Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need the opinions of my fellow forum members on a project I am contemplating. Would you rather have HID headlights or Halogens? HID are definitely brighter and last much longer but are almost 4 times the cost of halogens. I?ve seen some decent halogen bulbs that are marketed as ? xenon white? and has the HID look. Sylvania Silverstars are a good example of these performance halogens but are none the less still a halogen bulb. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
silverstars do illuminate better than a stock bulb, but burn out quicker.

nothing lights like a HID, but they cost waaay more than 4 times a halogen and you loose one of your beams

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've been thinking about doing a projector retrofit into mine to use HID's... Would be well worth it for the added visibility.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
stingray said:
If you do end up getting Silverstars, get the Osram ones not the Sylvanias.  They put out more lumens.

Ostram = Sylvania, they are the same company, same bulb unless you buy it in Europe

·
Registered
718 Posts
RandyO said:
silverstars do illuminate better than a stock bulb, but burn out quicker.

nothing lights like a HID, but they cost waaay more than 4 times a halogen and you loose one of your beams
DonnieJ figured out a way to wire the high beam shutter in an HID to work with the high beam switch.  He has the full function of both the low and high beams with the HID setup.

He wired the shutter to the high-beam lead from the switch, and jumped out the low-beam wire so that the light stays powered while in either switch position.

HID is definately better than any incandescant lamp.  It's like having a movie-projector built into your headlight!  There are no spots or rings, just a very bright, even light with excellent side spill as well.

·
Registered
165 Posts
RandyO said:
Ostram = Sylvania, they are the same company, same bulb unless you buy it in Europe
Osram bought Sylvania in the 90's but the Osram Silvertar and Sylvania Silverstar are not at all the same bulb. I have both and the difference is night and day...pun intended :).
Check out this website for more detail on this. http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/good/good.html

You can get the Osram Silverstars and the equally good Phillips Vision Plus 50 here. These are the best 60/55W H4 bulbs as far as lumen output. Nothing like HID of course, but for 15 bucks you get the maximum lumens available for a 60/55W H4. There are higher wattage H4's out there that output more lumens, but you risk melting your reflector and you might need a relay and heavier wiring to handle the draw for extended use.
http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=replabulb

·
Registered
213 Posts
nobody runs the PIAA H-4?

·
Registered
165 Posts
azrider said:
nobody runs the PIAA H-4?
I ran the extreme white PIAA H4 for awhile. It lasted a few years. I liked it, it was white, bright and had a good beam pattern. My high beam burned out one night on the Cherohala Skyway and that really sucked. I live in south Florida and took a week off to ride up there.....really bad timing for that bulb to bite the dust. Now I carry a spare bulb with me.

The Philips Vision Plus 50 and the Osram Silverstar put out more lumens than the PIAA did, although they are not as bluish white. The PIAA lits things up really well but the abrupt transition from whilte to dark where the light ended was harder for my eyes to deal with than in the case of the warmer colored beams.

·
Premium Member
6,199 Posts
Silverstars are very bright and will probably satisfy any light desires you may have....

*BUT*

Top is a single 35 watt HID headlight.

The bottom is dual 55 watt Silverstars.

What you may not be able to see is that the HID also has a *much* wider spread, almost 180*

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
stingray said:
Osram bought Sylvania in the 90's but the Osram Silvertar and Sylvania Silverstar are not at all the same bulb.  I have both and the difference is night and day...pun intended :).
Check out this website for more detail on this.  http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/good/good.html

You can get the Osram Silverstars and the equally good Phillips Vision Plus 50 here.  These are the best 60/55W H4 bulbs as far as lumen output.  Nothing like HID of course, but for 15 bucks you get the maximum lumens available for a 60/55W H4.  There are higher wattage H4's out there that output more lumens, but you risk melting your reflector and you might need a relay and heavier wiring to handle the draw for extended use.
http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=replabulb

I have never seen or heard of the "blue glass" silverstar that Daniel Stern talks about, I thing he is confusing their "cool blue" with a silverstar

but it MUST be true, it's on the internet ::)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Donnie, I agree, none of the conventional bulbs I've used hold a candle to the HID lights :)

RandyO said:
I have never seen or heard of the "blue glass" silverstar that Daniel Stern talks about, I thing he is confusing their "cool blue" with a silverstar

but it MUST be true, it's on the internet ::)
Randy, I have one in my hand right now.....Sylvania Silverstar H4 with blue tinted glass. They're all that way as far as I know. Wal-Mart, Pep Boys and most of the auto stores sell them around here. They put out a whiter light with good reflectivity on street signs etc., but not as much throw or overall luminocity as the Osram versions I have.

Take a look at the blue coating on the H4 Silverstar on this page direct from Sylvania's website.
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/AutomotiveLighting/HighPerformance/Silverstar/ProductLine/

·
Registered
111 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.