Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the way home from a friends, was going around a 15mph 90 degree curve, and as i accelerated back to the speed limit of 45, i noticed a rabbit staring at me in the ditch on the right side. At that moment he signaled his buddy on the other side of the road to dash out in front of me, but i spotted him from the corner of my left eye, and about one thousandth of a second later her head came into contact with my left shin. about 5 seconds later and a few hundred ft further down the road, i realized i just shinned a deer in the head at 45mph, and decided since i wasn't in the ditch with broken limbs or assessing the damage to the bike, i might as well keep on going.

after parking i looked over the bike and there was no damage, although my leg is pretty soar.

so my story for tonight, enjoy.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
So now we got a guy that punched a deer and won, and a guy that kicked a deer and won. Looks like SV's are on the offensive.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Dang dear was suicidal and needed some help completing its mission. Too bad you couldn't help it out more than you did.

Glad you didn't fall down. Dear are one of the top reasons I don't like riding at night.

·
Registered
406 Posts
the road into town where i live can have over 50 deer in the fields and within view in a 100km stretch.

i have "speed may thrill, but deer kill" on my speedometer

a buddy of mine totalled a honda shadow and spent 8 months in therapy after hitting a deer

i have had so many close calls, it's not even funny anymore.

i'm glad to hear you're okay.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys, i am definitely blessed to have come out of that okay, there is no doubt about that. i see deer all the time at night, i know all there usual spots, so i ride very slow through those areas, this one was right next to some houses, a little bit unusual for a deer to be there. it could have ended very badly tonight.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Glad you walked away with just a soar shin brother. i work at night and the highway i take has lots of deer running around.always makes me nervous.hit a coon one night doing about 80-85, i seen him, squezzed the tank with the knees tucked in as far as i could and caught air. but i landed with the rubber side down.only thing that broke was a fog light. scared the sh!t out of me.

·
Registered
437 Posts
the road into town where i live can have over 50 deer in the fields and within view in a 100km stretch.

i have "speed may thrill, but deer kill" on my speedometer

a buddy of mine totalled a honda shadow and spent 8 months in therapy after hitting a deer

i have had so many close calls, it's not even funny anymore.

i'm glad to hear you're okay.
I think that you meant 100m stretch. ;D

You could be talking about my neighborhood.......it's the same here.

It's gotten so bad here that I seldom ride tword evening, and even more rarely after dark. There are so many deer here it's just too dangerous. I've hit woodchucks, birds (obviuosly durring the day), coons, rabbits, skunks and deer. I must admit that I've even considered quitting riding on the street (after 35+ years) just because of the critters. Tar snakes and other drivers pose enough challenge w/o critters adding to the problem.

Glad that you're OK Neal. It could have been MUCH worse.(my plate and screws ache just thinking about it)

·
Premium Member
639 Posts
Glad you are OK.
The outcome could have been much different.
Encourage hunting.

·
Registered
437 Posts
That's why I only ride in safe places - like Manhattan!

Kidding. But I do not like taking the Saw Mill upstate in the morning or evening for that reason! There are a ton of deer standing feet from the road. You never know when one will spring out.

Glad you're safe! Were you wearing leather or shin guards or high boots or anything that you think helped or were you just tough/lucky?

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Glad your ok and the bike also.

That's why I do my part and take out a half dozen deer each year with bow, pistol, shotgun and muzzleloader ;D

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I've talked about here before but last October the Deer hit ME!!

Actually 2 of them bastages!

They were side by side with one about a half length in front of the other. That's the one I tapped on the ass with point of my upper fairing but the trailing deer hit me right in front of my right clip-on which instantaneously put me from a straight up vertical riding position to squarely on the asphalt at 50+ mph in less than the blink of an eye! I hit the right side of my head so hard as well as my right shoulder and hip and slid with the bike for 58.5' feet from the first impact of my R&G slider to the point it stopped. I stayed attached to the bike the whole slide.

The lead deer kept on going while the one that hit me was down but as I got to my feet and looked back, it was getting off the ground and made it up the hill with her buddy. I don't know how she faired beyond that. I know I was hurtin' bad!

Took 2 years off from Deer Hunting the California A-zone. This year I'm drawing 2 tags!

The SV's all better now after about $2400 in insurance claims for my gear and replacement parts. My shoulder separation is healed and now it's time to start building the muscle back up. I was very lucky!

·
Registered
856 Posts
the guy that punched the deer didn't win, i hate dear, one did 1100 damage to my old jetta and left me stranded, f'r rain off.

·
site supporter
6,095 Posts
Deer scare the bejezuz out of me. Kudos to you for not joining Mr. Bunny in that ditch.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts