Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple months from now I will be relocating.. and my commute to work will be about 30 highway miles.. and I will prolly be travelling about 85 mph for 30 min each way. The gixxer.. has the fairings for wind protection.. but a less comfortable riding position.. whereas the sv has a comfortable riding position.. but no wind protection.. which would be a more comfortable commute given the tradeoffs? (Since I don't like the idea of a windshield on the SV)

Thanks. :shock:

F

·
0 Posts
Some choice

If you really can't stand to go out and get a decent windscreen like the Givi A750 or something, then the Gixxer would probably be better -- if you can just lay down on a tank bag while you float down the highway.

R

·
0 Posts
Gixxer vs. SV

I didn't ride a Gixxer, but I spent a bit of time sitting on a 1000 at the dealership and I have to admit, I didn't think it was that bad. I think I could live with the riding position for the performance. I just wish it was a twin or a V4.

Riding positions are such a subjective thing - I like the Gixxer, but hate both of the TL's. I like the Hayabusa and ZZR-1200 but don't really like the ZX-12 - although there's not much measured difference between them.

Really I think it matters most what kind of riding you're doing. For slower riding you'd probably want the SV, especially if there is a lot of stop and go. For high speed (as in above 90) you might want the Gixxer. I have the naked SV with the Suzuki flyscreen and I'd say it's good to around 90-100 on a day with normal wind, before the wind battering becomes more than it's worth.

M

·
0 Posts
GSXR Vs. SV

I had an SV and now have a GSXR. I had a targa 1/4 fairing and it made a lot of turbulance at my 6 foot head. I had nothing, and it sucked, but NOT AS MUCH AS THE 1/4 fairing. If you lay down realy low, you are actually tucked nicely out of the wind, I guess the headlight is your fairing then. But, the naked SV is NOT designed for that type of riding, so you're not realy in controle of the bars very well, and all of your weight is on your tush. This casued me some discomfort, as my considerable tush was not up to the daunting task of supporting my vast bulk. Humm. Then I got, what was later identified to me as a Suzuki Fly Screen, THAT THING IS THE NADS! If you can wrap your mind around having a \"windshield\" I recomend this as your best solution.
Now, the GSXR. My humble appolagies to all the show-room sitters out there, but you just can't get the feel of this bike sitting still. Under speed, with you'r knees gripping the tank, the riding position conspires to distribute your weight over the feet, tush and hands. Nicely done, and actually rather comfortable. I tend to rest my left arm on the tank and take the weight off of my throtle hand after a long bit of riding. The wind protection is great, even compared to the fly-screened SV. This I like. Around town, SV HANDS DOWN, On the road, gsxr by a nose, in the twisties, either is a nice bike. One added note, as you mentioned comuting: I have not yet been able to bring myself to even mount saddle bags long enought to adjust the straps on the gixer. Can you imagine how horrible a top-box would look? Ughk. Look, all those words and still not a damn answer to which bike is best. I could work over at Motorcyclist! (You reading this Boehm?

Best of luck

Ken
[email protected]
Haverhill MA

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
With the new '06 GSXR vs any year SV, I'm thinking the GSXR may be more comfortable for any distance.

·
Premium Member
4,625 Posts
ShaggyZ said:
With the new '06 GSXR vs any year SV, I'm thinking the GSXR may be more comfortable for any distance.
WTF dude? How is this thread popping up? 2002?! Explain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts