Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I ride a 99 SV650 and recently, about a day ago, I was riding down a street and hit a pretty bad pothole. Immediately after, my clutch started acting weird. It was as if the clutch was more engaged than before, even if I was pulling all the way in on the clutch lever. If I was idle, and I had no brakes held on, the bike would start rolling slowly...

Later that night, it got worse to where if I stopped at a red light in 1st gear (or even 2nd) the bike would slowly come to a stall, even with the clutch lever pulled in.

I temporarily fixed the issue mid-traffic by adjusting the cable adjuster at the lever and everything seemed fine for a while.

Now tonight, I started having problems with it again so I checked out the AndyAuger's Clutch Mantra regarding the clutch adjustment. I did that, yet when I went to go test ride it around, it felt/sounded as though something snapped mid-shifting. The lever, at this point, was useless (100% slack). I checked all the parts and the cable seemed to be intact still, however my bike was absolutely not shifting. The lever was 100% loose. I used my hand to get it into neutral to roll it back home.

I came back and saw that the cable adjuster at the lever had snapped in two.

This did not seem to be the case the day before...(although I could be wrong)

My question is:

I've never had this problem before, so could the initial pothole incident have caused my clutch to have somehow shifted within the housing that it sits in? Is the cable adjuster the culprit? Where do I begin to look to see where the actual problem is coming from?

Thanks for your help in advance!!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Is the cable adjuster the culprit?
Yes. It´s not that uncommon. Your dealer will happily sell you a new one. :)

Where do I begin to look to see where the actual problem is coming from?
The adjuster can´t really take side load, which is usually itroduced via the steel bend right behind it. Turning it further out for adjustment obviously doesn´t help matters.
Check whether your clutch cable has excessive tension or puts a side load to the adjuster at any point of movement of the steering - most often it´s probably from being slightly too short for some adjustments/mods people make (lever position or changed handlebar).

Ciao
Jan

1 - 2 of 2 Posts