Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on my way to work and suddenly noticed a buzzard launch itself from the roadside. My first reaction was to start ducking my head down since I had to duck once before to save myself from a buzzard face strike. I had my head down about half the way to the tank when it became apparent that the bird wouldn't clear the handlebars so I stopped ducking. Big mistake because when it hit the headlight it exploded and sprayed my face and shoulders with buzzard guts! (I won't mention how fast I was going!) I pulled over and picked big chunks of buzzard meat from my face shield and shoulders. It stunk something awful and the flies were on me immediately.
My leathers saved my clothing so I went on to work. The headlight and lense was trashed but the bulb was intact and still worked on high beam so I made it home after dark OK. It cost me $350 to replace the headlight and right side brackets but it's all back together again.
Gawd how I love riding this bike, I have almost 50k on it now and every day is a new adventure!

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Hitting large animals sucks. Have killed dogs, a cat, several *****, a deer, countless squirrels, several birds (although none as large as your's my friend), moles, turtles, hit a fox once but dont know if it died. I am sure there are other specie in there i have forgotten.
It's a bloodsport really if you ride enough. Yours and your prey.

·
Premium Member
1,471 Posts
Glad to hear you survived relatively unscathed! Since I ride primarily at night to avoid the Texas heat, I have had similar events and close calls, although I haven't yet had a large bird hit me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts