Suzuki SV650 Riders Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've decided that I can't sell my SV, ever. I've had her for almost 2 years now, and got offered almost what I paid for it, and still couldn't do it. I would like to upgrade a few things on her and make it a bit of a different ride for the winter though.. My plans are +1 sprocket in the rear, desnorkel, jet kit, GSXR rear shock, GSXR front end, and some new rearsets since mine got toasted after my lowside.. Just got some questions on the following stuff..

+1 sprocket : Do I need a new size chain? I hear 525 520 etc. etc, not sure what I need.

desnorkel : Does it work well with a slipon (holeshot to be specific)? I can tell my bike is running a little rich as it is, I don't want to over kill it though by doing this mod though if I'd need a full system

Holeshot exhuast : Well i know holeshot doesn't make a full system for the SV, but I love the look and sound of this pipe too much to get rid of it.. can you buy just a midpipe/headers from somewhere and hook it up to the holeshot can? If so, where can you get 'em?

GSXR rear shock : Ok, I have the part already, looks to be in very good condition.. my friend said I should take it to a bikeshop to get it recharged anyways.. it appears to be a really low mileage shock, is this necissary (i.e would you do it?).. and I don't have the upper bolt which I hear you need.. do I need to order the specific bolt from suzuki? Or can I just go to a hardware store and pick out a longer bolt.. if so, what am I looking for? (size, material, design etc.)

GSXR front end : I heard you can get a new bearing from someone on the board so the forks will fit in an '01 SV.. who do I PM? Also, if you did it, do you just wire in the GSXR controls to the SV (throttle cable, headlights, horn etc?) I know I'd hafta find a place to put the choke cable, so I figured I'd probably end up just running the SV controls on the GSXR clipons.. though I wonder if the GSXR throttle cable would work on the SV, I think the cable pull is much shorter so cranking on the throttle wouldn't mean bending your wrist at such a crazy angle. My only other question would be what front tire fits a '04 GSXR (600/750) front end/what brake discs size, but I THINK that was answered in the stickied topic about the forks..

Thanks for any help folks,

-Matt

·
Registered
278 Posts
Chain: You do not need a new chain size if you stay with the 525 that comes on the bike. There are 2 things here, chain width and chain length. 520, 525, 530 all describe the chain's width. The stock sprockes are 525 width. The chain is 110 links long or 108 if you have S model. You will need to match the sprocket width with the chain width (ie: 525 for all of them) and I would use a 110 link length.

Desnorkle: This will require a rejet of the carbs.

Shock: which model and year are the shock from? If its one of the usual swaps the stock upper bolt should work fine.

Front end: Worry about the bearings (PM TWF) and getting the forks on there first. The clip-ons and controls are easy issues once you get the forks mounted.
The stock tire size for a GSXR is a 120/70-17. SV is 120/60-17. Either bike can run either tire or even a 120/65-17... the most important numbers to you will be the 120 and 17, the 60, 65, 70 are series of tire and tell you about profile, not fitting applications.

You will also have problems with the spedometer on your bike if you do front end swap... this is the hang up for most people, be sure you know exactly how you are going to fix this part before you start.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Throttlecrazed said:
Chain: You do not need a new chain size if you stay with the 525 that comes on the bike. There are 2 things here, chain width and chain length. 520, 525, 530 all describe the chain's width. The stock sprockes are 525 width. The chain is 110 links long or 108 if you have S model. You will need to match the sprocket width with the chain width (ie: 525 for all of them) and I would use a 110 link length.

Desnorkle: This will require a rejet of the carbs.

Shock: which model and year are the shock from?  If its one of the usual swaps the stock upper bolt should work fine.

Front end: Worry about the bearings (PM TWF) and getting the forks on there first. The clip-ons and controls are easy issues once you get the forks mounted.
The stock tire size for a GSXR is a 120/70-17. SV is 120/60-17. Either bike can run either tire or even a 120/65-17... the most important numbers to you will be the 120 and 17, the 60, 65, 70 are series of tire and tell you about profile, not fitting applications.

You will also have problems with the spedometer on your bike if you do front end swap... this is the hang up for most people, be sure you know exactly how you are going to fix this part before you start.

Hope that helps  :)
The shock is an '01 GSXR1000 shock, so the '01 SV650S stocker's bolts should bolt right up to that? That's good news!

I found the website (I think TWF's?) SVraceshop store that sells the bearings for $50, I'll be giving them a call tommorow.

.. I just got the rear shock in the mail today, and the front end is on the way.. but i'm still hunting for a front wheel, rotors, and fender.. glad to hear I won't be needing to get new tires yet, since my pilot powers still have a few thousand miles left in 'em, for street riding atleast.

Thanks a ton for the help.

-Matt

·
Registered
505 Posts
Matt - That GSXR-1000 shock is 7.5mm shorter than your stock SV shock, which is going to significantly lower your ride height in the rear. That's not good! Send us your shock, and we'll revalve it for the SV and set it up specifically for you, in addition to lengthening it. We can lengthen enough to get a few mm of it back, you'll need a set of shorter dogbones to get the full ride height back. The ones you want are the 100mm length that we have in the online store at www.SVRaceShop.com. We also have all of the other parts you need for the GSX-R front end swap, wheels, rotors, etc. Definitely give us a call at SVRaceShop, we can help you out.

Here's some leisure reading for you:
http://www.svraceshop.com/SVShockUpgradeFAQ.asp

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Hey Matt, don't worry about the speedo too much with the GSX-R front end. There's a solution in this thread that is inexpensive and easy to do. And if you go with a 120/70 front tire your speedo will be accurate too!

I was also going to recommend that you look into the SVRaceShop shock rebuild before Jarel posted it! ;)

Have fun this winter!

·
Registered
899 Posts
Hey! Sounds like some good winter work! Sorry you live where you have winter! I'm in sunny California and I ride year around! ;D Just had to rub it in a little! Can't address all your questions, but I'll give my 2 cents on a couple of them! Desnorkeling is a great mod that is worth the effort. On my gen 2 bike it made a difference in the final HP after having it dyno tuned. Not sure if you have the N or S model bike, but the Nakid bike has a 110 link chain and the S model has 108 links. I have played around with sprockets quite a bit (I'm afraid I'm obsessed with finding the perfect gear ratio) and I've found that you can go up 2 teeth (44 to 46 on my S model) in the rear with the stock 15T front sprocket and with 108 links in the chain. No more room after 2 teeth! Should also be OK with the N model going up two from 45t to 47t with the 110 link chain. My thoughts on only going 1 tooth (since I have done it) is that there is VERY little difference! I would suggest going 2 teeth since your stock chain will work and you will notice a little more grunt! Up two in the rear gives noticable grunt and not too buzzy on the freeway! Good luck and I'll be thinking about all you with your bikes in the garage while I am loving my V-Twin on the open road!

·
Registered
505 Posts
MattLikesbikes said:
^Thanks! gave you guys a call today. Will probably give you one tommorow too.. haha ;D
That's cool Matt, and if you want to chat with me just call in the evening (after 5:00 Central), I'm there most evenings. Just beware, I'll talk you into a slipper clutch, I can't stop raving about them!!! ;D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts