Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I went out for my first ride with the AC-12 Carbon. definitely a bit louder than the Gmax, but a lot lighter. and the thing moves quite a bit of air. It also was pushing air from the bottom up right into my eyes. I was literally crying pretty much the whole time. Of course, it was my first ride, and by the time I was riding back, I had stopped tearing up and it was jsut my right eye. Also, I had put what I assumed was the breath-guard on, and it's what directed the wind into my left eye. that piece was actually the chin guard, which I desperately needed

It definitely fit well, and didn't leave my neck fatigued at all or pull around when I looked left or right. I can't wait to try it again with the chin guard in place, I'm sure it will change the dynamics of air flow a lot. However, this helmet does move a noticeable amount of air even without the stuff from underneath. There is a difference between the vents open and closed, and a difference in how loud the wind noise is.

If you just open the visor up, the wind catches it and pulls it all the way up. The main lock holds(thank god) but the first time I thought I had lost my visor! As long as you are deliberate about setting it in one of the "clicks", it stays, but they aren't nearly as firm as the ones in my gf's scorpion.

I think a big part of the noise problem are my skullcandy in-ear buds that I bought don't block the wind noise nearly as well as the JVC marshmellows I had. They definitely reduce it, but there's a bigger difference between my earbuds and my earplugs than with the JVC. They both are adequete though, and I don't have to blast the music to hear it, which is the whole point.

Of course, I find the paint and quality of the parts to be top notch. The vents feel firm, and even the plastic chin skirt feels like a quality piece. It is a good balance between flexibility and sturdiness. The thing also feels like nothing on my head weight-wise, which is a big difference between the Gmax and this. I don't think neck fatigue will be a factor anymore.

I will definitely check back and let you guys know how the wind is with the chin skirt in, and if it solves my "watery eyes" problem.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My AC12 carbon was rather loud. I contributed it to the carbon shell. It's so light though. I think its a great buy for the money.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just an update.

I put the "chin guard" in place correctly, and it eliminated by air flow problem. I got a lot of air in the helmet, but it was no longer "rushing" past my face, causing the tearing problem like before.

Once you set the visor in a "click" it stays, but if you just pop it open it it will fly up.

It's still pretty loud. Definitely louder than other helmets I've had. That's pretty much the only downside though.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
what even works better is the 'chin piece' for a Scorpion EXO700 helmet [$6-$7], i've got both the Carbon Vader and Carbon Elbowz and that really keeps the wind/debris from coming into the helmet, i used the HJC piece for awhile, but, it kep't deforming if ya put the helmet down flat, well, as flat as it would go with that piece on it!!

and, yes, it IS louder than my Shoei RF1000, but, cools much better...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts