythm while singing along.

I think the reason I keep picking it up for a few weeks only to put it back down is that I don't see significant progress. I usually pick up on things quickly. But guitar kicks my arse.

Granted, I can play a song or two in chords (and most of the shine on you crazy diamond intro) but that takes a lot of concentration. I played "margaritaville" and "sex and candy" for at least an hour every day for over a week and never could sing along. :mad: That was the last time I played with any of them.. Over a year ago. :facepalm:

·
BANNED!!!
4,805 Posts
I taught myself, probably why I'm only decent. :p

But first I wanted to play riffs of songs I liked. So I learned the easier ones from Tabs. Then eventually I started learning songs with power chords (easier) then eventually I learned standard chords, then I learned how the power chords associated with the regular chords. Then I started learning how many many songs are basically just built off chord structures and thats when it all started to click.

For example if you dont know about chord structure and you try and play "Time of your life" By green day it appears difficult to play. Once you know chords it's the easiest song in the world.

When it comes to singing and playing..honestly it's a matter of repetition and memorization. Unless I KNOW the music and KNOW the lyrics I struggle as well. When I know both everything is more fluid...I believe that because you just know it, you don't think about it so it almost becomes natural...you know?

·
Registered
17,602 Posts
I taught myself, probably why I'm only decent. :p

But first I wanted to play riffs of songs I liked. So I learned the easier ones from Tabs. Then eventually I started learning songs with power chords (easier) then eventually I learned standard chords, then I learned how the power chords associated with the regular chords. Then I started learning how many many songs are basically just built off chord structures and thats when it all started to click.

For example if you dont know about chord structure and you try and play "Time of your life" By green day it appears difficult to play. Once you know chords it's the easiest song in the world.

When it comes to singing and playing..honestly it's a matter of repetition and memorization. Unless I KNOW the music and KNOW the lyrics I struggle as well. When I know both everything is more fluid...I believe that because you just know it, you don't think about it so it almost becomes natural...you know?
This was the second song I learned to sing and play to, right after Clapton's Wonderful Tonight. Years ago my mother told me she wants me to play it at her funeral. So every now and then I pick up the guitar and make sure I haven't forgotten it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts