Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone my name's justin and here in Baltimore. i just passed my MSF yesterday so hopefully i will be buying a red 2001 sv650s on tuesday morning. its really sweet only 7000 miles for 3000 out the door. just wanted to see though if there was anything to worry about with this bike as far as factory recalls or things that would need to be replaced on a bike like this. lastely i also wanted to ask how long should OEM tires on this bike last? thanks alot ive been reading this site for a while and am excited to started posting.

happy riding
justin

·
Registered
6,316 Posts
Welcome to SVR. :) If those are the 01 stock tires,change them. If new oem,ride them until you feel you need a upgrade to sport touring tires. Ride safe and have fun.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you're just starting to ride as long as the tires have tread (not down to the wear bars) you're fine. It's a great bike, all you need to do is ride the wheels off of it.
See ya on the blacktop.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Hi Justin,

Also from Baltimore - if you see a yellow second gen around town doing wheelies, get out of my way I'm not doing it on purpose ;)

good luck w/ the purchase.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha bambam ditto except ill be on a red first gen. what are your favorite places to ride in the area?

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
fffttt, bambam sits in his garage and makes vroomvroom noises. :D

Welcome to the site and good luck on the purchase of your first bike. SV are dependable little bikes, you take care of it, it will take care of you.

If those are original tires on a 01, one question..........would you trust 8 year old tires on a car?

·
Registered
465 Posts
fffttt, bambam sits in his garage and makes vroomvroom noises. :D
Almost - I don't have a garage and sometimes I like to pretend it's a cruiser so the noise are more like bubububububububroooombroooom. :p

JC - I just got it in the fall so haven't extensively explored the area. As the weather has been getting better I will usually take a spin through Fells Point and head towards town then up 83. There are some pretty nice roads that aren't to heavily traveled north of town.

Off York Rd. there are a few networks - Upper/Lower Glencoe (sp?). Little further north I stumbled on a dam up there - nice to get out of the traffic sometimes. I usually get lost :). I've had to break the GPS out a few times.

Shoot me a PM if you want to go for a spin. I still remember how it felt just coming off the safety course.

Which part of town are you in? You may also want to stop by and say hello in the MD thread - there are several folks around the area w/ SVs and there should be maintenance days every few months now that the weather is coming around.

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=87965&page=124

·
Registered
801 Posts
Welcome. Sounds like a very nice bike, low miles. Mine is an 01 SVs also. I would recommend you do a very good inspection. Mine had many regular maintenance items that were from 01 since it was non operational. Plugs, fluids, brakes ect. Tires from 01 are very questionable even if they look ok. Make a list of things you need and prioritize well, tires should be towards the top.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Get new tires when you have a chance. I bought a 2000 with 1700 miles in October with original tires that looked great. I just put some fresh rubber on and it made a big difference even while i was breaking them in.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i bought it yesterday i wont take delivery until the 17th but it looked pretty good. the owner before had painted the rear fairing black so that kinda looks crap and the rear seat looks reupholstered but not well. but the engine looks clean and the chain looks good. prolly will change the tire soon soo yeah im excited but it needs alittle cosmetic stuff. i was pricing that stuff and hope i can get all that for 100 or so. well see. ill post pictures when i take delivery

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hey man, welcome to SVR from a fellow Marylander.

I got a 2000 late last summer. I would suggest new tires, an oil change, and then come hang out with us in Bowie. You would be surprised how many mods and service ideas you can get from us!!!:eek:

We are having a maintenance day on the 21st. You are close, just a short ride south.

See you around, take it slow, and ride safely.

RK

·
Registered
463 Posts
Go to the regional threads, northeast, and then the Maryland maintenance day threads should have info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts