Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to say hi, I'm a new user and new to motorcycles, I've never had one before. I've been advised to get this model as a beginner so here it is.

2009 Suzuki SV650s with 2k miles, completely stock, paid $4800, it's in showroom condition, not a single scratch.

I got it yesterday, I'll bring it home tomorrow, don't even have a license yet.

I'll be around here, probably not too often in the beginning since I don't plan to do any mods yet. But I already found some good info on here. Is there any beginners thread which answer most of questions I would have?

I'm registered on audizine.com since I own an A4. Here is my build thread over there but needs to get updated with tons of info, just don't have the time to do it.
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/494133-(Shiro1745-s)-K0R-GT-Turbo-Build

1. I've already been advised to get this kit which I think is a good idea.
http://www.motosliders.com/MS-5.html

2. Not sure yet if I need to lower it a bit since I'm only 5.7 tall and cannot get my hills on the ground when I sit on the bike. I can reach and hold the bike with no problems but not with the hills. I love to be able to get my hills down on ground for better control, I wish there was a cheap kit to lower it a bit.

3. I've been told this, any thoughts?

Helmet (>$200 or it's junk)
Jacket (>$400 or junk, you can buy used though and that's okay!)
Gloves (>$150 or junk)
Boots (~$200 for a decent set. You need them to go past the ankle)

Cipri

·
Administrator
11,042 Posts
Helmet (>$200 or it's junk)
Jacket (>$400 or junk, you can buy used though and that's okay!)
Gloves (>$150 or junk)
Boots (~$200 for a decent set. You need them to go past the ankle)

All that is BS.

Helmet: As long as it's a DOT approved full face helmet, it will protect your head just the same. There are very nice ones for less than $100. http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/categories/street-gear/street-helmets/full-face-helmets

Jackets: Same, you can get a decent, sturdy leather or textile jacket for less than $150. Just look around. Plenty of brands and models to chose from.

Gloves: C'mon, $150?? You can get a very nice pair of armored leather gloves for $40 or less if they are on discount.

Boots: I've seen plenty of nice boots for $100 - $150.

·
Administrator
11,042 Posts
The two most important factors you should consider when buying a helmet are:

- Weight: That yellow helmet is a modular helmet (the front face of the helmet opens completely upwards). Modulars are nice but they have more moving parts and they tend to be a bit heavier. If you can live with that, then it's ok.

- Fit: Everyone has a different head shape. Every helmet is designed for a different head shape. Shape can affect the fit, comfort and internal wind noise on a helmet. You can buy a super expensive helmet like the one that Valentino uses, but if it doesn't fit your head perfectly, you're just not going to like it. Same, you could buy a cheap helmet and love the fit and comfort.

Sadly, those two factors can only be fully tested by actually trying-on the helmets at a store. Buying online is a risk unless you know exactly what you are getting.

By the way, I have this jacket and I LOVE IT!

http://motodirect.com/product/102_1...1-Solid-Black-Mens-Leather-Biker-Jackets.html

Here is my review.

·
Registered
788 Posts
All that is BS.

Helmet: As long as it's a DOT approved full face helmet, it will protect your head just the same. There are very nice ones for less than $100. http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/categories/street-gear/street-helmets/full-face-helmets

Jackets: Same, you can get a decent, sturdy leather or textile jacket for less than $150. Just look around. Plenty of brands and models to chose from.

Gloves: C'mon, $150?? You can get a very nice pair of armored leather gloves for $40 or less if they are on discount.

Boots: I've seen plenty of nice boots for $100 - $150.
+1 off1's recommendations fit my gears price points exactly. Guess we shop at the same store.

Most of my gear is Frank Thomas and cortech...with bilt making up some loose ends.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
425 Posts
Webbikeworld.com has some interesting reviews. As someone above mentioned not everyone's head is the same shape and consequently the helmet you may like might not fit. The best rule is to go to a store and try them on. There is a lot of information online so I suggest starting head to toe. Oh and WELCOME to SVR!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I wouldn't recommend lowering your bike, just because you can't get you heels on the ground. I am 5'7 and have had a number of bikes in the past 50 + years, none of which I could put both feet flat on the ground. It isn't necessary, and there is no need to compromise your cornering clearances to to so. One foot on the ground is just fine at any stop sign or light. You don't need to be astride the bike to back out of anything. I back up just fine without getting my heel on the ground, if it is an up hill go, just get off and move the bike.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
In addition to additional weight and complexity, a modular helmet is not tested by either DOT or Snell for crashworthiness at the chinbar; the chinbar is considered cosmetic, not protective. In addition, the hinge mechanism takes up space that would otherwise be used for impact-resistant material in a full-face helmet, and is located at the most vulnerable points on a human skull (the temples).

Unless you have a specific need for a modular helmet (e.g., lots of roadside stops to photograph the scenery), I recommend you stick with a non-modular, full-face helmet, preferably with Snell 2010 and/or ECE R22.05, as well as DOT, certification.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Brought the bike home on Saturday, registered it and got the permit today. I took for a short ride around the block, now I need to get used it.

I eventually got a Shark RSI helmet and a jacket from the guy who sold me the bike. They're both in great shape, I paid $75 for helmet and $25 for the jacket. I'll get new ones anyway, but this is just to get me started.

·
Registered
888 Posts
You'll be fine. Better to wear a used one that not wear one at all.

But, go ahead and shop around to find your own helmet though before too long.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts