Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
Yes, I'm sure a company selling a competing, much more expensive product can be depended on to be impartial ;D

His points in general are completely true, but the fact is you can't predict the performance of a halogen/HID mismatch- some of them are horrendous, mk 3 Golf for instance is just awful, but in the euro SV headlight at least it works very, very well. I did a few thousand night time miles with it so far, including time spent following police traffic cars, and i'ev had it checked out by the garage that does my bike's annual roadworthiness test, and got various other opinions, nobody's had any issue with it at all. But of course, my headlights aren't the same as yours, YMMV.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
FWIW, Ii bought a 2nd gen "S" headlight off someone on this board that was using a HID bulb on one side. The reflector on that side was burnt from the heat and the clear lens was spider webbed above the bulb.

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
35W HID capsules generally run cooler than a 55W halogen :p Mine certainly do and they're entirely typical 35W bixenon. So that's sort of hard to explain. It's a common misconception that they run hot, or draw more current endangering the wiring, in fact with the kits most people will use neither is true. Perhaps your guy had used some untypical setup, or perhaps he'd previously experimented with a high wattage halogen? Or done something else daft?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Perhaps your guy had used some untypical setup, or perhaps he'd previously experimented with a high wattage halogen? Or done something else daft?
Very possible. Maybe a big assumption on my part. I knew it was broken (in another manner) when i bought it so I never questioned the seller. I only bought it to help mock up a HID projector retrofit and never intended to install either of the affected bits.

·
Registered
146 Posts
hid on my bike:

easy to install, hardest part was trying to figure out how to run the wiring.

-nate

·
Registered
7,347 Posts
For me getting the headlight aim right was the hard part, took ages... I gave up on the left hand headlight because mine is broken and doesn't have full adjustment, it's fine with halogens but the HIDs shone off to the right. The rest is just packaging.

Where did you stash your ballast btw?

·
Registered
67 Posts
took the snorkle off and velcro'd to the front of the air box. Done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.