Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have actually been a member of this forum for more than 8 months but i guess i just never posted anything. I love sv's look and because of the torque and FI (+03) and i have wanted one since before i got a bike. sadly i bought a Katana 600 instead because it was cheaper and i have slowly saved money up to buy a new bike. Don't get me wrong my KAT is a great machine but i just need something FI. but before i go running out to buy an sv. i have a few questions about the sv.

i have done a lot of 2 up sport touring on the Kat 600 and felt a lack of torque was a problem. will the 650 be sufficient on a sport touring trip through the mountains?

what are common problems with the sv /gladius lines?
how can i tell apart an sv1000 from a sv650?
what are things i should look for when inspecting an sv before purchase?
i feel as if I'm forgetting a ?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
welcome!

the sv650 is a great bike and will provide more than enough torque!

a stock sv1000 will have dual cans for the exhaust, where as the sv650 is just a single.

as with any vehicle you are looking to buy, ask for receipts or proof of maintenence. check chain and sprockets, tires especially because those will be a couple hundred $.

the main "problem" if you even want to call it one, is the stock suspension on the SV, not sure about the gladius. rear shock is not quite up to par for a lot of riders. front shocks are sub-par for most, doing a complete swap from a 06 or whatever gsxr is very common. others just change fork springs and oil and that makes a huge difference. as far as engine and mechanical goes, the first generation cranks are stronger than the second gen (fuel injected). they hold up well but if you race it then you will be making repairs.

welcome though! hopefully you find what you're looking for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts