Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
My roommate put a pair of BMW e46 Bi-Xenons in his cobalt. From helping him do that, i thought a pair out of Nissan 350Z would fit in the SV nicely given that they are relatively small projectors, but i still debate about it since i like the shape of the normal headlights rather than two little projectors on the sv, i think they really give it its character

edit:
you need:
the projector(glass ball looking thing)
the light bulb
the ballast the thin grey box type of deal
and the ignitor the little black box thing

if you can...go with Bi-Xenon, then you will still have a high beam
yes they are all really bright, and research the color temp. of the bulbs you buy, you can get anything from yellow (ugly but bright) to purple (pretty dim)

if you shop around, and learn what you need, and buy them separate, you can get a decent deal, my roommate spent around 350 on his setup, and its REALLY nice.

we learned a lot from http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/. You really need to check that out

if any of this doesnt make sence, or if im totally off, someone correct me, but thats what i learned from our little project.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the goal is to go with bi-xenon, I want to have a high beam. I did not decide if I want to put 1 or 2 lights. I already read about the color temps.
I'm reading the hidplanet forum - their search function sucks!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Awesome no-nonsense read about HID lighting on cars (and bikes, kind of): http://www.intellexual.net/hid.html

CF: HID parts and bulbs that aren't made by Philips or Osram/Sylvania are shyte, using HIDs in headlight housings that aren't made for HIDs introduces a lot of glare for oncoming drivers, there's no such thing as 6000k+ bulbs, they just tint the glass blue or purple which cuts down on the actual light output.

·
Registered
341 Posts
i have a bmw hid set up on my bike wasnt too hard to figure out.. just have to make some brackets for the projector and i zip tied my ballast to my fairing stay.. if i was going to do it again i would have gotten the bi xenon for the high beam.. but they are plenty bright just make sure to get it lined up perfect..

got my whole set up (just a single hid) for just over $100 from the retrofit store on ebay.. send the guy an email they were very helpful with me when i was lookin for parts..

need ballast projector and bulb and some time to get it set up just the way you like it.. good luck.. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
back to the original question, people:
what's the difference between these kits? is bmw's better than acura's or benz's? do these kits miss parts?
don't worry about the glare, color temp and stuff like that, I know about these things.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
dackler said:
If you know about color temp, then why are you asking which ones put out the most light? Light output is affected by color temp (see above).
I thought that there are other aspects that contribute to the quality of the light than just a temperature. I was thinking about the beam pattern etc - sorry if I put it in wrong words.

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So basically what you saying is that as long as the kit is complete and finished off with 4300 bulb it is good? Should I look for the lights from european cars, are they better made/use better components?

·
Registered
399 Posts
dackler said:
WHen I did HID on my SV, I used a euro-SVS headlight (non-UK model) that had a projector for the lowbeam side.
Any picture of a euro non-uk headlight with projectors for the SV? Was that a first gen or second gen?

·
Registered
5,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thank you dackler!
I did not decide yet which ones I'll get. I found a guy that wants to sell me one light porsche kit for $155 which seems like a good price, I just got to make sure it includes everything
I found something like this on HIDplanet
"tl>porsche bixenon>fx>rx330bixenon>zkw>e55>e46>e39"
prices kinda reflect this too

·
Registered
213 Posts
this whole conversation sounds pretty damn interesting. For someone that knows nothing about HID's, I sure could use some pictures of a complete set-up for a standard naked headlight. A parts list and price would be awesome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.