Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at an aftermarket exhaust ever since I got the SV, something to make it louder and more aggressive sounding, while also improving looks and power. I noticed a lot of people have high mounts, and my question is, what's the payout?
I know with a high mount pipe, you increase your corning clearance, but is that the only major benifit as opposed to a standard mount pipe? I am leaning towards a standard mount, but those high mounts look cleaner and more aggressive, but place the hot exhaust closer to the rider. Anyone with a high mount have any problems burning their or their passenger's leg on the pipe? Thanks in advance.

Dave

·
Registered
571 Posts
i don't really think the high mount versions are that much more expensive than their standard mount counterparts. the holeshot is $30 more. not a big deal in my book if you are already shopping for a new exhaust.

there aren't really any benefits to one or the other. it is just a personal preference. one thing about the high mount is you lose all ability to use saddlebags if you ever want to.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I think the high mount setup looks a little cleaner, but I do want to keep the rear passenger footpeg assembly (I saw an M4 carbon fiber kit that retains the stock passenger footpeg assembly, so I'm looking into that one). Know of any other kits that keep the passenger footpegs? Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
52 Posts
A highmount generally crashes better as I found out. My highmount (like most) tucks in behind the passenger pegs so the exhaust is very well protected. Lots of stuff broke when I hit a deer and highsided, but thanks to the highmount, the passenger pegs COMPLETELY saved my exhaust.

And no, I've never had a passenger complain about the heat, that's not an issue.

Mine is a Micron and it comes with spacers that push out the right passenger pegs so it can fit behind them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
chickenwafer said:
Thanks for the replies guys. I think the high mount setup looks a little cleaner, but I do want to keep the rear passenger footpeg assembly (I saw an M4 carbon fiber kit that retains the stock passenger footpeg assembly, so I'm looking into that one). Know of any other kits that keep the passenger footpegs? Thanks.

Dave
I know holeshot keeps the pegs

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys. I deff do like the look of a high mount- looks a lot cleaner. I like that ones that tuck it way up there. Thanks again for the replies.

Dave

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
True- but even with those, getting it back is usually fairly straightforward. My WRP didn't cater for the pillion peg, but it's just a case of finding a couple of spacers and some longer bolts to make it work out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm running the Devil carbon high-mount on my bike. It came with the necessary spacers to keep the right rear pegs. They only make a high-mount now. $449 for stainless, $499 for cf and titanium. Got mine with discount at last year's motorcycle show. Also, If you want to go full system, Devil only makes headers for up to '02 SV's. They say not enough demand for newer models. It sounds great by the way. No, I'm not a sales rep, just a satisfied customer. devilbikes.com

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
most high mounts dont make as much power, although not a lot less. they do tuck in better, but don't provide more cornering clearance. i havent seen many std or race mounts that can touch down unless you're sampling pavement and dirt.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You may have to replace or move your turn signals if they are stock. My Leo Vince high mount (ultra high) has to have turn signals removed..but since I have HotBodies undertail that has its own turn signals, there was no problem.

Mike

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
For you Leo Vince guys, what's the difference between the high mount and the ultra high? Just another inch closer to the body? Touching the body?

For the original thread, the Yoshimura "high" pipe makes you lose the rear peg entirely, because it replaces it, it doesn't tuck behind it. The Yoshi "high" version bends up at a steeper angle, instead of having the S shape mid pipe and then returning to a parallel to a normal pipe fitting.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had experience with Blueflame on my Yamaha's and they are great. I never experienced the leaks that a lot of people talk about, but maybe I just got lucky. One fo the better sounding pipes in my experience, and it kept the passenger pegs, and with the carbon I didn't have to worry too much about heat.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.