Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, been cruising the boards for awhile, but need a question answered so I registered...
I'm from Wenatchee WA and my name is Michael... Looking for a Sv650S.

Found a bike on Craigslist for $3200 obo. It's an '01 SV650S (Red)
The only thing that I don't like; It's got 24K miles on it.

How many miles is considered high mileage for one of these bikes?
Around what mileage do repairs start having to be made?

Thanks.
Michael

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
As far as the motor goes, don't let the miles scare you. But I think $3200 is mucho for that bike. If it's pristine and needs nothing then maybe it's good.

Check the tires, chain and sprockets, brake pads, battery, fork seals. All those should be good. How about a maintenance schedule? Any documentation? Oil changes, coolant change, valves checked? I'd check things out good especially when paying a premium price.

Has it been tipped or crashed? Check barends, levers, pegs, rims, bottom of fork tubes etc. for any scrapes. Good luck.

N

·
0 Posts
24K is high mileage.

Use it to negotiate the price down, but don't worry about it. The bikes got many more miles than that in it if it's been cared for. I've got 40K on mine, bought (cheap!) at 26K.

:)

·
Registered
73 Posts
WaRider... i think i know which bike you are talking about... is it located in Corvallis? I see it all the time, and was actually going to to buy it, but the seller was on vacation. The bike has a scorpion high mount, frame sliders, fender eliminator, flush mount turn signals, jet kit, and other nick nacks... I know i offered him $2800, and the best offer he got was $3000, but then they must have bailed, since he is still trying to sell it. His original price was $3500... the bike sounds NICE.. shoot for $3000 and ur golden.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
nc_sv650 said:
24K is high mileage.

:eek: I guess finding some sucker to buy my SVRatbike for $3K is outta the question??? ;D

Not that I'd ever sell my SV. Too much history (and shade-tree/ghetto modding :-[). When the time comes, the SV gets company, not replaced...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imdbui said:
WaRider... i think i know which bike you are talking about... is it located in Corvallis?  I see it all the time, and was actually going to to buy it, but the seller was on vacation.  The bike has a scorpion high mount, frame sliders, fender eliminator, flush mount turn signals, jet kit, and other nick nacks... I know i offered him $2800, and the best offer he got was $3000, but then they must have bailed, since he is still trying to sell it.  His original price was $3500... the bike sounds NICE.. shoot for $3000 and ur golden.
That's the one...

If I do decide to buy it, I'll offer him $2800 as I can always go up.

I'll talk to the guy about his maintenance. I just wanted to know if 24K was considered high miles for a bike. Thanks guys, and I'm sure I'll have more questions on the way!

Michael

·
Registered
215 Posts
I bought my 01 naked for $3200 w/ 24k miles, but it was a commuter and that's what i do w/ it. I'm not worred about mileage if its had proper maintenance. The bike ran good, but needed to be jetted, had a full micron, new tires, chain and sprockets, EBC brake pads in packaging front and rear, dual headlights, fork springs not installed - but are now, full shop manual, and a bunch of spares. It was a good deal to me since i was gonna do all the mods anyway. So buying one bone stock was not what i wanted. i'D say go for it if its been taken care of.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More Questions...

Well, the bike already sold so I'm looking again.  Will actually have the money next month to buy a bike outright instead of make payments, or something else.

What do you guys think I could pick up an '03 or newer SVs for?

I know that you can't rejet the fuel injected bikes, but what mods are common for a 2nd gen Sv?
Is it a disadvantage to not be able to rejet the carbs?

One more thing, what's up with the Salvage titled bikes? Deffinately stay away? Or if everything checks out, then it's a Go? Any opinions or experiences appreciated.

Thanks.
Michael

·
Registered
278 Posts
2nd Gens are FI (fuel injected) so they require an aftermarket "computer" for lack of a better term, if you want to adjust the air/ fuel mixture. They will be something similar to this:
http://www.powercommander.com/313-411.shtml

Its actually easier to play with an FI bike once you spend the money on something like the PCIII. Other mods are pretty much sky's the limit, exhaust, suspension, intake etc etc..

Only real downside to a 2nd gen is that you will probably pay more for it.

On that title note: If your getting a street bike, stay clear of salvage titles... too much hastle. If its a track bike or stunt bike, go for it.

Hope that helps  :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The bike already sold. It's alright though, there's lots of em out there...

Michael

·
Premium Member
3,557 Posts
24,000 used to be high mileage. People still think that - but it's not a bad sign. Matter of fact - a lot of time, these are the bikes that have been cared for the best, since they recieved such frequent use.

Bikes today, when cared for will last a LONG time. Almost without exception - they'll all go 100,000 miles properly maintained. Not just SV's. I've got 23,000 on mine and know of several past 30,000 - and RandyO's at 119 is a case in point.

Throttlecrazed said:
2nd Gens are FI (fuel injected) so they require an aftermarket "computer" for lack of a better term, if you want to adjust the air/ fuel mixture.....
A good Suzuki mechanic will have Yoshimura's Black Box - which can re-program the stock ECU, negating the need for a Power Commander. If you want to play with the jetting to your heart's content- then, yeah, a PC is the only way. But just adding a pipe and tuning it once - the black box will do quite nicely.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Proper maintenance is the key.... I have 43,000 +- on my naked 00 and it runs better than new (got a Few mods). One of my riding buddies just purchased a 05 naked and is swears that mine pulls harder and accelerates faster. (could be the cams and sprockets He,he) but the point is that if it is taken care of you shouldexpect a lot of miles out of it. This ain't the 80's anymore. Back then 20,000 meant it was ready for the junk pile........Sleeper

N

·
0 Posts
Going back to the original question, the only real reason that 24K is high miles is that there are so many lower mileage bikes out there. It only appears high because the typical bike is so low.

I've never understood how people can lay out thousands for a discretionary purchase, let it sit in the garage for a few years and then sell it at a loss before it's even ready for it's first oil change.

:)

·
Registered
30 Posts
There is nothing wrong with getting salvaged bikes. But you can keep thinking that and leave them for me ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts