Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hanging out here for a couple of weeks. I found this site through a link on adventure rider. I've been riding motorcyles off and on since I was a kid and I'm in my late 30s now.

Anyway, my son bought a 2001 SV650 a few weeks ago. He'd been wanting a bike for a while so I was watching Craigslist pretty hard, and sorting through all the scams.:rolleyes:

Long story short, I picked up a 2001 with 3600 miles (yes, hundred!) for $1500!!! :eek: The bike is cherry with only a minor defect- the brake handle tip is broke off from a non-moving spill in the PO's garage. I actually prefer the handle without the ball, so I smoothed it off and it feels great!

My son acquired his motorcyle permit so now I'm looking for a bike for me so he can learn. He has to be accompanied by another licensed rider to be on the street. We're also looking into a motorcyle saftey class for him.

Unfortunately, it seems the deal we got on my son's bike was a fluke. It's probably good though because it's given me a chance to study up. Now, I'm shooting for an SV1000 (120 HP!!!).

Happy to be here and looking forward to learning!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome.
Why was the deal you got on your sons bike a fluke?
Well, if you find another deal like that, please let me know! Seriously! :)

The best deal I've found since my son's bike is $2400, and he's 13 hours away (one way) up in Minnesota so it kinda negates any savings on my end.

Smowman: I'm in the SW corner of the state near Garden City.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is it just as boring on that side of the state as it is on this side?;D
I kinda like it out here... fewer people, more open territory, nice 500 yd outdoor shooting range. I do find myself in your neck of the woods occasionally- I'm a photographer and I travel quite a bit.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good news... I bought another '01 SV650, only this one is an S model ($2500, 11K miles). Excellent condition, additional body piece on the bottom really dresses it out nicely. I drove the bike for a good while today and realized that the first bike must have an aftermarket sprocket set. The clutch is less finicky on the new one than the frst, so I offered it to my son in trade for his.

He jumped at the deal and we went riding tonight. What a blast! Dad gets the tweeked naked red bike and son gets the cobalt blue S version with the yoshi slip-on (and a more manageable sprocket arrangment for a new rider). Best of all, we've got two great bikes and we only had to spend $4K total!;D

Now I just need to get a slip-on for mine.

·
Premium Member
3,378 Posts
Congrats on both your purchases. You guys did great finding those deals. How old is your son? I definitely recommend the MSF course for him (and you). It's a good learning opportunity for him and a good brush up for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts