Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tank pad is "settling":

The side grips are perfect, but this one seems to get lower every day. As it does, more adhesive is exposed, and dirt sticks to it.

Another shot:

Tech-Spec has remarkable customer service, so I'm not worried about them taking care of me, but just wanted to run this by you guys to see if anyone else has it.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
I just answered this in another thread, but this is what happened to me.

I had mine on less than a year (purchased through the SVR group buy), and recently, it kept slipping. I used a heat gun to move them back, but they keep slipping back down.

I contacted TechSpec and this is what they said:

Once the adhesive has lost its sticky-ness there is no way to replace it, the film is shot. Since you've had the pads for such a long time we would like to offer you a 25% discount on your next purchase. Your a returing customer and we value your support. Since you can't fix the previous pads we want to make it easier for you to replace your old ones. Let us know what you think and we'll get you started.

Ironically, before the group buy, I had already installed a Tech Spec Tank Pro 3 (larger than the SV kit center tank pad). That's still perfect, and it was installed several months earlier.

Needless to say, I now only have a single tank pad on left. I'm not falling for that again.

But my

·
Registered
288 Posts
Says it right on the instructions. The tank pads are a wear item. The adhesive isn't perfect, it won't last forever. I wouldn't want it to... what do you think would happen to your paint if it was permanent?! Mine will probably do the same thing, just call em up, see if they'll get you a discount on a new set.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Says it right on the instructions. The tank pads are a wear item. The adhesive isn't perfect, it won't last forever.
I just did a quick check as to when I actually got the pads from the last group buy... 11/2008. It's not even been 6 months.

For what I spent (just shy of $60 for a Tank Pro 3 and the group buy pads + shipping), I expected at least a year's worth of use.

I think I'll go buy a Thigh Master now...

tk

·
Registered
280 Posts
You should try magknight tank pads. They are not grippy, but they are aesthetically pleasing and do a great job at protecting your tank. After 2 progrips i vowed never to get another adhesive tank pad because of the shifting and dirt buildup.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
I was part of the group buy before the rally last year and had not installed them. So, I went to install them two weeks ago in preparation for the coming track season....no DICE. The paper was stuck to the adhesive and it all came off together.

So I have nice pads with no adhesive on them :dontknow:

No clue what to do now. Definitely doesn't make me want to orer another set.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was part of the group buy before the rally last year and had not installed them. So, I went to install them two weeks ago in preparation for the coming track season....no DICE. The paper was stuck to the adhesive and it all came off together.

So I have nice pads with no adhesive on them :dontknow:

No clue what to do now. Definitely doesn't make me want to orer another set.
This happened to me and they replaced mine. No questions asked.

·
Premium Member
2,059 Posts
This happened to me and they replaced mine. No questions asked.
Really...did they have your information on file? Mine was part of the group buy...so I have no clue what to tell them when I call. I need to do it ASAP though. I still have the packaging...I guess I just need a number to call.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Since I work with adhesives like this for my dayjob..I'll shed some light.

Any tape that you can feel the grab, and is "tacky"..is a pressure sensitive adhesive. The definition of a pressure sensitive adhesive is one that will still flow* at room temperature...once its cured or set. Elmers glue, would be an example of something that although an adhesive, is not a pressure sensitive, once cured/dried.

*flow means ability to move....not like flow like a liquid flowing.

The part of the adhesive that makes its tacky, are the side chains off the main backbone of the molecule. Those are what give the adhesive its "tacky" feel.

There are two aspects to any pressure sensitive adhesive.....tack and peel strength. 95 % of the time..these two are inversely proportional. If you have a high tack adhesive, its typically not that strong. Conversely, you can have an adhesive that does not feel that tacky, yet be really strong and have high peel values. There are exceptions to this generalization of course.

The issue with selling to the general public, is they do not understand the above mentioned relationship..and always associate tack with strength. So, suppliers are forced to supply a tacky adhesive, that in reality, may not work as well, as one for an application, where a less tacky one would.

Now, going back to flow...the adhesive used in the pics above..where its sliding..my educated guess would be its seeing heat...above room temp....which of course lets it "flow" more.

The reason this happens more as it gets older, is the nature of adhesive itself changes over time..which typically goes one of two ways..its get "gelly", like in the pics above, or it gets "dryer" and loses its tack over time, but usually gets stronger...think factory stickers..trying to get them off years later.

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Sooo.....what do I do about my Tech-Spec pads?

:D
See if they'll give you another set for free....and send them to my dayjob if they want a better, longer lasting adhesive. ;D

·
Registered
247 Posts
Hey guys, I was the one that headed the group buy and my middle one is sliding the same way. I am ok with it though, because its still protecting my belt buckle from scratching. I would say call them, just go to their website and say you purchased through a group buy.

I thought it was just me at first, but it seems like its happening to a few people.

Shuluke

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I was in on the group buy about a year ago and mine are holding up fantastic! Mind you, my SV gets ridden a fair chunk of time...about 6000 miles in under a year but I keep her inside a garage and covered. You guys with this slippage, do your bikes spend a good deal of time sitting in the sun?

It's been a while since installing but I think I used alcohol to clean the paint prior to adhesion, then waxed the exposed areas.

·
Registered
13,319 Posts
If I had to guess, it would be a sun thing. Heating up the pad (compound this by the fact that it's black), would make sense. Of course, I think Harsh said he was having issues, and his is garage kept. So I dunno. :dontknow:

Also, I don't have the middle pad. I have the side ones, and my middle is one of those fancy "Pro-Grip" CF tank protectors.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If I had to guess, it would be a sun thing. Heating up the pad (compound this by the fact that it's black), would make sense. Of course, I think Harsh said he was having issues, and his is garage kept. So I dunno. :dontknow:

Also, I don't have the middle pad. I have the side ones, and my middle is one of those fancy "Pro-Grip" CF tank protectors.
Nope, I installed these after my bike moved into my buddy's garage. It started when it was still there full time.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts