Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
??? Hi: I'm thinking of putting an HID bulb in my headlight or attach as an auxillary. Does the metal halide throw out more light than the xenon?

Next, is a xenon HID bulb much hotter than the stock bulb? I can always rig a fan (small boxer), if needed.

Philips hasn't answered my emails for info. Farklemasters shows a $700 metal halide HID kit.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
408 Posts
One question....why? If you want some super bright lamp in headlight all it's going to do is make people flash their bright lights at you all the time. Besides the extreme cost in either Xenon or metal halide lamp/ballast units. Just buy the Sylvania Silver Star lamps and be done with it. Autozone has them from around $25.

·
Registered
187 Posts
i have no idea, but i'm pretty sure that bulbs with xenon gas are high pressure and the lamps that are low pressure use argon.

i think there is no difference between xenon hids and metal halide hids

most hids are xenon-metal-halide lamps, xenon being the gas they put in the bulb and metal-halides being the additives to get the right color

·
Registered
166 Posts
i got some PIAA lamps off Ebay for like $60-$70 i think, they are much nicer than the stock bulbs, more light and clearer light

·
Registered
83 Posts
You can get an H4 Xenon kit (bulb, ballast, and igniter) for about $350. They are generally plug and play and draw less power than a stock bulb. You will unfortunately lose your high beam, and can run into glare issues unless you have a projector bulb housing (SV's don't).

Try xenondepot.com. They have single H4 kits for $199.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DFW_Warrior said:
One question....why?  If you want some super bright lamp in headlight all it's going to do is make people flash their bright lights at you all the time.  Besides the extreme cost in either Xenon or metal halide lamp/ballast units.  Just buy the Sylvania Silver Star lamps and be done with it.  Autozone has them from around $25.
The idea is not to overdrive the headlight at night. Several replies warn of blasting other drivers with the beam.

·
Registered
330 Posts
lensman said:
??? Hi: I'm thinking of putting an HID bulb in my headlight or attach as an auxillary. Does the metal halide throw out more light than the xenon?

Next, is a xenon HID bulb much hotter than the stock bulb? I can always rig a fan (small boxer), if needed.

Philips hasn't answered my emails for info. Farklemasters shows a $700 metal halide HID kit.

Any ideas?
Check out the attached link for another option. http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=4106
Got this from my ST list. Some of these guys run some serious lighting for rallies.

·
Registered
408 Posts
lensman said:
The idea is not to overdrive the headlight at night. Several replies warn of blasting other drivers with the beam.
Turn on your high beams and you should be good to go. ;D Sorry, I couldn't resist. I just don't see a good reason to spend upwards of a thousand dollars on a headlight unit when you can get almost the same result for less than $100.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Honda_fan gives another good price option. Be wary of those kits that offer the "servo" operated high beam option for the H4 kits. Experience shows that those servo operated shrouds which move when you flip on your high beams break prematurely. If you're intent on getting an HID kit, just go with the H4 low beam.

·
Registered
330 Posts
HarrisburgJoe said:
Honda_fan gives another good price option. Be wary of those kits that offer the "servo" operated high beam option for the H4 kits. Experience shows that those servo operated shrouds which move when you flip on your high beams break prematurely. If you're intent on getting an HID kit, just go with the H4 low beam.
Good advice. The guys in the FJR forum mentioned the same thing in some other threads I have saved.

·
Registered
330 Posts
DFW_Warrior said:
Turn on your high beams and you should be good to go. ;D Sorry, I couldn't resist. I just don't see a good reason to spend upwards of a thousand dollars on a headlight unit when you can get almost the same result for less than $100.
In all the comparisons I've seen the HID's kick ass over any stock halogen sytems. Plus they pull less power if you want to run some heated gear on marginal systems.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yes it's a brighter light. But, if it's aimed properly just like the stock lights it will NOT help you from outriding your headlights. They will be brighter but at the same distance in front of you. That's why they make high beams. And yes they pull less power, but for the money you could just install a better charging system and run all the heated gear you want to.

Me, I'll stick to my $19 package of two bulbs that I've been using for over ten years without one problem. But hey, if you want $300-500 headlights be my guest. It just won't solve the problem of outriding your headlights.

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
if you want better lighting, instead of replacing the stock headlamp, install auxillary lighting that you can turn off when you are in traffic, you get more light that youu want and you can be courtious to other motorists

·
Registered
254 Posts
Have you tried a Silverstar bulb? I have Silverstars in my Lumina and I can't stress what a difference they make. That will be my next mod on the bike as well. If you can do a Xenon conversion, go for it! Just whatever you do, don't let people discourage your idea just because it's not theirs. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts