Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 2003 SV with 45,000 miles and lately after stopping at 7,500 ft. or above and getting off the bike for 5 or 10 minutes when I get back on and accelerate quickly I get a hesitation that feels like I'm running out of gas, if I back off the throttle it slowly goes away and after a couple of miles I can accelerate fully .....any ideas ?

·
Registered
147 Posts
disconnect the battery and reconnect it, it will reset your controller for the lack of air at altitude. It should do it by it self when riding, but sometimes computers act dumb.

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
have a 2003 SV with 45,000 miles and lately after stopping at 7,500 ft. or above and getting off the bike for 5 or 10 minutes when I get back on and accelerate quickly I get a hesitation that feels like I'm running out of gas, if I back off the throttle it slowly goes away and after a couple of miles I can accelerate fully .....any ideas ?
Fuel pressure dropping, maybe? Not vapor lock, but almost? High altitude, hot air temperature definitely contibute. Also more likely with "winter gas" if it was parked awhile.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will try the battery disconnect, the other reply about winter gas, I have gone through a lot of fill ups since "winter gas" could have been a problem, one thing I did not do this spring was clean mt K&M air filter....will do that. Thanks Guys !!

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
When you stop after riding a while, the airbox gets cooked from the engine heat....so on the restart your intake temperature sensor is going to be telling the ECU that information which will cause a leaner mixture to be injected. The fuel in the injectors and rail gets hot too which can add something to your hot-soak issue.

After running a bit, the airbox cools down and things return to normal. Might be all that is going on here. You're getting up there at 7500 ft!:)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you think the altitude is a big part of it ? typically we will be riding in the mountains and pushing it quite a bit speed wise and then only stopping to chat for 5 or 10 minutes not really much time for the engine to cool down

·
Premium Member
3,472 Posts
When you stop after riding a while, the airbox gets cooked from the engine heat....so on the restart your intake temperature sensor is going to be telling the ECU that information which will cause a leaner mixture to be injected. The fuel in the injectors and rail gets hot too which can add something to your hot-soak issue.

After running a bit, the airbox cools down and things return to normal. Might be all that is going on here. You're getting up there at 7500 ft!:)
+1 Even at sea level, it takes a hot bike about three times as long to start. Like instead of .1 sec, it takes .3
Good explanation RB

·
Registered
44 Posts
I attended college in high altitude for four years, and I had a similar problem. A few guys told me the ECU is adjusting and the gas isn't flowing consistently and to try adding seafoam. I've always used Seafoam and swear by it on motors that haven't run in a while, so I put about 1/3 of a bottle in and by the next day I never had that problem again. Don't know how it works, or why, but it did for me.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have the same issue periodically after railing it for a bit. Usually @ 8-10K feet. Runs fine but can be hard to start every once in a while.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts