Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, 1st time here and looking for help. I was coming back from Prescott, AZ when my high beam indicator light went out. Stopped to look and I have no head lights at all when the switch is in the Hi beam position. I do have lights in the low beam. Checked fuses and they are all good. I checked head lights and found that one of the filaments was out so I replaced the bulbs. High beam still leaves me in the dark. I am thinking it might be the switch, but my lows work fine so I am not sure. I really don't want to take it to the dealer as it is my only source of transportation and they take forever. Any suggestions would be great.

Is it possible that a blown indicator light would cause the hi beams not to work?

No brights!

2001 SV650S with 18000 miles.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Some help?

jtraz said:
"...Is it possible that a blown indicator light would cause the hi beams not to work?..."
Possible, but extremely unlikely. The only way this could take out the whole circuit is if it shorted to ground somehow.

This shouldn't be a big deal to fix, even if this is your first time chasing loose electrons. DC power (at least in our application) is basically just plumbing: wires=pipes, switches=valves, and you must have a supply (positive) and a drain (negative). Nothing to worry about.

Unless you're lucky, you'll need to have a test light ($5) or multimeter ($10 and up) available at any auto store. You can download the electrical schematic for 1 st gen SVs at:
  • [url]http://www.sv650.org/sv_manuals.htm[/url][/list:u]I would start trouble shooting at the fuse (#1,HEADLIGHT (HI)). You said you checked them, but a visual inspection isn't always enough. Connect your test light or meter to a good ground (battery neg, or unpainted hardware on frame etc.). With the ignition switch on, touch the probe to each side of the fuse.
    • #1: If only one side has power: the fuse is bad. Replace it. If it blows again, you've got a short to ground somewhere between the fuse and the headlight (go on to #2).
      • Note: A quick n' dirty bad fuse check- swap fuse #2 (low beam) for fuse #1 (high beam). Of course, if the circuit is shorted you'll blow this fuse too, and have no lights at all, but 15A fuses are cheap![/list:u]
        #2: If both sides of the fuse have power: your problem is somewhere between the fuse and the headlight. You have to find the point where you lose the voltage.
        • #2.1: Unplug the headlight socket and look for power on the yellow wire.

#2.2: You probably won't find it, so follow the wire back to a big multi-pin connector. Look for power on the non-headlight side of that, on the yellow wire.

#2.3: Go back to the fuse box. Again, find the yellow wire and check for power.

#2.4: If you have power leaving the fuse box (#2.3) but not at the multi-pin connector (#2.2) you'll need to strip the bodywork and inspect the wiring for mechanical damage (i.e. cuts, burns). Hopefully you've already fixed the bike and are relaxing with a cold one by now; if not, you'll be needing the cold one anyway![/list:u]
          #3: If neither side has power: your problem is between the fuse and the battery (i.e switches, wiring, other fuses).
          • #3.1: Since the low beam works you're getting power as far as the high beam switch. With the switch in the high position, look for power on the Yellow/blue wire (yellow with blue tracer line) at the LH switch pod connector. If there's power there your switch is OK.

#3.2: Go back to the fuse box. Find the yellow/blue wire and check for power.

#3.3: If you have power leaving the fuse box (#3.2) but not at the switch connector (#3.1) you'll need to strip the bodywork and inspect the wiring for mechanical damage (i.e. cuts, burns).[/list:u][/list:u]Loooong post, so I'm sure there's an error or two in there somewhere. Post back if things don't add up.

Good luck!

:)

·
Premium Member
11,333 Posts
is the hi beam filiment in your replacement bulb also bad?

my high beam indicator hasn't worked in ages, but my headlights work fine

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, since it was jtraz's first and only post and it has been a few months, I don't really expect a reply. But..... jtraz, what did you find out on this? I recently purchased an '01 sv650s and I am having the exact problem you had.

TIA

Richard

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nevermind. I totalled my bike last saturday. No need for the info now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts