Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i have an 03 sv650 which, as some have seen, i wrecked last year. i decided to break her down and put a custom fairing on there... of course, that means im paintin her. i fell in love with the color *secret*, and saw where cheweys or bluegauges or both had the blue and red led swap kits. well, i build circuit boards for a living and therefore opted to get ahold of the parts needed and do it myself based on their idea. i also used an illumiglo reverse style gauge cover. i put it all back together and origianlly did not have the needle in perfect spot. with the key on the needle sat at 1000 rpm, where it should have sat at zero. so i openned it up, removed the needle and placed it back on at the zero mark. to my knowledge, that should be fine.

the question!

my bike show an idle speed of 2100 rpm, but if i turn it down it sputters. it does not sound a if it is idleing high, but the tach reads 2100 rpm. other than that she drives fine and all. so, does anybody know what could be my prob and/or how to fix it?

·
Registered
973 Posts
you need to find someone else with an sv and listen to theirs. see how its firing
to get a comparison. sounds like your tach may be messed up and reading
a false high because it should not be idling any higher than 1500 at the most.
if it is and it sputters when you turn it down the bike has a problem. my bet is your tach
is off.

someone else with more expertise than I may give you better advise.

·
Registered
973 Posts
ok i just read your post all the way through.. you put something back together wrong
sounds like, im sure your bike is fine otherwise.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just bought my 05 sv650s last month and its always (as far as i know) been at 2000rpm too.
since you all say that this is high....how do i lower the idle??

or do i have to take it to a dealer?

·
Premium Member
3,061 Posts
I just bought my 05 sv650s last month and its always (as far as i know) been at 2000rpm too.
since you all say that this is high....how do i lower the idle??

or do i have to take it to a dealer?
There is a Phillips head screw on the left side of the bike. It's kinda small but you can access it even will full fairings. anti-clockwise lowers it and clockwise raises it.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I might check this out on my bike too.

I had a couple people on here tell me it sounded like my bike idled high when I posted a couple vids of it.

It idles at about 1500rpm. I'm gonna try and adjust it and see what it does. If it doesn't like it when I turn it down, I'll leave it at 1500, since I read that 1500 is actually an acceptable idle rpm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts