Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i lowsided my bike at about 60 to 70 mph in a 30 mph corner. not sure how much damage is on the bike yet but im probably gonna part it out after i get it back. its a 03 sv1000s if you happen to be in search of any parts or a parts bike let me know. all i know so far is the clutch master is destroyed and so it the front fairing. i just got released from ER and the DRs and CHP's were discussing how my gear set up was the only thing that was the difference between me being dead and walking away from it.

i was told it looked awesome though. witness said i did a tuck and roll in mid air after the bike went out from under me and i rolled 1 time and stood up out of the roll. went from around 60 to 0 in 1 roll walked around for a minute then almost collapsed on the side of the high way.

please people wear your gear and for anyone that has a SV1000S for the love of god change the hydrolic clutch to a cable system before its too late.

my hydrolic clutch completely failed and i couldnt take bike out of gear for braking purposes and so i ended still being way to fast for the corner from a lack of stopping power. i could hear my rear tire trying to push the bike.

once again WEAR YOUR GEAR

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
my hydraulic clutch completely failed and i couldnt take bike out of gear for braking purposes and so i ended still being way to fast for the corner from a lack of stopping power. i could hear my rear tire trying to push the bike.
This part has me a little confused...

You don't squeeze the clutch and keep it squeezed while braking, are you? The clutch isn't squeezed for braking purposes, it's used for downshifting purposes.

And the rear tire wouldn't push the bike unless you keep the throttle open. Close the throttle and you get engine braking.

·
Registered
13 Posts
This part has me a little confused...

You don't use the clutch for braking purposes, you use it for downshifting purposes. You're not saying that you squeeze the clutch and keep it squeezed while braking, are you?

And the rear tire wouldn't push the bike unless you keep the throttle open. Roll off and you get engine braking.

That's what I'm confused about ?? I use the engine breaking to slow me down, downshift prior to entering the corner and use bugger all rear break unless I want to rear to squat down more mid corner to help turn. ???? I'm confused !

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Sorry to hear about your crash. If the clutch failed and you couldn't shift gears or enter neutral, you still could have released the throttle and braked hard all the way down to stalling the engine, no? Either way, not a good thing to happen approaching a turn at 2X the posted speed. Feel better soon.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
There has been something broken in the tranny for quite a while...yes? I'm betting what caused it to lose 6th gear finally spread to the rest. Been wondering if it was safe to ride with a known transmission problem like that. Too late now!:) Hope you heal up.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the shift fork for 6th is messed up and i was approaching the corner too fast to powershift down i was already hard braking and could hear both front and rear tires skidding. i did the plus 1 sprocket in the front and it drastically reduced the amount of engine braking in higher gears. the bike just wants to float like a caddy in 5th let off the throttle and it just about coasts. i tried to pull in the clutch to take the pressure of the rear tire cause the ass end was starting to slide out. leaned as far as possible. (by the way, touching a knee to road without a knee pad is strongly advised against.) about the time i touched the knee i tried to straighten out and the front tire hit some loose graven near the lane line and the bike literally vanished out from under me and according to the person that called 911 i did a tuck and roll in mid air and rolled 1 time on teh ground and stood up out of the roll/ went from about 60 to 0 in 1 roll. i dont remember doing the tuck or 1 roll i remember standing there and at the top of the 6 foot ditch the bike landed in and cussing out the bike cause i just finished doing a lot of work to it. then i walked about 20 feet to the nearest driveway were i basically collapsed until paramedics were there and i was on a back board in a neck brace and my pants were being cut off by an ever so beautiful emt lady... giggity she even said she wouldve let me hot box the ambulance if she wouldnt get in trouble for it. it was a crappy wreck but chp was surprised cause i didnt lie to them about anything. i even told them i have an ounce of high grade medical marijuana in my back pack. he said to shut up and he didnt want to know. they flagged down a few harley riders to ask them in a clutch failure can cause an accident and they all 3 said that hydrol clutches are death traps. the officer that pulled the bike out of ditch said there was no clutch resistance and the rear brake line burst. only thing i didnt tell them was that i was doing abuot 100 down the straight away that was like 3 miles long then started to slow down and all hell broke loose. i really just wish i had that wreck on video i really want to see the tuck and 1 roll stand up

reguardless i cant stress enough the importance of gear. especially the spinal brace. chp and the er dr were talking about it right in front of my as if i was out. they all agreed that the one piece i was wearing aside from helmet that they consistantly see motorcycle survivors wearing is that bike protector vest. er dr said thats the difference between being paralyzed or an amputee and being able to walk away

WEAR UR GEAR PEOPLE especially you guys that live in the retarded states that dont require even a helmet. wear your gear. it will save your life. great reason to wear a helmet 2 days before i wreck it i was getting new chain and sprocket and on the way there i took like 4 rocks to the fullface helmet kick up by a big rig. no helmet would probably = a dead me

·
Registered
818 Posts
Interesting. BTW, GWS means Get Well Soon.

From your description, the cause of the crash was rider error, not a hydraulic clutch failure. Quoting anonymous HD riders stating that hydraulic cluctches are death traps is beyond hilarious.

Even if there was a clutch failure, all it would mean is that you stayed in 6th gear, which will not cause a crash. The distraction may have consumed some attention, but downshifting is not necessary to make the corner at the speeds you describe.

I would suspect that the high-grade medical marijuana had way more involvement in the crash than any clutch failure. Fortunately you didn't take anyone else out in the crash.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i had it in my back pack. i wasnt high when the wreck happened. and im sure there was a combination of rider error and mechanical issues that didnt exactly help. thats a pretty crappy comment to suggest that i was operating the bike under the influence. if that had been true i would have a dui or a dwi i was completely sober when the accident happened.

im not tryint o start a fight here but have you ever had certain vital parts or your bike fail on you in mid ride? im not talking about blinkers either. im not a professional track rider so i dont have decades of track experiance. im sure i made some rider errors as it was pretty terrifying to have certain system failures in mid ride. and to reply to your comment about the hydro clutch not being an issue. there is a reason why they put cable conversion kits on track bikes and its not cause its lighter. its cause they cant afford to have the hydraulic clutch go out on the track and take out all the following riders. hydraulic clutch systems have been known to leak for no reason since their creation in both cars and bikes. not to mention that you have probably never ridden on that particular stretch of road to feel all the bumps and imperfections and random gashes from construction work accidents. i dont care what speed you are going, your tires hit gravel in mid turn and you eat the pavement.
you guys can keep your hydraulic clutches if you dont think they are problematic but do yourself a favor and search the forums for clutch issues and then tell me there are no problems with the hydraulic setup

·
Registered
818 Posts
One of the effects of mj is an impairment of cognitive functions that lasts longer than the high. So of the two mentioned possible causes (1) failure of the clutch to disengage, and (2) mj, I still maintain (2) is the more likely scenario. Not being able to downshift simple cannot cause a crash under the conditions you describe.

What you describe sounds a lot like poor judgement - (mj impairment?) - riding 100mph on bumpy, imperfect roads with gouges from road construction and accidents, out-running your sightlines, cornering aggresively on familar roads that you know are (again), bumpy, imperfect and gouged, with ongoing road construction.

The reason you couldn't have gotten a dwi/dui was that the police didn't bother to test you. You might well have tested clean, but from all of your description of the riding up to the crash, the crash itself, and the aftermath, your judgement wasn't spot-on. I don't know how much of that had to do with mj or how much with other factors. Obviously, the post-crash behavior could be mostly attributable to shock.

As you say, I don't know the road where you crashed. But I have known a number of users, and I've done a bit of study on motorcycle safety and crashes. I'm glad you had your gear on and escaped w/o serious injury. I hope you give serious thought as to the contributing causes of the crash so that you can avoid the necessity of repeating the incident. As you say, no need for a fight between us, as the fight was already fought between you and physics.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
A barrel roll in the air and then one roll and stopped from a 60mph crash??? Was that from the first or second Diehard movie? Or was that Biker Boyz?

Glad to hear you're okay and that you were wearing gear.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
lol if thats in a movie its not one i have seen. i dont even remember the roll part thats what the witness told the 911 dispatch. i remember standing up and cursing the bike out cause i just put like $1000 into it from various repairs and neglect from the previous owner. waited about 2 to 3 months to get all the parts and 2 days later the bike is wrecked. then after that i walked to a driveway nearby and laid down.

like i said im sure there was a fair amount of both mechanical error and rider error that played on each other. i was not under the influence of anything i had MJ in my bag because im a delivery driver for cancer patients that have a medical card. well i WAS anyways. kinda hard to deliver on foot. reguardless i was just saying that its pretty rude to jump to the conclusion that i was under the influence just cause i had some in my bag. thats like saying the budweiser guy is drunk if he wrecks his delivery truck cause he had beer with him. either way the bike is wrecked so it dont really matter and as for the fight between me and physics i think its a stalemate. it got the bike for sure but if physics was coming after me it missed.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Glad your ok, bikes can be replaced

And not to re-open the discussion about the MJ.. But you gotta understad how that sounded in your post: "she offered to let me hot box in the ambulance" and "I have an once in my pack." I honestly would have jumped to the same conclusion.. Only because not once in there did you mention it was for work until many posts later. Save yourself the hassle next time and put in "...ounce in my pack (because I deliver for cancer patients)"
Lol

·
Registered
818 Posts
LOL. I guess it really has been a long time since I hung out with the stoner crowd. Not the Stoner crowd, as I still follow Moto GP on occasion. :) Hot boxing, huh? That one slipped by me entirely from the OP, but I looked it up after 608's comment. Okaaay. I'm even more confident in my assessment of rider error and chemical damage, and probable impairment. It's a shame, really.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts